• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project High flow DIY reactor - now with video

Excellent thread and great build.

I'm considering making one of these but just wondering if any one is using one on an external filter, and if so how is it going?

I have a fluval 405 external filter and was hoping I could run one of these reactors on it. Before I go spending a load of money do you think it will work?
cheers.

Going to hopefully start the build on mine tomorrow, making 2, one on each external.

Going to be running them off 2 TT EX1200's, will let you know how it goes!

Welllllllll, I have made a start, but I hit a hurdle. I definately need elbow joints to fit the hose onto the units. The attachments at the moment stick out too far, and cause the hoze to kink :(

However, I have successfully frilled and put the bulkheads into one of the head of the water filter unit :) Had to improvise a little bit...the drill bit I had was too small, so had to enlarge the hole, but then I made it too big....urgh. Cobbled together a couple of rubber washers, some ptfe tape (is that how you spell it?) and a bit of super glue...worked a treat!

Getting the correct sie drill bit on Saturday, and I have ordered the elbowed connectors you linked to in this post somewhere...hopefully they will be here by Saturday!

Cool well done for having a go, I've ordered my filter housings now so won't be far behind you. Will you be using proper cO2 tubing or airline as foxfish does?

Yeah it will be co2 tubing, well in the most part if I can, I havent ordered any extra yet, but I dont think I will need to, hopefully....

I got the filter housings I linked to above in this post somewhere, paid an extra £5 to get some connectors, but they are straight ones, not elbow. Thought they'd be ok, but no :(

I could, but it would still cause a kink. I dont think the elbows will be here tomorrow :( So I may have to hack it all together! Also struggling to get a bottle inside to stick to the head of the filter housing, may have to superglue it down!

Could you try attaching them together with a small piece of tubing or something similar? Pop to b and q take your bottle and housing with you and check in their plumbing section for something that fits which you could cut down to size,I'd not use glue as you nee to take it apart to clean possibly, just a thought:)

Right got all the bits for my reactor and started building it last night.

Got two 3/4 elbows, a coke bottle, co2 tubing and a home made diffuser.

JzfzQWm.jpg

I started by making a diffuser. I used maple wood as its very tight grained and should produce small bubbles. I drilled a hole in the end of it and siliconed an air line connection into it.

ElfOh8j.jpg

Next I fitted the co2 tubing. The filter housing I bought had a small screw cap on top of it (not sure what its for?) So I unscrewed the cap and just enlarged the hole to 5mm which was a very very tight fit on the co2 tubing, it took a lot of force to pull it through. Once it was through i siliconed it in place.

9oCNURG.jpg

Next I siliconed the elbows in place, one pointing slighty forward to help with hose fitment as space is tight under the cabinet.

paLNKVV.jpg

Next I drilled a hole in the side of the bottle and feed the co2 tubing through then connected the diffuser.

pIxHO9D.jpg

and siliconed the bottle in place. I found a coke bottle to be the easiest fit as the bottle neck has a long taper, its easy to cut it off at the right length so its a snug fit over the short tube on the filter housing.

YpRco0E.jpg

then set it all aside to dry over night. going to connect it up tomorrow. wish me luck!

RcqFvZZ.jpg

Awesome! I'm still waiting for my elbows to be dispatched! Placed the order on the 23rd may...
Not great service!!

Its going to be connected up to a fluval 405 full of media so flow rate wont be massive?

I I had to settle on the coke bottle after messing up 2 pepsi bottles :)

I did try a 1l robinson squash bottle but it was to large to fit into the filter housing.

Jojo where did you order the elbows from?

I got mine from here and they came next day.
16 20 25 32 barbed 1/2" 3/4" 1" male Straight, elbow, tee, Irrigation pipe | eBay

The 20-3/4 is right for 16/22 hose
the 16-3/4 is right for 12/16 hose.

I've used a bottle of fizzy Buxton water in my 10" flask, running in an Aquis 1000. I have bubbles in the tank. I need something that'll fit the flask properly, any suggestions?

Back