• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Ryuoh lagoon - (PLANTED UP + FAUNA SELECTION)

Just some quick snaps; just trying to show growth. Stauro & bonsai doing well.
Will be messing around with tank at weekend.

5e0f1a87-24df-7a92.jpg

5e0f1a87-2544-6e15.jpg

5e0f1a87-2564-018d.jpg

Eleocharis sp. Mini :

5e0f1a87-25ba-823b.jpg

5e0f1a87-25d4-ad68.jpg

Hope you guys like :D

Lovely! Shaping up amazingly Nath - fully impressed and jealous of your mini - have only seen it in the US before.

Are you planning on adding small stones or moss rocks on the boarder of your path? That's going to be a bugger to maintain otherwise once you add the fauna.

Anyway stunning - your definitely onto a winner for sure

Hey mate,
Thanks for your comment :) I will indeed add some kind of 'retainers' to hold that substrate somewhat, I have got a smashed up Ryuoh stone ready.

May even try adding at the weekend.

The mini is a new-ish thing here, since Tropica received some from Tom Barr.
Aqua Essentials & FreshWaterShrimp sell them in vitro.

I purchased my sp.Mini from FWS & my ammania sp. Bonsai from AE.

Both were absolutely fantastic, in both service and quality.

Thanks again mate. All the best

Hey guys,

Just another couple of pics showing how I intend to 'Retain' the soil against the sand

Start with a tough-ish plastic packaging box. I'm sure youll know the type I mean;

027a2325-7205-d909.jpg

Cut strips, depth of substrate ish;

027a2325-7265-db83.jpg

Result ;
027a2325-72cf-22e3.jpg

Disappears in water :D

027a2325-7300-390e.jpg

Place on borders, doesn't matter about it protruding, unlike black/ other plastics:

027a2325-7362-20d0.jpg

Added a couple of border shards too:
027a2325-73df-c860.jpg

Thinking long and hard about fauna. I think 30+ CPD's will look great. But I have some already. So I'm unsure :)

I was just about to post about what to use for substrate supports. I was wondering about clear plastic but was unsure as I know some plastic like the stuff used for water bottles start deteriorating after a while.

Great looking tank btw ;)

spill50 said:
I was just about to post about what to use for substrate supports. I was wondering about clear plastic but was unsure as I know some plastic like the stuff used for water bottles start deteriorating after a while.

Great looking tank btw ;)

Hey mate,

I honestly dont know if this plastic will go 'white' and 'cloudy' given time submersed. But if it does after a few weeks then Its very easy to change over & once the scape grows well in it should Root in and retain itself a lot better.

I uprooted one or two stems today, while messing about. An the roots have already grown an inch down into the substrate. Which looks very promising.

Thanks very much buddy, its getting there :D

That's good growth :) I may try it in my new setup, planting next weekend :) I just need to find enough plastic to do 4 foot. You'll have to let us know if you have any problems with the plastic you've used ;)

Just had a quick read up on it apparently it's the bioplastic (which a lot of drinks bottles are made of) that breaks down not the petroleum based stuff.

I would definitely recommend using Eleocharis sp. 'mini' mate. Looks absolutely cracking, and bar a little bit in front of main rock on right, Is settling in very well.

The bit in front of rock is a case of low flow in that area I think, but Ive got a solution. Upgrade from an Eheim ecco to an Eheim pro 3e 2078 :D

D.I.Y spraybar coming soon in clear acrylic spanning the full width.

:)

spill50 said:
Just been working on my spray bar you can see it in my journal.

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22476

I've not decided on plants yet but will definitely look at it.

Wow mate that looks great, congratulations with that.

You see how you have done it in two pieces? I was going to try a similar shape with one continuous piece.

I ordered 1 metre of 18mm OD pipe, and intend to use it on a 16/22 pipe if i can get it on :D

What did you make an end cap out of mate? Solvent weld a tiny piece of acrylic to the end?

Yeah I got some acrylic rod the same OD as the tube and welded it to the end. I made it in multiple pieces to make it easier to clean. I may even redo the end and use a small piece of rod the same size as the ID, so I can take the end out when cleaning.

Yeah, if you get a rod with the same ID then one with the same OD and stick them together with superglue.

You should get a nice fit :clap:

Just rods expensive ha!

Ha, mine will have an Internal diameter of 14mm and they don't do that size.
I'll sort something though!

Will keep an eye on your thread buddy, have popped in and seen your DIY cabinet and appreciate the work you've put in there! Keep it up mate and good luck with the planting ;)

Re: Ryuoh Lagoon [Growing in Period]

Okay, guys I'm about to turn on an eheim 2078 that I've just set up on the tank.

This could go one of two ways.

One, I could be back on here in 5 minutes telling you of my success

Two, i turn my tank into a 96L snow globe, in which case I will speak to you all soon. As I will have smashed my phone up as collateral.

:thumbup:

ArGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Full power!
027a2325-19ee-0662.jpg

027a2325-1a02-272f.jpg

Bit wild on full power. BUT i can turn it down. Definitely will power the ferts and co2 round well!

I have got some clear acrylic on order to construct full length spray bar out of. But just testing it with Eheim spray bars incase I did blow sand round and I had to sell it on here. :lol:

filling with medic should help calm it down too

Ha yeah mate, got all my media from my Ecco (3L approx. Substrat pro) and it only fills one and a half trays out of 4 :lol:

So i should calm down a lot.

The spraybar I used just then was a 16/22 joined onto the 12/16 spraybar from the ecco. So the acrylic should be a bit better. Will make sure theres more holes along the bar. Ensuring a good VORTEX MOVEMENT (Clive! :lol: )

Back