• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sick Gourami - Help!

I have an in sink macerator that finishes sick fish off very nicely.

I usually fill a cold jug full of water with as many ice cubes as possible, let it sit for 5 minutes then drop the fish in a small tub of tank water and pop in the jug. Almost instantly puts them to sleep.

Sorry to hear of your loss mate, I hate having to put sick fish to sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, so your saying putting them gently to sleep with oil of clove isn't humane?

But subjecting them to the time it takes to get them out of the water and holding them long enough to stab them in the head and swirl it around is humane?

That page says it is humane, but it's not the only way that is.

spill50 said:
Wait, so your saying putting them gently to sleep with oil of clove isn't humane?

But subjecting them to the time it takes to get them out of the water and holding them long enough to stab them in the head and swirl it around is humane?

How do you know that is the case?

There is a distinct lack of research to back the clove oil hypothesis.

Most people do not have the stomach for humane euthanasia so they invent sanitized scenarios that appear more acceptable to their own sensibilities.

It's typical of the anthropomorphic displacement which is particularly prevalent among animal lovers in this country.

Troi said:
How do you know that is the case?

There is a distinct lack of research to back the clove oil hypothesis.

The use of clove oil for anaesthesia has been well documented actually

http://dels-old.nas.edu/ilar_n/ilarjour ... eiffer.pdf

Page 12 describes it quite well as just one example.

Troi said:
Most people do not have the stomach for humane euthanasia so they invent sanitized scenarios that appear more acceptable to their own sensibilities.

Probably true but would you put your dog to sleep or behead it?

It's just my opinion from actual experience. I have euthanased fish using various methods (including clove oil) over the years both as a hobbyist and through the course of my parasitological research. Decapitation followed swiftly by pithing struck me as the most humane method...

...I don't have a dog.

No neither do I :p it was just an analogy.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it totally depends on the species of fish. Some methods would suit some species better than others.

spill50 said:
No neither do I :p it was just an analogy

Not a good one, even taking in to account athropomorphism! Pithing is exactly how we kill large mammals before they end up on our dinner plates...a bolt through the brain!!!

Yes but link you posted suggested stunning, beheading and then pithing all of which takes time. Which which is different from going straight to a bolt in the brain.

I think you missed my point though I wasn't disagreeing that it was a humane way, I was disagreeing that it was the only humane way.

spill50 said:
Yes but link you posted suggested stunning, beheading and then pithing all of which takes time. Which which is different from going straight to a bolt in the brain.

I think you missed my point though I wasn't disagreeing that it was a humane way, I was disagreeing that it was the only humane way.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It's always a pleasant surprise when someone stands by the conviction of their own beliefs.

Back