• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New DIY Cabinets

spill50

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share some photos of the cabinets I have just finished.

This one is for my new 48" x 16" x 16" - 200L Optiwhite rimless/braceless when it arrives from Jez at Poseidons Palace (getting so excited now :crazy: ).

7573327010_1d0b6f398c_b.jpg

7573725616_713e7f4f98_b.jpg

and this smaller one is for my Fluval Ebi 30L. Though I can't decide where I'm actually going to put it. At the moment it's where the 200L will go.

7573705254_d55ae5149b_b.jpg

7573706672_538e1d72ec_b.jpg

For the 200L I'm going to put together box for my DIY luminaire which will be hung over tank from 2 stainless steel tubes which I'm having a 90 degree bends put in them. Another couple of weeks and I should have them. at which point I'll post some more photos. I'll probably start a journal for it once I get the tank.

Richard

Thanks Alastair, hopefully the tank will arrive 2-3 weeks. I'm terrible at waiting for things but it will give me chance to get the lighting sorted and think about the scape.

very nice!

the second one is my fave...you need to get a ADA cube garden for that one ; )

Very slick looking cabinets. Are they pre-coated melamine, or have you made them from scratch with timber/ply and painted?

I used 25mm thick MDF £30 from B&Q and used their free cutting service to slice the sheet up to all the required sizes. Which gave me nice clean edges.

Hinges, handles etc £15-£20

2.5L tin of dulux eggshell £20, have about 1 third left after 3 coats.

So about £70 total.

The size of the cabinet is 1220x420x730mm

Great stuff you have a lovely shiny gloss finish. How about a journal of how you made them from start to finish ?

Looks great! You should make them to sell! I bet a few would order them.

Yeah it's not as glossy as gloss paint if that makes sense but I do like the finish of eggshell.

There wouldn't be much to the journal, I didn't take many photos while making them. To be honest there's not a lot to them. The chap at B&Q did all the cutting for me, I glued and screwed the bits together, bit of chisel work for the hinges, filled the holes, then 3 coats of paint.

I'd be happy to share my initial drawings and cutting plans if anyone wants to use them. I do enjoy the putting together part but painting mdf is such a pain in the blahblahblahblah, I don't think I'd want to do it again. Well until I get a bigger tank that is ;)

MDF is an utter nightmare, I agree. But imagine it, you could sell and make hardwood types too. It would be costy, but effective, strong and different!

Back