• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

frozen food

Willard

Hi all
Maybe a daft question but every day I feed my fish a block of frozen blood worm & a block of other frozen food in the morning, then at night tetra flake.

Is this OK or can I over do the the frozen food?

I tend to feed them 3 times a week as an alternative treat. Usually feed'em flakes with a rest day.

Hi Willard,

I don't think there is an all in one answer. Depends on your fish, and the frozen food. If you've got more insectivores like maybe rams (?), I don't see why it should be a treat only - it's their natural diet. Bear in mind that they don't only eat one type of creature though so mix it up! They would be targeting this food in the wild rather than flakes! Some fish need more greens, like rainbows, so I'm not sure they would appreciate insect only grub (pun intended) - if you've got veggies, feed them some fresh greens like peas, spinach or courgette - I couldn't believe it when mine went crazy for these! I believe 5 a day is ok (bad joke)

I've also read loads of threads of people not trusting frozen blood worm and. quite a few people have lost fish shortly after feeding them. I've not had this myself but its made me think twice about using them - the live version is also far more fun!

I can't remember who it is, but one of the mods or at least very regular posters, has a tank where he adds loads of micro fauna to it, basically there are loads of wild micro organisms for his fish to feed on- sounds like the ultimate tank to me.

Most prepared fish food is like us eating ready meals all the time, nature is far better at getting things right! have a read up on micro worm cultures and breeding your own daphnia, I reckon this is the fish version of heston blumental!

Frozen food is fine but do bear in mind any uneaten food will rot down quickly and also you need to feed a lot compared to dried food for the same nutrional value as a lot of it is water!

Many fish breeders use live or frozen food to condition the fish prior to breeding, I have bred many species and I know I couldn't of done it without frozen food, I like to use bloodworm but the one that I like for small fish/fry is cyclops

I've just started using frozen food. Using Brine Shrimp and Bloodworm. The fish go nuts for them. I'd like to use live but there is nowhere near me that sells it.

Wingless fruit flies are very easy to culture, and are excellent food for surface feeders. I thought my Killifish were nicely coloured 'til I started feeding these. Astonishing results.

Back