• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

Very nice, Tom!

You said earlier about 50ppm CO2. Of course, we don't recommend this for most situations. What makes your system safe to run such high CO2? I'm guessing high O2?

Would you consider LED lighting, or do you find the colour rendition not there yet?

I'm not sure you need flash to light up this tank. Your camera (5D2) will shoot very high ISO with virtually no noise, and you're not exactly scrimping on tank lighting in terms of power and nice colour. You only have to see Mark's 'snaps' to see what's achievable - he's using just 2 x T5 for most of his shots. His 135L lens too, mostly wide open. The shallow DoF looks great to pop the intended subject.

George Farmer said:
I'm not sure you need flash to light up this tank. Your camera (5D2) will shoot very high ISO with virtually no noise,

Very true.

If you do have a 5dMK2, you'll know that even @ 1250 iso pictures dont have any visible noise (for Internet use at least) so additional light isnt needed. I'm sure you know this though, Tom

This for example was taken with just 2 x 54wt5...F4 iso 400 i think.

I've not got the bowens flash heads out once yet for this tank.

6613523829_2e36197716_b.jpg
crop1 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

This tank of yours lends itself to possibly some awesome pictures, what with all the different colours and textures that are occurring. :thumbup:

Why when i scape does it never come out like this :L It looks fantastic

What are the red stems? Not the one that looks like cabomba the other one?

Also were did you get that wood?

Mitchell :D

George Farmer said:
Very nice, Tom!

You said earlier about 50ppm CO2. Of course, we don't recommend this for most situations. What makes your system safe to run such high CO2? I'm guessing high O2?

Well, I think Amano is obsessive about O2 also, but perhaps it's for similar reasons. One thing he likes to measure is COD, which is the blahblahblahblahblahblahblah cheap easy brother of BOD measurements. Some tanks may have a much higher COD/BOD due to a lot of wood........or higher density of of total plant biomass, or fish load.........etc.

My 180 runs at 70ppm.
Fish are fine.

All my tanks have wet/dry filters and have 1-2ppm more O2 than canister filter tanks. Amano also has a sump in his home tank.

It likely gives some wiggle room I'd suggest with CO2.
2 decades ago I had a few conservations with some Germans and Dutch folks about my higher levels of CO2 on my 90 Gal, I was at 30-40ppm ranges, so were they.

No issues.

I had added 2 x 175W MH lights, so I had a lot more light, so I added more and more CO2 till the plants looked happy as could be. I did this slow and progressively. I suspect many use this same watch and see method. With a nice super clean surface and plenty of O2 to break down any waste etc..........seems like a no brainer........

Would you consider LED lighting, or do you find the colour rendition not there yet?

I'm not sure you need flash to light up this tank. Your camera (5D2) will shoot very high ISO with virtually no noise, and you're not exactly scrimping on tank lighting in terms of power and nice colour. You only have to see Mark's 'snaps' to see what's achievable - he's using just 2 x T5 for most of his shots. His 135L lens too, mostly wide open. The shallow DoF looks great to pop the intended subject.

Yea, I could push the iso high.

The way I took pics in the past is to use a decent flash set up, and I like that look personally.
I'll adjust the iso in the coming weeks and see.

LED's, they have a trade off with spread........lots of light in one smaller area, vs a nice spread. This can be done........but for the colors and trade off, the ATI actually does a better job for about the same amount of energ cost, since I only am running a full blast energy of 5-6hours tops whereas I'd need about 8-10 with the LED's, so they end up being about equal, but I get wider assortment of colors and spectra.

Light meter does not lie.

mitchelllawson said:
Why when i scape does it never come out like this :L It looks fantastic

What are the red stems? Not the one that looks like cabomba the other one?

Also were did you get that wood?

Mitchell :D

Screw up for 20 years 1st, that's how:)

where did I get that wood you ask? :twisted:

0640ccaa.jpg

9a9f0d68.jpg

0e1f98f4.jpg

fe3c416b.jpg

Thanks, Tom.

You mention Amano's use of CO2 but from what I've read he rarely runs over 20ppm. This seems to be evidential when we see videos of the tanks in his gallery. For example there are 120cm+ tanks with a single glass diffuser at one end, with most of the bubbles rising straight to the surface, because the circulation is also relatively low (one filter with one set of lily pipes).

