• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New DIY Cabinets

Very nice, I'm building a cabinet soon hope it turns out as well. Did you only use glue?

No I used about 3 million screws as well. Probably a bit of overkill but it certainly isn't gonna fall apart. I pre drilled the holes and counter sunk with 40mm x 3.5mm wood screws, then filled all the holes before painting.

spill50 said:
No I used about 3 millions screws as well. Probably a bit of overkill but it certainly isn't gonna fall apart. I pre drilled the holes and counter sunk with 40mm x 3.5mm wood screws, then filled all the holes before painting.

Nothing wrong with overkill ! Its what keeps the cabinet from collapsing, potentially. Did you manage to get a smooth enough finish over the filled screw holes that you cannot see where they are ? I have to say, I am REALLY impressed with the finish you have achieved. I have long since wanted a glossy white cabinet for my tank.

If you paint MDF with MDF sealer, applied with a roller and fine hand sand between coats, then paint gloss, again with a roller (dilute gloss with 5-10% white spirit) and 2 or three coats, it is quite amazing the flat finish one can get. I have also sprayed MDF, from cans, and again if done in say 4-5 thin coats, I have been quite impressed with my own work.

Not brave enough to make what you have made though, they look really professional.

Oh use a new roller and tray with each coat and maybe filter the paint (through old tights) first to get it 100% "bit" free.

ian_m said:
If you paint MDF with MDF sealer, applied with a roller and fine hand sand between coats, then paint gloss, again with a roller (dilute gloss with 5-10% white spirit) and 2 or three coats, it is quite amazing the flat finish one can get. I have also sprayed MDF, from cans, and again if done in say 4-5 thin coats, I have been quite impressed with my own work.

Not brave enough to make what you have made though, they look really professional.

Oh use a new roller and tray with each coat and maybe filter the paint (through old tights) first to get it 100% "bit" free.

Great tips thanks Ian. Seems tights have a multitude of purposes... Purigen bags, Paint filters. Makes you wonder if we should all keep a few pairs in our smalls drawers, lol.

Yeah great tips Ian, for the roller make sure you use the gloss type foam ones not the fluffy ones.

For the screw holes if you use a fine grain sandpaper you get a really smooth finish. To the touch you can't feel any difference between the filler and mdf. After the second coat you can't even see them.

On the edges of the mdf I found that you need to give them a real good sanding (not a light sand like the surface) after the first coat otherwise you end up with rough edges.

I've started putting together the box for the DIY luminaire I'm making to go with. The cabinet which I'm using 9mm mdf for. I post pictures when I have some.

Toadeh said:
Whats the height off the ground of the cabinets? I fancy having a go at this :)

The height is 730mm but this can easily be changed by adjusting the size of the two 402x680 end panels, the 377x680 centre column and the two 608x580 doors.

Obviously the cutting plans were for both cabinets the lighter brown panels were for the large cabinet. so if you just doing the large one you should have plenty of room to make a taller one.

Let me know if you need any more info. If you do make one I'd love to see photos.

I didn't no, the good thing about the cutting service at B&Q is if you get them to cut the panels in the right order then the sizes are very accurate as it just takes the cutting width out of the offcuts. So on my plans the offcuts will be smaller than indicated. They say -1/+1mm tolerance but I found them to be more like -0.5/+0.5mm.

Which i was as good, I want a cabinet to fit an external filter, but with the same type beech effect and look as juwel. Cant find one to buy anywhere.

Yes did think about it, and juwel handles cost £15 to complete the look, but I can't find a cheap enough cabinet hehe. Not the DIY type person to make from sratch.

Yeah I know what you mean. I find the cabinets that are out there pretty expensive for what you actually get.

Which is why I went the DIY route. That way I get exactly what I want.

spill50 said:
It would be nice I admit, I'd probably prefer it to my current full time job :D

Anyway here are the drawings for anyone that's interested.

http://www.richard-mckenna.com/media/Tank-Bench-MkII.pdf

richard, are the plans still available to be re-uploaded? i love the look of the cabinets and i am tempted to try but i'm not a natural DIY'er....

Yeah, just follow the link the PDF is there. Let me know if you still can't access it and I'll email it.

Good luck if you have a go ;) the hardest thing on them is the hinges, the rest is just drilling and screwing bits together.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

nduli said:
spill50 said:
It would be nice I admit, I'd probably prefer it to my current full time job :D

Anyway here are the drawings for anyone that's interested.

http://www.richard-mckenna.com/media/Tank-Bench-MkII.pdf

richard, are the plans still available to be re-uploaded? i love the look of the cabinets and i am tempted to try but i'm not a natural DIY'er....

ok, scrap that, seems to be hit and miss when i request the page. got the pdf now though. Stupid question but assume the small tank cutting list is the dark gray....

Back