• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Struggling with heating my nano!

jack-rythm

Hi everyone!!

Need some help with heating my nano... I have orded a resun cyclone external filter and now Im trying to decide how on earth I can heat my nano tank with out using an internal 25w heater?? my tank is 30x30x30cm roughly. any information will help completely!

Thanks
JACk :)

20120823192049.jpg

thanks but i cant help thinking that 300w heater is far to much for my 30cm nano?? and how would I connect this to my tank if I currently have a mini external filter? The 300w hydor's are 16mm piping inlets aren't they?

why heat it al all? If your house keeps a reasonably steady temp then i wouldnt worry unless you have specific warmer water fish. My nano is heater less and sits at 18-21 aside from the recent hot weather.

Have been wanting to try a reptile heat mat under a nano for a while though to see if that would hold a steady temp...??

funny you should say that as I breed bearded dragons and have done for a while, I have a few heat mats laying around and did think it may be worth a try... as for the heater issue, I do infact need a heater as I wish to breed crystal shrimp. I know you can keep them in water as low as 17-18 degrees but they will only survive in this temp and not flourish. So in order to be able to sucessfully breed it needs to be heated... otherwise I would really be to bothered. I have a diana walstad bowl up and running with no heater or filter and that does absolutely fine, even with fish in it . Its always worth a try but crystal shrimp are not cheap unfortunately and I cant try it on cherries because they have different needs overall and are quite fragile.. the heat mat may work.. but im worried about the heat not being able to get through the substrate. I did think about sticking it to the back of the tank.. I mean I have plants covering the back anyway...

Could be an option...

Running one of the Hydors will work fine, the main 'issue' with an over-powered heater is if it sticks on, it will raise the tank temp too high much quicker than a lower powered one.

Back