• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glutaraldehyde!

How much 2% glut could be used in 35l tank for spot dosing BBA without harming shrimp

I have a small amount of BBA remaining after a high light not enough co2 and circulation problem. sorted by turning off one of the 3 t5, and remembering to top it up daily for better flow, melting hc started showing signs of life again

Atm tank is not dosed daily with glut but BBA still there but not growing

I think with shrimp your only safe to go to 1ppm.

So rearranging formula for 2% Glute and 35 L aiming for 1 ppm is:

((1 x 35) / 20000) x 1000 = 1.75ml

That sounds about right daily dose is 1ml for 50l tank and i wasnt sure if i could double it. So i'll hit it with 1.7ml every other day
I know some inverts more sensitive to it than others just like humans. I read a guy wore elbow length nitile gloves cos he was sensitive to his tank when pruning

I ordered about a month ago and it turned up really quick. Like a day or two. Give 'em a bell.

Hi all, Sent for mine 3/5/13 not received it or any explanation as to why not, they are not answering any of their phones or receiving emails,:( Does not look good.

When I got mine, which was about 6 months ago, I ordered it at a time I knew I was off work doing stuff on the house and would be in all week. It should have come on the Monday and finally arrived on the Friday. All attempts to contact any human at Bonnymans was a complete waste of time. When I got through on the phone they were full of promisses to get it sorted, but nothing happened. They never replied to a singl email. They were simply not interested. I think the problem is that the order quantity is too low for them to make money and they know they'll not get repeat orders from the likes of us.

Bonymans <=> Severe Dislike.

Regards, Mike.

My thoughts are make up 3% solution, so 60ml in a litre. That way at normal dosing, as above, you will get the same 0.8 mg/L as Excel.

That's what I plan on doing when I make up my next litre stock. As I am seeing no effect on the little BBA I have either.

Martin, have you done this yet?

Not yet pal. Need to make up a new stock this weekend so going to make it up to 3%.

I've noticed though, dosing this DIY flute up to round about 8ppm has no effect on BBA. Whereas excel kills it at just a double dose.

There's definitely something else in there other than glute.

Just a heads up.
I managed to get through to bonnymans via phone on a weekday. I think their offices are closed at weekends.
The e-mail address on their contact us page is incorrect and you just get a failed delivery report.
I did a search and came back with a couple of email addresses for them but got no response to any of my emails.

If you need to contact them phone them in the morning on a weekday.

When I finally did get through to them they they couldn't find my order on their system at all. It was only when I mentioned that I payed with paypal that the issue was resolved.

It seems that bonnymans and around 100 other companies had had their paypal accounts hacked and while every thing went through as normal the money was going to a scammer :(

unfortunately for bonnymans they couldn't know about the problem until the customer contacted them as they had no record of an order.

I was assured that the problem had been sorted and paypal knew of the problem.

As soon as I got off the phone with bonnymans I filed a case with paypal. I'm still waiting to see if I get my money back :(

I also placed another order with bonnymans and payed with paypal double checking the payable address was the one bonnymans gave me and I got my glut 3 days later :)

If you placed an order a few weeks ago and payed with paypal go and check your paypal account and update your passwords just to be on the safe side.

There is definitely something else in Excel other than glute.

I made up some 3% glute solution and dosed to double a normal Excel dose. I have a couple of little tufts of BBA. Nothing happened to them.

Waited a couple days for glute to decompose. Bought some Excel, double dosed that (supposed to be 1.5% glute) and the BBA turned orange!!

So either Excel is not 1.5% and is infact a lot stronger. Or there is something else in the bottle other than glute.

Is it possible that the 50% solution isn't quite 50%? is there any way to test it?

I mixed up a 500ml bottle with 485ml of water and 15ml of glut and have been dosing 10ml in a 200l tank for nearly a week. It hasn't got rid of the small amount of bba/gsa but its not getting any worse, also I've had no algae at all on the front glass since dosing glut which would normally start to show up a few days after cleaning it off.
The plus side my plants are doing much better! especially my tenellus which was looking a bit drab and slow growing has now sprung to life and looking much better.

Just got to work on flow and co2 now.

Also got my money back from paypal so happy with that.

I found that it was doing nothing at all. I mixed more and used 40ml to 960ml water. I started off dosing 7ml (360l tank) gradually increased and I now chuck in 40ml. I've been doing this for some time now and it's had the desired effect on the BBA.

Looks like just have to dose more eh. Does excel or any glute kill the BBA on the leaf edges? Or do they need cut off?

Back