• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal My new pond

Added 5 more fish today,
Goshiki (30cm)
030320131170_zps86ca011b.jpg

Sanke (28cm)
030320131172_zps4bdeb102.jpg

Orenji Ogon (approx. 36-38cm - forgot to measure it!)
030320131164_zps93274a0c.jpg

Yamabuki Ogon (45cm)
030320131153_zps867cc0cf.jpg

Kohaku (47cm)
030320131156_zps026824a4.jpg

I've also been messing with the static section of the filter to make it larger as the flow is so high through the filter. While I was doing it I left the bend on pointing up and was amazed when I saw a little eddy in the water. The opening of the bend is about 8" below the water and I'm still getting this vortex!
th_03032013013_zpsbb93021b.jpg

Loved this journal Ed, there's some money's worth in there! Hope you don't have any stalks around near you!

Any chance of a fps (full pond shot) lol.

Loved this journal Ed, there's some money's worth in there! Hope you don't have any stalks around near you!

Don't you mean Heron? (very common bird) what's a stalk? (Thing that a flower grows on?)

As for value, and I am sorry to say this, not all koi are expensive. (Popular misconception) A koi is only worth what some one is willing to pay for it, but the really expensive ones have not been interbred.

Martin's right not all koi are worth a lot of money. Mine have cost me from £10 upwards (most significantly upwards!). All of them are British too, bred from very high quality Japanese and own bred broodstock by a breeder in Weston Super Mare.

The pond is netted at the moment to prevent fish jumping and herons paying a visit. Long term plan is for fishing line strung at the top of the fence posts as herons don't like to walk under obstructions and won't fly in if their wings touch anything.

I was involved in a Koi breeding & selling business in the mid 80s until the mid 90s, at that period in time koi were extremely expensive fish!
Most fish were of Japanese or Israeli origin & to be honest of very good quality! However... it was not unusual to see fish for sale at £10 per 1" for small no selected fish or individually priced in the £1000 - £10,000 range for nice selected fish!
We were producing 200.000 fish per year & selling around 30-40 1000 fish a year, all breed under heated glasshouses from Japanese breeding stock but the trend eventually faded out & the a hobby for the average person developed....

Great pond ed. I managed to see all pictures up to fitting pipe work and skimmer. Shame that. Because it was a very great project to follow. Also could see pictures of your fish. I have learned loads from your thread ed. mine starts in January. Decided to now get it fibre glassed. When built. You know what your doing mate. Thanks for sharing FredFred

Back