• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

carpet plants and corydoras and hoplo

arron nolan

Seedling
Im looking to have carpet plants in my tank but im abit unsure weither i should or not because i have 6 corys, 2 hoplos and dont wanna put carpets in if there going to rip them up. im new to aqua scaping. any advise would be amazing. thankyou

in my limited experience it does depend on the plant.

I have 2 corys and they made merry mischief with the HC when I attempted to plant that.

the dwarf hairgrass seems to have been abit more resilient to their rooting.

something like blyxa japonica could work and makes a nice carpet if kept small

Thankyou for your reply. i guesed that might be the case. iv got a few plants very simular to the one you showed me. il save abit of money then :) manythanks

Hi Arron
I have 9 corys, 6 pandas and 3 sterbai and I have dwarf hairgrass growing quite well, although I wouldnt call it a carpet. They have the odd rummage but done no damage at all. In fact they help dislodge bit of food etc that get stuck in the leaves. Wonderful little fish.

Hoplos get pretty big. When I used to keep one I found that it would uproot most types of stem plants by swimming through them after replanting, never mind carpet plants! One of my favourite fish though - makes me wish I had a big softwater tank filled with discus, angels, festives, Satanoperca, hoplos, bleeding heart and diamond tetras and some Brochis, but not sure they'd let me grow any plants in there!

Iv got a another tank with cichlids and an aray of catfish from featherfins to white spot doradids so if they grow to big i could put them in ther if you think theyd hokd there own? Thankyou all for your help i realy apreciate it

Hairgrass and corys are ok, although they do uproot it quite a bit. Just needs replanting every so often.

Cory shouldn't bother the plants too much if you leave them a beach. I have hair grass and s.repens that they root near, but don't disturb. I also have some micranthemum micranthemoides that has shallow roots yet survived fine.

Thankyou all for you advise.its been a huge help. still abit confused by plant familys because sooo many plants look the same but il get ther. :D

Back