• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Outdoor Planted Tank. (Vietnam) Possible? **Pics Page 4**

Re: Outdoor Planted Tank. Possible?

ceg4048 said:
...In the meantime it will suffice to maintain a "keep-your-plants-max-healthy" perspective because that's why I have this hobby, i.e., to grow pretty plants, not to think about algae. :crazy:

Cheers,
It's about being open minded. Your obviously an intelligent guy, helpful, insightful, knowledgable and once you get past your obnoxious alter ego then your one of the best resources on the net for growing aquatic plants :thumbup: It's a shame that your won't turn your attention to algae, I don't get why your so opposed to it, seems right up your street, plants after all ARE algae albeit drier algae. If your not interested then at least let other people discuss the topic without trying to impose your limited view on them, scaring them off limits the UKAPS community and we all suffer from lack of interaction/knowledge/viewpoints and experience.

ceg4048 said:
In our tanks it's also not a good policy to think about flow in terms of "that algae love flow". This will undo a lot of progress because it's a misinterpretation of the forces which are at work.

This makes no sense, progress is made through increased knowledge and that includes algae. "Focus on plants" is great advice especially for beginners but it only gets you so far and also gets you to places you don't need to go (yellow DC springs to mind). Plants and algae are two sides of the same coin, ignoring algae limits progress.

:wave:

i think you may struggle to find a piece you like!!!???

Outdoor Planted Tank. Possible?

a1Matt said:
ghostsword said:
Without co2 you will be in trouble.

Unlimited light, no ferts and no co2 and no plants will grow on it, unless they are floating or emersed. Algae soup.

I do have a couple of tanks on the garden, so I have tried it out. :)

Outdoor Planted Tank. Possible?

a1Matt said:
ghostsword said:

Unlimited light, no ferts and no co2 and no plants will grow on it, unless they are floating or emersed. Algae soup.

ghostsword said:
a1Matt said:
ghostsword said:

Hi Luis

I never said no ferts. It will be well fertilised, but no CO2 or liquid carbon.

I do see where you are coming from, there is a dichotomy in the planted tank world. However I think your (assumed) prognosis that I should go down the CO2 route is wrong. Many people have had great success with low tech naturally lit planted tanks receiving direct sunlight (myself included, see tank in signature). I have never heard of anyone having any success with a sunlight lit co2 tank, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I don't have the technical expertise that some here have but I do have some practical experience and I have spent hours reading forums and articles. In my opinion, although there is no consistent method like Estimative Index, there are a series of techniques that yield interesting results for low tech naturally lit tanks.

My tank will hopefully be the antithesis of the high tech tank. It will be very low wattage, natural, simple and low maintenance (yeah right :) ). Personally I like a bit of algae in a tank, it is in keeping with the natural look.

R

Hi all,
Many people have had great success with low tech naturally lit planted tanks receiving direct sunlight (myself included, see tank in signature).
I've got some of these in the glasshouse, they are plastic storage containers, rather than tanks, and the water becomes warm enough to cook any fish etc., but once they have a reasonable plant load they tend to maintain themselves without becoming algae covered, although they will always have some "green (Chlorophyta) filamentous algae". These containers receive natural light, they don't have any water movement or added CO2, and fertilisers are added in a very ad hoc manner.
Personally I like a bit of algae in a tank, it is in keeping with the natural look.
So do I it is entirely natural and in a low maintenance situation inevitable, particularly with the Chlorophyta, because they have the same metabolic pathways and photosynthetic pigments as all the higher plant groups, and are basal to the "Chloroplastida/Viridiplantae" clade. If conditions are suitable for "plants", they are suitable for the Green algae.
e.g. Viridiplantae, Chlorobionta, or simply Plantae, the latter expanding the traditional Plant Kingdom to include the green algae. Adl et al., who produced a classification for all eukaryotes in 2005, introduced the name Chloroplastida for this group, reflecting the group having primary chloroplasts with green chlorophyll.
Adl, Sina M.; et al. (2005), "The New Higher Level Classification of Eukaryotes with Emphasis on the Taxonomy of Protists", Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology 52:5 pp399-451.
The green lineage (Viridiplantae) comprises the green algae and their descendants the land plants, and is one of the major groups of oxygenic photosynthetic eukaryotes. Current hypotheses posit the early divergence of two discrete clades from an ancestral green flagellate. One clade, the Chlorophyta, comprises the early diverging prasinophytes, which gave rise to the core chlorophytes. The other clade, the Streptophyta, includes the charophyte green algae from which the land plants evolved.
Fig_2.png

