• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Chocolate Puddle Now with Chocolates

easerthegeezer said:
sexy, very...! kind of blows the high light - red plants theory out the window. Bloody rotala looks way better than mine :(

does that mean you'll be selling this puddle or in addition?

Very impressed mate. Its seeing tanks like these that make me want more tanks and drain my my bank account... must buy an ATI :lol:
Keep it coming though mate.

Ha ha I'm super impressed with the rotala mate, it looks really impressive in person. Could possibly be the tank being shallow, or that the coloured one is at the side the sun comes through too???

When I eventually get round ordering the bigger one this tank will be going mate, wouldn't have room for two and the ati will be going too. ;) (possibly).
I've contemplated even turning all 4 tubes on now that the unit is almost 4 foot from the substrate as the shaded end isn't getting much light through but then I'm thinking I'd end up with algae on the unshaded side? Any ideas? It's 1.8wpg but the unit is raised very high.

Lmao I know mate, it's never ending this hobby....I've had this running two months and want a bigger one. The whole idea was low tech - save money.....hmmmmmmm

sr20det said:
Awesome, whats it stocked with so far fauna wise?

It looks like a co2 tank, amazingly.

Thanks mate, it's stocked with 5 chocolate gouramis which will me added to each week until I get about 15 in total, 8 small amano shrimp, my trusty otto who I've had 3 years and bloody lots of baby corys that I need to catch and take to people who want them. I'm seriously contemplating putting in Celestial pearl danios as I think they'd add colour to this. Any thoughts???

It does look well for a non co2 tank actually but I can tell from my high tech that I ran the difference massive and plants dont appear as full. Or maybe it's just that the higher light ferts and co2 drive the plants more making them grow quicker and fuller. I'm very very happy with this though hence wanting to go Much much bigger.

Polyester said:
Very nice progress Alastair!
Tell us more about your plans! :clap:

Thanks polyester, I'm happy with how it's doing and the inhabitants love it. I've owned chocco's for a while and they seem far happier in this set up.

Plans wise, I'm going to let this run a good 2 months more or so, by then it will be filling in and I'll know how well low tech no water change goes then next plans will be to go more square shaped eventually, this tank is deep 70cm front to back, but I'm thinking more 120 x 120, or 120 x 90/100. Am even contemplating a 130x130. And will stil have room for my dining table ha ha (bonus) I'll have bought the new tank with in the next month or two it's just deciding on size. Lighting positioning etc.,
but that's not any time soon as I'm seeing how this goes first and this is big anyway.
I do think how this would look with co2 added but I'm not even letting temptation take over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: A Chocolate Puddle Now with Chocolates

How comes you are removing the corrys? I would have thought they would be ideal for a shallow tank? I read through the thread a while back, but remmeber you mentioning you wanting to add them.

Coming along very nicely Alistair - I see what you mean about the Cyperus going mental!

There is an outside chance that I might be doing one last rescape on mine this summer, in which case I'd have loads of crypts needing rehoming...

Alastair said:
When I eventually get round ordering the bigger one this tank will be going mate, wouldn't have room for two and the ati will be going too. ;) (possibly).
I've contemplated even turning all 4 tubes on now that the unit is almost 4 foot from the substrate as the shaded end isn't getting much light through but then I'm thinking I'd end up with algae on the unshaded side? Any ideas? It's 1.8wpg but the unit is raised very high.

If it aint broke...... i just tweaked my light up a little thinking all was well and immeadiately BBA has started to pop its head up. I never learn :lol:

when your selling flick me a pm and id would have to consider a purchase... funds allowing :shh:

sr20det said:
How comes you are removing the corrys? I would have thought they would be ideal for a shallow tank? I read through the thread a while back, but remmeber you mentioning you wanting to add them.

They are ideal but the idea of the organic waste helping to fertilise the plants is going to pot as the corys are just constantly disturbing the substrate and kicking dust off it on the plants. I will keep a few but I have an excessive amount in here at present.

BigTom said:
Coming along very nicely Alistair - I see what you mean about the Cyperus going mental!

There is an outside chance that I might be doing one last rescape on mine this summer, in which case I'd have loads of crypts needing rehoming...

Definitely mate, I need Sonething shorter, you any ideas mate??

Absolutely, I'll rehome the crypts definitely thanks Tom. They'll even help towards my bigger puddle when it happens. Why are you rescaping???

And eazer if your interested I'd let you have the tank you'd just have to pick it up ha ha.

Alastair said:
And eazer if your interested I'd let you have the tank you'd just have to pick it up ha ha.

dont joke, ill hold you to it :angelic:
planning a trip up to manchester via TGM with somethingfishy later in the year anyway, kettle better be on mate :lol:

Couple of pics, just quick ones....had the E. schlueteri leopard send out a plantlet stem which reached a good 3ft above water Before heading off into the cyperus with lots of flower buds on it so thought I'd share it's first blossom

7421918196_666605c0df_b.jpg

Looks like there will be another good 6 more to open. It's a Shane they don't last more than a day or two

And.........filter choices filter choices.....can't decide. The 2213 is ideal but obviously it's all growing in now, plus when I upgrade to the bigger puddle I'll need bigger flow
7421920330_ccff8c2955_b.jpg

:)

easerthegeezer said:
Westyggx said:
Let us know when your your going mate me and al will join ya!

Definitely, you'll find me in the bush's outside alistairs dining room :)

Why is all the good stuff up north ? :geek:

easerthegeezer said:
Westyggx said:
Let us know when your your going mate me and al will join ya!

Definitely, you'll find me in the bush's outside alistairs dining room :)

How do you know I've got bushes outside my dining room??? Scary stuff. Looks like my pooch will need to be on extra guard duties now ha ha

Well the emersed flowers on the echinodorous are really taking off now, such a shame they only last the day or two at most
7426720348_87560d0197_b.jpg

The rotala has gone mental in this tank,
7426722522_d21e5e261b_b.jpg

Also some new inhabitants to go in, was given a surprise of another 8 teeny little chocolate gouramis, literally just a bit bigger than a 5 pence piece bringingy total currently to 13. I will try to get a pic of them together later when the glare from the sun isn't on the dining room as much,
I've also got 20 crystal black shrimp being brought over tomorrow which I'm looking forward putting in yayyyyyy. So it'll be a mix of amano, cherry and crystal black shrimp.

The growths coming on really well in the tank and will get some better shots tonight or tomorrow.
The emmersed section may be getting changed at some point soon as the cyperus is crazy tall now and I don't want to keep raising my unit all the time.

7440683838_5851c20971_b.jpg

See. I keep trimming but it keeps growing thicker and faster. The chocco's love the shade from it all though so its helping them I suppose :).

That rotala is amazing Alastair ! I think this is turning into something really special mate :thumbup:

Blimey mate, things are really taking off. I`ve only been away a couple of weeks and the tanks gone mental. :wideyed: How long has it been set up now? :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back