• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pond Aquasoil

wreckster

Seedling
Hi,

Long time lurker looking to re-do my 200L tank with cat litter substrate. At the moment I have a few algae problems due to too much light and I have stopped using co2 a while ago. I am currently in the planning stages but I dont know if I can wait for Troi's next article in PFK.

So I'm looking at going low tech with a soil/dirt substrate but spotted this pong aquasoil:
IMG_20120721_171007.jpg

I bought a bag to try out in a small 18" tank with day light only, but wondering if anyone has used this before in a planted tank?

Alex

i have used similar. Good stuff. Releases lots of ammonia .

Should be fine, just be aware that nearly all commercial soil mixes will raise the pH and hardness of your water quite considerably. This is obviously only a problem if you intend on keeping the more delicate soft-water fish, but worth mentioning.

Alastair and I have tried a few different soils between us, and the only one which doesn't seem to affect hardness/pH much is this one, which Al is currently using in his shallow tank - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-genu ... 500wt_1054

If your fish are unfussy, then I can vouch for Westland's aquatic compost and John Innes I-III as also working fine, with the above proviso.

Back