• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I do enjoy your scapes as there is always so much opinion, and you throw yourself open to the opinions of the masses.

I suppose what i would like to see is some sort of complex rockwork, with layers and some more height. You have a great eye for natural looking rockwork and i beleive its something you could achieve

I do enjoy your scapes as there is always so much opinion, and you throw yourself open to the opinions of the masses.

I suppose what i would like to see is some sort of complex rockwork, with layers and some more height. You have a great eye for natural looking rockwork and i beleive its something you could achieve
Thanks mate.

Well, I am doing this 'scape for me, but it's really nice to have the opportunity to share the journey, and if others can learn something from it with me... well, I think that's what UKAPS is all about. Sharing the passion. :)

The bad news mate is as one of the few high profile aquascapers in the country and with so many people looking up to you and to you for inspiraton that maybe it's obligatory that you push a few boundries and take a few chances... No Pressure then! :lol:

I actually like layout 8, and as said the plants make the scape IMO, I mean you could do loads of different scapes with that layout. I wouldn't really compare any of those with scree, apart from maybe the first on the other page. The only thing that is making people think of scree, is the rocks IMO, any layout done with those will look a little like scree. Until you get it planted you can't really compare IMO. I'm not sure you can say you have a comfort zone...again because scree became quite famous, you will automatically be linked with iwagumi. Anyone that thinks that should have a peak at your back catalogue.

Keep the pics coming mate!

8 for me :)

re the UG tis an odd beast. some say it doesnt like ferts so does better in sand. Ive just used some 1-2 grow from the same pot in my two tanks.

90cm was a new tank with new amazonia so an ammonia spike to go through and no bacteria in the tank = dead :(

nano mini-m was an existing scape with amazonia and bacteria = still alive and growing :)

tropica ferts and same water in both tanks and both had easycarbo (but I believe it doesnt like this) so for me i'd go with it not liking ammonia or a tank with no bacteria or both! Maybe on a new tank it would be best to go with gravel and a seeded filter and see how it goes?

Im going to try it again in the 90cm now its a bit more established and see how it goes.

Hi all,
the UG tis an odd beast. some say it doesnt like ferts so does better in sand
I've only ever grown it as an emersed plant in the same conditions you would use for most carnivorous plants, acid, nutrient poor growing conditions and no fertilisers. I'd try something like peat fibres or sphagnum as a rooting medium to get it going. <utricularia graminifolia | UK Aquatic Plant Society>
Ugraminifolia.jpg

This link is interesting as well <Utricularia graminifolia pictures - Carnivorous Plants in Cultivation - Carnivorous Plants UK>

cheers Darrel

Number 8 for me depending on the planting, UG would work really well and I'm sure you'll have better luck with it since you're a planting wizard.

Glad to see you're back safe and sound btw, nice to see your tanks from the beginning again too!

Sweet setup George! The new light looks cool. I found even the double 1000nd powerful above a tank size like this, so this start to be challenging with this much power. Mine started to flash after a while so replaced them after 1 year, but they did the job well before. Looking forward to the new ideas what you came up with.

It's good to have you back mate! ;)

I would skip mini landscape this time. Like others said project s looks a bit similar which isn't bad but time to try other challenges. I loved that scape by the way.

So you mentioned petrified wood which isn't harden the water and if you use soft water i may would try some mosses and other species which shows up better in this condition.

UG is good too we also giving new chances to be successful with it. Now after some dry start in Aquasoil Africana, No carbo, no nitrate heavy fert, co2 needed a bit more probably, low flow lower light, so this might be not your partner with these led cannons ;) but works well for us in a default eheim aquastyle nano tank.

Would love to see some moss scape from you George.

Take some risks George! I'd say you have mastered the "one-big-slanting-rock" iwagumi, time to try something else. Or keep a similar iwagumi but experiment with plants. Glosso in front and HC at the back for an illusion of depth? Or Riccia in front and mini Riccia behind.

Thinking different rock. These hardscapes make me feel that I have liked them already...

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the input, guys. It's really great to here your views. :)

So, as promised, and as suggested by many of you; here's some layouts using a different hardscape material - Petrified Wood.

For your interest I've had these rocks for years, but have never used them for an Iwagumi in my own tank.

These pieces were hand-selected direct from Unipac, and they've been used in various exhibitions, trade shows etc. I think the textures are amazing and can't believe I've waited until now to use it properly for myself.

I'm also beginning to think about plant choice now, if indeed I go for an Iwagumi.

HC and/or glosso around the more open areas, with various grasses between the rocks. Possibly mosses around the rocks too. I'd like to blend a lot of the planting for a more naturalistic style.

As always, I'd love to hear what you all think. :)

iwagumi11.jpg

iwagumi12.jpg

iwagumi13.jpg

iwagumi14.jpg

Going to have to go with 14.
Nice to see that after time away, the faces are the same but the inspiration still excels.

Back