• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Unusual rock

Vanish

I have found this rather unusual rock. Does anyone know what it might be. It's very hard and quite brittle. It almost appears to be melted in areas.
ypa8uryr.jpg

Here it is again
u3uhy9y2.jpg

Here are a couple of others that I'm considering using.
u3ubeva7.jpg

I can't say for certain but it looks like ironstone,not sure if it would be a good idea in an aquarium but someone else might have a better idea on that.

I was wondering if it may have iron in it because of the slight brownie colour. Also considered basalt.
One for the geologists

Reactions: DTL
Yup there's iron in it. I chipped a tiny amount off and attracted it to a magnet. Bit of a shame as I like the look of it. Anyway I think the other two will be fine. I may set about the larger one with a chisel, as its a real big lump.

I was afraid it might be :(
I don't know about the other 2 rocks,always worth doing the old fizz test with vinegar to see if they're inert or not.

it looks like basalt to me. even the melting bit seems to point to a igneous rock such as basalt.

Hi all,
even the melting bit seems to point to a igneous rock such as basalt.
I think it is "slag" from metal ore processing. Depending where you are in the UK you should be able to find which metals were mined and refined locally. If it is from steel production it will be quite limy ("basic slag") and contain some phosphorus.

cheers Darrel

Its definitely iron stone. I grew up in Eston playing in the hills that were formerly iron mines and saw a LOT of this stuff.

Yup there's iron in it. I chipped a tiny amount off and attracted it to a magnet. Bit of a shame as I like the look of it. Anyway I think the other two will be fine. I may set about the larger one with a chisel, as its a real big lump.
I don't see why you need to be ashamed. Aren't people running around in a hysteria because they think they need more Iron in the plants diet? There is no reason whatsoever to ban Iron containing rocks from your tank. Iron is a commodity.

Cheers,

Back