• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus in Hard water

And a shot of the blue one. sorry my camera is poo:(
CRIM0022_zps97baedd0.jpg

Thank you will try and get a better shot of the full tank:) do you think its the hard water that as made them small?. The tank sits 4ft up and divides the front room and the dining room its led by 5 35w halolite 65000k and 4 Tmc leds 65000k 8hrs a day gas c02 and El fertz ph 7. Filters 1 fluval305 and a All pond EF1400 so a good turn over for a 180l tank.
CRIM0001_zpsccda805a.jpg

Don't know of any breeders in Hull or in East yorkshire so if any one out there does can you let me know plz.

Not much of an issue in my view now , but note that the fishes eye's appear large,
Several small feeding's each day ,will help the young fish to grow,develop, to point where eye's appear small rather than ;large which indicate stunted growth.
Blood worm's although enjoyed by most fishes, are largely water/moisture by content,(little nutritional value) and considering where these are gathered from,,may increase the possibility of intestinal parasites.(opinion's vary)
Would stay with good quality flake food with higher protein % like Ocean nutrition while fish are quite small, and get fish started on quality pellet' food as soon as possible.
The Discus I kept were fond on Tetra bit's,New life spectrum,spirulina pellet, Brine shrimp, Ocean nutrition flake .
Once the fish grew larger,,I used larger pellet food's, along with bit's of frozen krill,chopped earthworm's,meal worm's,Freezedried Cricket's (Fluker's).
I did not offer Beef heart,and only served the blood worm's as treat maybe once a week, and soon ceased with the blood worm's altogether due to issues with Angel fish ,and the Discus which I admittedly speculated,, that the blood worm's were contributer's.

:( Got home tonight and my blue one is not a happy Discus. The small mark you can see in the top photo is bigger and he was on his side. So gas off Lights right down and air stone in. It's not a c02 issue but if he is feeling a bit off it's for the best and a dose of API Melafix see how he is in the morning.

Didn't like to comment in case your fish were just a bit photo shy but in the last photo the blue discus didn't look too happy there. :(

Going to defrost some food see if he will come out and eat. he as been swimming about so i hope it just a bit of stress from moving him from the shop - home?
the other one is fine so i'll just have to wait and see.:(

He was swimming about this morning when i came down and shot off in to the plants when i went near the tank and he came out for some food last night so fingers crossed he will be fine. going to keep lights on low and turn gas down for the next week let them settle in.

£25 each so i know thats not a lot but it is to me i've been saving for them "get me i sound like my 12 year old son" but i have been saving. I have had my eye on them in the shop for a few week and kept going back to see how they were getting on and they were fine i think it my be the move well i hope it is. And thank you for the Discus show info Doncaster is only 45 min drive so have also joined Bidka and got more info thank you. Going to carry on with Melafix for the next few days and see hoe he/she gets on. How do you sex them at this age?:)

Its a lot for tropical fish at the end of the day. Until discus i was used to 99p tetras so paying 20 odd quid a fish was a shock. Just for future reference i got my fish from steve punchard (of punchards discus) for 20 quid each and they are of superb quality. Colours are just starting to show, they are slightly larger than yours but at a guess id say there younger as the colours havnt come out as much as yours yet. Bidka is a cracking site for discus..... just take what some members say with a pinch of salt as there are a lot of "discus must be kept in r.o water in a barebottom tank with two waterchanges a day" which is simply not the case. As far as sexing goes ive never bothered to sex mine as they are too small yet and i must have got like 6months before they are of a breeding age anyway. There is a few videos on how to do it on youtube but it doesnt look that easy!

But yeah, if you are after more fish there will be some great ones at the show, there will be some good deals too! Also if cash is a problem post on the classifieds section of bidka for juvinile discus. A lot of peoe breed on there and there might be someone near you with great juvinile fish for sale cheap.

Still touch and go will the blue one one min he is swimming about the next on his side 3 days in to melafix just have to wait and see. when the lights go out on a night he seam a lot more active and only comes out if i put some blood worm in ( defrosted ). I was thinking of contacting the shop and see what he has to say see if he will give me an other one if he dies. i hope not i hate it when that happens. :(

Back