• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spezial N - Nitrogen Fertilizer

kudos to Orlando (GLA), finally i could make this recipe now, thanks for the fertilizers.

question for Tobi

i use 100% RO water on my tank, you think this recipe will provide enough Ca and Mg ? or do i need to add more Mg and Ca, if so then how much? also your recipe does not have any Phosphate, do i also add this? or depend on fish food and other fish waste to produce this?

Hi,

as explained before... Spezial N is ONLY a nitrogen fertilizer. You need to add everything else (PO4, trace elements etc.). The Ca and Mg amounts in this fert are not enough to supply your plants.
I would not add additional potassium or only if you see a deficiency.

Best regards
Tobias

Tobi said:
Hi,

I've not tested a new charge of "all in one" yet. The last one needed more nitrates in comparison to the micros and po4.

I do not think that the Spezial N is somehow "lean". You can add as much as you want. I prefer 3-4 ppm nitrates per day in my highlight tanks...

The urea does not seem to play an essential part in this fertilizer. I'm and many other testers are using one recipe without urea and with even less potassium in the mix. Works even better for some people.
The urea only gets problematic if your pH is >7. But some reported back GDA in combination with urea.

Best regards
Tobi

I go through about 4ppm a day, but I cannot account for the plants entirely, the sediment may denitrify some.
I've had pulses up to 8ppm a day on a hungry tank, ADA claims 15ppm a day on some their tanks recently, I have grave doubts about that claim. That's a massive amount of NO3 removal.

For NH4 conversion to NO3, this would be about 0.8ppm per day vs 4ppm of NO3.
I've not had any issues with NH4 at that ppm daily dosing rate. I used NH4Cl for about 6 months on 2 tanks, no issues.

I prefer NO3 however. Easier to measure and watch if ever need be.
NH4 does not last long, there's much less and bacteria attack it also.
Good fish loads add all the NH4 I need I think.

Tobi said:
Hi,
the urea only gets problematic if your pH is >7. But some reported back GDA in combination with urea.

Best regards
Tobi

I also removed all the livestock and snails even to remove as many potential sources of NH4 as I could and then added KNO3 alone for the N source. I used flourite since it lacked any N, unlike ADA AS etc.

This produced amazingly good results.
Maybe it was due to good CO2 since there was no worry about gassing anything?

Anyway, the Erio setaceum I had at the time did amazingly well, as did a few other so called hard to grow stems.
I have heard plenty of folks claim the urea and the NH4 additions are better, produce better growth etc over the years.

I cannot say that is the case. I just have not seen evidence that supports it one vs the other.
But I still look:)

plantbrain said:
ADA claims 15ppm a day on some their tanks recently, I have grave doubts about that claim. That's a massive amount of NO3 removal.

For what I have seen so far this is definitely not the case. If I even dare to use 15ppm of NO3 per day in my AS tanks everything will go to hell.
As a matter of fact I have never registered NO3 removal from AS in aquarium, but then I have not done much testing on the subject.

hogan53 said:
George Farmer said:
I have a custom mix now without urea and added KH2PO4. Works great!

Hi George
I ditched the urea as it was affecting my fish.
Ive made a new batch up....did you prep the Kh2Po4 before mixing it with the other salts?
Whats your recipe?
Do you not think Toby's original is lean in comparison to what comes up on the calculator that Tom Barr/Wet uploaded?
Cheers
hoggie
Hi hoggie

Apologies for the delay in reply.

I had UKAPS Sponsor, John Whelan from Aquarium Plant Food UK make up a batch for me. I paid £10 for 1 litre worth of dry powder, and I simply added 1 litre of RO water. I believe it's the recipe stated at the start of this thread, just minus the urea with 15g of KH2PO4, but can't be sure. Try contacting APFUK for the exact recipe.

I have no idea about comparison with EI calculators etc.

Cheers,
George

Tobi, any idea on how much Ca and Mg plant uses per day? is it ok to dose 5ppm of Mg and Ca during water change if using 100% RO water?

This is cool and thank you for sharing this mix/formula, Tobi. Congratulations also for shops cloning it for hobbyists.

Tobi's Spezial N is on http://calc.petalphile.com as a premixed fertilizer, per values in your first post, if you want it. I had not read of Spezial N before on US forums. Hope it spreads around. :)

Thanks again.

* edited for spelling typo

Hi Wet,

can you please change the fert name to "Aqua Rebell Spezial N" that's the fertilizer name.

But I hope that many will use that recipe too and finetune it for their needs. I think those kind of nitrate ferts are a big gain for the hobby.

Best regards
Tobi

here is my update, i made the recipe using Gram calc and been using the ferts for 3 days but there is no growth at all, ludwigia pantanal looses its bottom leafs/leafs fall off. also dosing some Phosphate along with the ferts.

Hi,

aren't you dosing any traceelements? Those are essential too.

And how much are you dosing from the Spezial N?

Best regards
Tobi

yes i am dosing .4ppm of fe everyday, my solution was made similar to your flowgrow.

solution made by mixng:

.20ppm fe from csm+b
.10 from edta
.10 from dtpa

total = .40 ppm of Fe

i am dosing 10ml everyday in my 50 gallon tank of spezial N.

running 2x rena xp2 filters without any sponge or medias. lights are 2x 54w t5ho

Hi,

my Mikro Spezial Flowgrow is a tracemix with gluconate,citrate and ascorbat. More like Flourish than csm+b.

How much Spezial N are you dosing and how much PO4?

Best regards
Tobi

Happi said:
yes i am dosing .4ppm of fe everyday, my solution was made similar to your flowgrow.

solution made by mixng:

.20ppm fe from csm+b
.10 from edta
.10 from dtpa

total = .40 ppm of Fe

i am dosing 10ml everyday in my 50 gallon tank of spezial N.

running 2x rena xp2 filters without any sponge or medias. lights are 2x 54w t5ho

there

Hi,

10 ml should be quite enough for that tank volume. I would keep it that way and observe.
3 days is a short timeframe. I would not expect to see a tremendous change in 3 days.

Best regards
Tobi

Back