• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf gourami pair breeding

Kristoph91

I have a male and a female dwarf gourami, and the male has spent the last two days pulling apart my moss and building a big bubble nest underneath my floating plants. I've removed all other fish in the tank, and he is now courtibg her.

They just keep spinning around below the bubble nest.

Any tips on what I could do to help them ?
Feeding, WC's, lighting etc.

All advice appreciated.

Regards

Bare bottom tanks with sponge filters work well as for breeding most species, but it maybe too late for that this time around. Make sure there are hiding spots for the female to take cover.

I remember having a go at these many years ago. If my memory serves me well, when the fry get to around 12-14 days free swimming the labyrinth organ starts to develop and they go for atmospheric air. Keeping the humidity up at this time is vital to survival so keep the tank covered, along with gentle aeration to break the surface tension a little.

Get past this stage and you should face no other difficulties in raising the fry. I presume the usual live foods and small regular water changes would suffice.

If they are dancing under the nest everything is good and they will probably spawn very soon. With a bit of luck you will be there to see the spawning embrace.
As spyder says, the female will need places to hide if the male is too keen, and when he's guarding the eggs it's best to remove her if you can. He's also spot on about the humidity - if their first gulp of air is too cold or dry the fry are not likely to survive. If your tank is open-topped you could fit a cover glass, or move the babies to a covered tank a week or so after hatching.
Dwarf Gourami fry are tiny; if they are in an established tank there may be enough tiny food to support some of the fry already in there, but if you want to raise lots of them green water is the best starter food, then infusoria as they grow, followed by Brine Shrimp nauplii when they are big enough.
If you put dechlorinated water in some jars in a sunny spot you should have some green water by the time they are ready for it; that is when their yolk sacs have been absorbed - probably two days after hatching.

Kris, best of luck mate. pics and vids would be special :)

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.
Since today, I have aerated the tank by use of an inbuilt venturi on the filter itself (which I didn't have on before as I didn't like the effect it gave on the flow) and fitted a glass cover lid.

They've done the dance unfortunately, so I've missed the oppurtunity to capture that. Sorry Chris :(
Also don't have a decent camera, my phone is the best I have ... So if I can get a few pictures up tomorrow I will :D

Going to get a jar sorted for the infusoria tomorrow :D

Thanks for all the replies :D

Back