The Tonina is not trimmed well because behind the red hedge of Ludwigia, there are the stumps so I can resprout and get more Tonina tops to fatten the bunch up more.

It grows fast.

Here's an older tank where I just ran simple rows.....but you get the idea:

resizedsideview20.jpg

resizedcubapantanal1.jpg

Bottom to top:
Erio setaceum
Tonina fluv.
L pantanal
Syn "manus"
L cuba.

Cuba grows too fast and is too branchy for this tank.
Erio got attacked by the Fire shrimp
I've shied away from any Syn species.........since I have Tonia already and need a certain no# of red/green textures.

I have the smaller Tonina lotus blossom and some Ammannia gracilus to work with, and some Monoselium for a piece of wood vs the Fissidens, if I like the liverwort.......I might move the Fissidens elsewhere.

Still a ways to go.

George Farmer said:
Thanks, Tom.

You mention Amano's use of CO2 but from what I've read he rarely runs over 20ppm. This seems to be evidential when we see videos of the tanks in his gallery. For example there are 120cm+ tanks with a single glass diffuser at one end, with most of the bubbles rising straight to the surface, because the circulation is also relatively low (one filter with one set of lily pipes).

I've seen too many aquariums and measured CO2 very very carefully over the years to believe it's 15ppm on every one of those tanks.

I've seen many tanks and each one that looks like those has much higher ppm than that/what has been stated when I measured it myself..........
In other words, I'd have to have some referenced standard and then good methods to be proven wrong and I'd want to see the whole day's CO2 ppm chart. Many of the best scapers I know adjust CO2 by eye. and those levels I've measured have been similar to my own.Then once the tank is doing well, then you go back and measure the CO2, whatever it is, it is. I have no set ppm level I adjust any tank to.

I'm skeptical that they are 20ppm..........plants are really growing fast and that does not happen merely by magic, only a few things can produce those pearling plants and rates of growth, when I've set my levels at 20ppm, I've also adjusted the lighting a lot........... I do not get those results and this is consistent. My horticulture, dosing, light etc.none of that is the cause, and when I tweak the CO2 right......all is well and the tank grows any and everything well without algae and at the same levels as those Videos.

Now why is that?

My fish also seem to have little issue with these CO2 levels, they breed and I have higher stocking levels than ADA.
So those levels are not toxic, what is really going on is poor methods/testing procedures for measuring CO2? Likely so. But who knows.

To do it the best possible way, you'd need a standard reference that is KNOWN, then a good resolution method, then measure it over the time interval of interest: the entire photoperiod.

This is a plot from a client's tank(the Behemoth actually)
I would say flow relative to the same size is similar as far as CO2 etc as a typical ADA tank.

CO224.jpg

This was referenced several ways to make sure. Lighting in that tank is low, but at the top, it's fairly high.

The Dutch NBAT members also play a trick, do big water changes BEFORE...........folks come over, since they are graded on purer water= more points. This obviously helps and if my business depended on it.........and looking as good as the pics, you bet I'd do this before.....anyone shows up. I'm not him obviously but that is what I'd do.

Many of the displays are also, quite open, having fewer plants that block flow........but there's plenty of examples where low flow and nice looking tanks mix well, but these also lack good stocking of fish. Which as you also know.....ADA's tanks are sparsely populated. I like fish, I like higher flows(but not always), I have different taste, with less flow, you will run a higher risk of gassing fish and not be able to support as many fish. Tetras can handle quite tough conditions really. I do not see any challenging species being kept.

So lower flow, might be fine........CO2, well, if you do good size water changes often, that can make up for it. I have an ADA store locally where I've already done this, their tanks are jamming with CO2 at AFA............The canister filtered tanks do not degas much.......so the ppm's build up, much like a sealed cap.

AFA CO2 ran in the same 40-60ppm.........ranges.......

I noted this when measuring the difference between the CO2 in the canister vs the wet/dry CO2 graph.
Even at night, the 180 Gal had 20ppm of CO2 and about 80ppm during the day. The CO2 method check in at 2ppm at night after about 30-45 min after the CO2 stopped going in. Stayed there till I added more the next day. Canister filter? Sucker adds CO2 I suspect a little, but the surface exchange...........is greatly reduced for CO2, more than O2, but O2 takes a hit of at least 1-2ppm. Again, it depends on WHEN you measure O2........if you measure it at the peak of growth, it will be higher........by predawn? Then that is it's lowest ppm.

