• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - Now FOR SALE !

Re: Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - Altums in residence

Thanks for all the nice comments - much appreciated :)

I'm going to be pulling a load of the crypt wendtii brown and green up this week, and doing a replant of quite a bit of it to get it back towards how I now envisage it !

I've shot a couple of quick vids, and will edit something together over the Christmas break, in the man time here is one of the clips, but it doesn't give too much away I'm afraid :lol:

Tony

Alastair said:
Lovely mate. I love this tank. Doesn't look as if There's water in that tank ha ha

Haha, theres plenty in there, and a pair of eheims to keep it sparkly :)

mikeappleby said:
seriously gorgeous. but at least i now know what it takes to mount a tank properly in the wall!

Its a bit of a number Mike, but well worth it. We had builders in, so they did it for me in a few hours, with a steel across the top. If I was to do it again I'd leave a bigger opening in the wall above the tank, as access is pretty restricted as it is ( or change to a shallower tank ;) )

For the first time, all 8 albums have come out to take food from my hand this morning, so I reckon they're fully settled in. Whereas the SAE's ruled the tank before, the Altums do so now !

Tony

Tony Swinney said:
If I was to do it again I'd leave a bigger opening in the wall above the tank, as access is pretty restricted as it is ( or change to a shallower tank ;) )

Could not agree more - that's the biggest mistake I made. Think you need at least 30cm (ideally 50) otherwise you just can't get in properly.

Apsolutely stunning tank and heavenly Altums, makes me want to pull my tank apart and try again. Must inspire you each morning having breakfast, set you up for a positive day. The reason I read your post was to see your Altums (which are certainly stunning) but it is your tank that I remember! Great to read from someone honestly about the problems encountered and how they were overcome
Dave

I really enjoyed reading trough this thread, looking at the pictures and the video. Beautiful tank and fish.
regards,
fandango

Thanks Dave and Fandango - they certainly do get the day off to a good start, though its the evening when the tank looks its best :)

Heres a few update pics from last night. The albums are doing great, feeding from my hand 3 times a day. The tank had a big foreground trim, after the pics last night, as the Staurogyne was getting quite deep, and holding an awful lot of detritus. The Juncus Repens absolutely loves this tank, and is growing beautifully, I trimmed that a bit too an replanted the cuttings on the back right of the tank.

I'm really enjoying this tank now, as it has found it balance, with no algae issues, happy fish and healthy plants :)

Tony

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

That is a lush tank Tony. I will self invite myself round soon to see the tank myself :)

Every time I see this tank and fish they look even better than the last time.

The plants look lush, and the colours are really starting to come out in those Altum's now.

Andy

I have to apologise or at least I would if you could hear me, seen the third picture and went '' Holy £***'', it is absolutely gob smacking. Just be glad I live in Eire otherwise I would be trying to cage a invite ( I'm a bit bad that way I'm afraid :rolleyes: ) If Carlsberg did planted tanks, this is it in the flesh :thumbup: As a side note did you have any problems with your Altums, some one told me if you can keep them alive for the first three weeks then they should be over the worse. Hearing that is why I went for the Leopoldi. Whatever else that is one seriously good looking tank, a tank to inspire too
Dave

mlgt said:
That is a lush tank Tony. I will self invite myself round soon to see the tank myself :)

Thanks Rik, come on over - I've an FE waiting for you :)

awtong said:
Every time I see this tank and fish they look even better than the last time.
The plants look lush, and the colours are really starting to come out in those Altum's now.
Andy

Hi Andy, and thanks for that. Yep the altums are doing great now, thoroughly settled. I need to catch the remaining 6 black neons and move them to the 200l, but its no easy task with so many places to hide ! I've watched the albums showing interest in them so think I should move them out !

mrjackdempsey said:
I have to apologise or at least I would if you could hear me, seen the third picture and went '' Holy £***'', it is absolutely gob smacking. Just be glad I live in Eire otherwise I would be trying to cage a invite ( I'm a bit bad that way I'm afraid :rolleyes: ) If Carlsberg did planted tanks, this is it in the flesh :thumbup: As a side note did you have any problems with your Altums, some one told me if you can keep them alive for the first three weeks then they should be over the worse. Hearing that is why I went for the Leopoldi. Whatever else that is one seriously good looking tank, a tank to inspire too
Dave
Thanks a lot Dave. The altums have been no trouble at all - I bought very good stock from David Lai, and he had held them for a couple of months before I got them, so they had gotten over their travels, and were adjusting to "tank" life. That said I keep the TDS down below 30ppm in the tank. I had a near-incident yesterday when a CO2 bottle dumped a load of gas in to the tank as it finished. The black neons and the bolivian rams were struggling, but the altums were fine, if a little subdued. A big RO water change sorted things out :)

Tony

It's looking really amazing, wonderful, healthy plants.

Thanks guys. I've just been sitting studying the tank, and have a plan to reveal more of the hardscape again - its all a bit hidden with the present growth ! Plus the tank doesn't have much depth to it visually, and it should with its dimensions. Might change the background too :)

I can't get into a full reshape of this at the minute, but theres going to be some serious trimming done, and a bit of replanting too ;)

Tony

Tony Swinney said:
I can't get into a full reshape of this at the minute, but theres going to be some serious trimming done, and a bit of replanting too

a change is as good as a holiday!
Seeing more of that hard scape wont be a bad thing, it was very impressive and worth showing off a bit more.
Ady.

Tony Swinney said:
.... That said I keep the TDS down below 30ppm in the tank. I had a near-incident yesterday when a CO2 bottle dumped a load of gas in to the tank as it finished. The black neons and the bolivian rams were struggling, but the altums were fine, if a little subdued. A big RO water change sorted things out :)

Tony

Tony, how do you achieve this ? Mine is about 500 :woot: (after a 50% water change)

Back