• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roots and branches from the garden

Anyone know if it is safe to use shrub roots/branches from the garden in an aquascape?

I recently dug up two Hebe bushes that had outgrown their space and cut them down into a lovely sized twisty rootball that would look fantastic in an aquarium, just not sure if they can be used or not.

I'll try and photograph/upload them at the weekend.

Perfect thanks, doesn't mention hebe specifically but I may wait for it to dry out more for a few months, then go the boiling/oven/soaking route and see if it works.

cheers

I am a horticulturalist and to be honest I wouldn't use that type of thing in an aquarium.
While I'm uncertain as to whether it would have any toxicity issues,it would rot relatively quickly compared to hard woods.

As Miranda comments on the roots/branches will rot pretty quickly. You should also watch out for any sap leaching out of the pieces as I believe they are potentially toxic (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Michael.

We used to have a saying, "When it doubt, Throw it out" But now adays the thing you throw out you'll miss!!! Well thankfully you got forum people to ask. Maybe some pictures btw would help ^_^ Though rooty pieces tend to rot away faster then barky pieces. Hope you the best though in your decision making.

Back