I used a simple KH reference cell, flat tipped pH probe and silicone gas membrane. This is responsive and checked well with the CO2 reference and a RO/DI+ KH reference reference system.

When I did a large water change on the 180, the CO2 dropped to 10ppm...........took about 1 hour to get back up to 70ppm. But plants where expose to air and plenty of CO2 during that time.

I do not know. I'd have to measure the tanks there to say much. I have only the experience here, and with other folk's tanks, the one ADA vendor here........based on what I found from the sediment test, the Light test, liquid ferts test, I'm a bit more skeptical than most, but those test also shows a lot more WHY.........those systems worked well and scaping/horticulture skills alone can help some, but not like that.........now lights will not change here to Japan, nor will the soil....nor will the ferts............but..........CO2 can be VERY different user to user and measuring it also, can vary a great deal. We all thought that ADA had much higher light intensity than prior, till we took a light meter to the fixtures with a nice ADA scape at the vendor. Now we know it was actually quite low.

So there is not much left out of this debate other than CO2 really.
We can reasonably test/measure the other factors/rule out things.
CO2 is tough.

I will not argue that!

Tom,
Nice photo's from area where would was collected.
Do be careful while toting about those large branches out in the woods.
The Elmer Fudd type folks, might mistake you for a large Elk,or Buck :lol:
Last photo appears that a cabin once stood there, with possibly remnant's of a chimney and possible remains of fence further down the slope.
Have been to this place many times in dreams, or possibly past lifetime.

One more addition to the high level CO2
http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/2012/01 ... -tank.html

I also experienced the same thing in our gallery. With a mature tank with diffuser we inject 2 times more CO2 then we usually do at the beginning or what i would recommend to anyone who aks for a help.

All shrimps, fishes are fine. And no algae because of the extra CO2 (brush etc).
A mature tank could eat a hell lot of CO2 if that is in a good shape.

roadmaster said:
Tom,
Nice photo's from area where would was collected.
Do be careful while toting about those large branches out in the woods.
The Elmer Fudd type folks, might mistake you for a large Elk,or Buck :lol:
Last photo appears that a cabin once stood there, with possibly remnant's of a chimney and possible remains of fence further down the slope.
Have been to this place many times in dreams, or possibly past lifetime.

We are a gun crazed country to be sure, and they are wasting ammo about 1/2 kilometer from here.
I hear shots every 20 seconds for hours often times, semi automatics, 30cal, 50 cal, 22, 410 and 12 gauge.
A few beers and whiskey.........I'm quite friendly and most of the regulars know me and the truck. Keeps the mountain lion population on the run also:)

No cabins stood here, this is where nature is still strong. Amano had to create his pond in the back yard, this is my back yard and where I work, Lake Tahoe is my research field site. Manzy is a weed and stunted pine trees which are used for logging companies. The USDA sells leasing to log these regions, better than homes and development and the trees grow back faster than you'd think, this region and most of what you see was burnt to the ground in 1991.

Forest fire suppression causes a massive fire. today, we set smaller low intensity fires which are more natural.
Tahoe got toasted also 2 years ago in the Angora hills fire. Same thing, too much fuel.

All the smoke in the pic is from set fires by the Forest Service. Sequoia and many trees will die without low level fires. Lightening is common in the summer months when it's driest. You'll see some of the pieces I sell have charred burn areas on them from the various fires that move through these mountains.

viktorlantos said:
One more addition to the high level CO2
http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/2012/01 ... -tank.html

I also experienced the same thing in our gallery. With a mature tank with diffuser we inject 2 times more CO2 then we usually do at the beginning or what i would recommend to anyone who aks for a help.

All shrimps, fishes are fine. And no algae because of the extra CO2 (brush etc).
A mature tank could eat a hell lot of CO2 if that is in a good shape.

Yes, I think many folks set the CO2 by eye. Then do not worry about things unless they see algae of fish at the surface gasping etc.

Wild discus were the most responsive of the fish behavior wise I've found to CO2.
45ppm or higher, they got darker and did not behave like they should. Elephant nose bird beak, several plecos, any high energy larger fast swimming fish...............are going to be more susceptible.

