• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Solenoid

lawrencezarb

My Aquamedic Pulse solenoid has died on me and I am looking for a replacement.

I have come across Welding solenoid like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAS-SOLENOID- ... 19d6359337

And was wondering if it would be suitable as they are much cheaper that aquarium specific

My main concern would be the length of time to solenoid would be energised for because in a welder they would only be energised for short periods.

You could always ask for the spec sheet from the supplier, but for that price i may give one a go. The bit that apeals to me is that it can come in a 12vdc type :)

Things to look out for are:

- Has 6mm hose fitting, most tank based stuff is 4mm
- 230V is available as an option, for connecting to a mains timer.
- The solenoid might have exposed lugs to accept crimp terminals, which are really designed to be on equipment that can't normally be accessed during operation, ie inside a suitable box.

Hi ian_m

The hose fitting should not present a problem as I am hoping to remove the tails and fit directly to to regulator. Failing that, I am sure I can get the 4mm tubing to fit.

I have in fact ordered one with the 230V AC to use with my timer.

The lugs appear to use the same connector as my exisitng solenoid, failing that as an electronic engineer by trade the elctrical connection present no problems.

lawrencezarb said:
The lugs appear to use the same connector as my exisitng solenoid, failing that as an electronic engineer by trade the elctrical connection present no problems.
Excellent, I have seen some quite poor electrics around fish tanks, in my time. Then people wonder why they get issues, not realising a little bit of pre-thought and knowledge and electrics aren't an issue.

The best one & most dangerous one I have met was on a second hand tank my mate bought. Attached to the side of the tank stand was a box with a multiple way switch, leading to 4 off 2 pin shaver sockets to connect to heater, pump etc. However the mains in was via a 5th two pin socket :woot: and was supplied with a 13A mains lead terminating in a two pin plug (meant to be plugged into this socket) thus if it fell out would expose live and neutral :woot:

Back