And I think they are often beautiful in their own right.
Fig_1.jpg

Images from "Phylogeny and molecular evolution of the green algae" <http://users.ugent.be/~fleliaer/publications/crps_2011_html/evolution_green_algae.htm>

cheers Darrel

ceg4048 said:
And it's not really true either. The 10X rule has little to do with "mixing of ferts" because the distribution of nutrient ions within the water column occurs as a function of ionic and osmotic forces.

Hi Clive

I guess the above is not exactly true per say. Added flow causes turbulent mixing which happens over larger length scales while the ionic/osmotic diffusion occurs on molecular lengthscales. As a standard example, perfume in one corner of the room will take ages (millions of years) for mixing thoroughly throughout the room if only the molecular level diffusive forces were at work. What shortens the time is occasional flow, whiff of breeze that physically transports these molecules from A to B. Then on diffusion takes over once again. So you do need flow for efficient mixing.

Moreover in the tank, water surface tension at leaf boundaries boundaries would make it difficult (time consuming) for purely osmotic/ionic exchange to occur efficiently. There too flow is of help..

Just my thoughts...

-niru

I have just been in to see my tank for the first time at the shop. Massive.

Just a question for anyone who has kindly bothered to read this far. What fert routine would you go for in this scenario? Here's a reminder of the setup details:

Low tech (no CO2 or liquid carbon added).
Borneo Wild or Oliver Knott substrate.
No direct sunlight but lots of indirect light for 12 hours a day year round. No supplemental light.
Ambient temperature about 33C daytime 24C at night (no heating or cooling used)
The filters I have would only provide 3x turnover per hour.
Fast flow within tank (provided by powerhead).
The roof would prevent rain getting in to or on the tank.
Dimensions L140 X W80 X H60cm, open top.
Will be very heavily planted with lots of plants growing emersed too.
Will be averagely stocked with fish.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Will post a pic soon.

S

Re: Outdoor Planted Tank. (Vietnam) Possible?

Hi all,
Low tech (no CO2 or liquid carbon added).
Borneo Wild or Oliver Knott substrate.
No direct sunlight but lots of indirect light for 12 hours a day year round. No supplemental light.
Ambient temperature about 33C daytime 24C at night (no heating or cooling used)
The filters I have would only provide 3x turnover per hour.
Fast flow within tank (provided by powerhead).
The roof would prevent rain getting in to or on the tank.
Dimensions L140 X W80 X H60cm, open top.
Will be very heavily planted with lots of plants growing emersed too.
Will be averagely stocked with fish.
I think this should work just fine.

cheers Darrel

Re: Outdoor Planted Tank. (Vietnam) Possible?

Here she is...

Just working on the scape now.

144708753.ocZQn1Ig.ukaps1386.jpg

144709115.2mYVmXFn.ukaps1388.jpg

144709145.ZlI53kGl.ukaps1385.jpg

Re: Outdoor Planted Tank. (Vietnam) Possible? **Pics Page 4*

Just a question for anyone who has kindly bothered to read this far. What fert routine would you go for in this scenario?

Typically, the weekly dose I use is around one fifth of that recommended for high-energy tanks. The dose is small enough that ready made liquid nutrient formulations like TNC Complete are economical for me to use.

But you can also use dry salts. The standard regime, for say a 20 gallon low energy tank, is to dose once every week or two with the following; 1/4 teaspoon of GH booster, plus 1/8 and 1/32 of a teaspoon of KNO3 (potassium nitrate) and KH2PO4 (monopotassium phosphate) respectively. The ratios can be scaled up or down to suit any size of tank. This relatively low dosing regime also means that regular water changes are not needed. Instead simply missing a dose every so often, about once a month or two will suffice.

Check out Tom's article on non-CO2 methods in the BarrReport http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... O2-methods.

Re: Outdoor Planted Tank. (Vietnam) Possible? **Pics Page 4*

What a lovely backdrop...

Who needs tank backgrounds eh!

Great hardscape too :) Looking forward to this :D

Back