Lower temps, better surface movement, those bell like DoAqua! lily pipes, the ones with the roundish return that causes the surface to be more broken up, I think those are better. And as always, lots of water changes and good trimming.

I do not think a method defines the scape, but a good scaper can make do with any method... almost.
CO2 is just too critical to assume much about it.

I have tanks with 40ppm and others at 70ppm, that's just what that particular tank individually requires........this tank sits in the 45-55 range, but has LESS than my 180 Gal tank. I have no idea why that is.......

I only test after things are set and doing well. A messed up tank's reading is not of much use to me, a well run aquarium's readings are VERY useful to me. This way I know that range is good for that tank, light/ferts, sediment, flows etc.........these can be reproduced relatively easily, but CO2 is the toughest one.

Why not ask Amano?

Which is tougher: setting up the ferts, the light or the CO2? Which is the most lethal to fish if done incorrectly?
Haha, you will get an answer.

Perhaps Amano suggest, or I should say ADA.as a general piece of hobby advice for 15-20ppm, which is what PMDD also suggested many years ago about the same time ADA started..........simply as a starting point and for NEW hobbyists not start higher and gas their fish etc.

Intermediate and advanced hobbyists can explore and slow and carefully adjust up from there.

I think we often assume a lot about a single sentence someone writes but if we talked to them directly in person, they are a lot more qualifying about such things. I am, I see no reason Amano is not either.

We'd want to know more specifics, and the level of the hobbyists.
Method to measure CO2..........when, time of day, etc..........general routines.........
There is just a lot that is left out from a sound bite.

I think we often assume a lot about a single sentence someone writes but if we talked to them directly in person, they are a lot more qualifying about such things. I am, I see no reason Amano is not either.

Bang on, its so difficult to communicate effectively through the medium of a forum without being misunderstood at some stage. But I think you're doing ok.

And...I wish I had a back yard like yours, and...well...what can I say about your Dutch something or other that hasn't already been said.

Added the ATI finally.

I'll have a nice mix of Red/purple, 6500K, and blue special lighting.
I've come to really like the purple addition, really adds something to the tank's colors. I really did not think it would.....

Hopefully, if I can get the Erio setaceum growing nicely in my other tank, then add it back, they stronger growth will prevent the fire shrimp attack. At least I have some back up and can return the poor plant back if the shrimp just will not leave it alone.

I plan on moving the C parva upfront after fight it for several months.
It's just got the right contrast and growth habit that the spot requires, the Fissidens is going up on some wood higher up.

This will free up a section in the rear L which will have the Red low grow hygro added and I have some Ammania gracilius(might be a Nesesa however) that I might use to replace the Mermaid weed in the rear. I like the mermaid weed, but the Ammania will lend a better contrast to that section and fill in denser. No one will buy mermaid weed either

Last but not least, the Tonina "lotus blossom" will need a new home somewhere in this mish mash. This is a cool plant.

I guess I'll also resign myself to frequent trims for the pantanal and add it to the far Right red foreground row. Least till I see another nice red plant that fits the spot better.

In order to maintain a nice Ludwigia "Red" row up front, I think I'll have to stick with the uproot and replant the tops methods, topping alone did not look as nice and recovery was paler.
What you see in the lats pic is the recovery after about 2-3 weeks.
If you can wait that long for recovery, topping does work well.

I sold 24 downoi. So I just have a few scraps left now. They will recover, but I should have sold less, but at 140$ for them, well, hard to say no when I know they will grow back.

Nothing is permanent

I did the same with the Pantanal about 1 month ago.... sold all 25 stems.
Now I'm trying to grow it back :crazy:

Feast or famine.
I'm an idiot sometimes, but.........a little patience allows me to live with myself :shh:

Troi said:

Bang on, its so difficult to communicate effectively through the medium of a forum without being misunderstood at some stage. But I think you're doing ok.

And...I wish I had a back yard like yours, and...well...what can I say about your Dutch something or other that hasn't already been said.

The web leaves out a great deal, and I think many in Europe seem well/more(?) aware of it, in the USA, it's cause to jump down someone's throat, almost an excuse to virtually sucker punch. I love to hike, mountain bike, so if ANY of you ever come to CA, let me know ahead of time, if you are into MTB, I have many epic rides, same for the road push bikes!

I think I got to know and understand Amano a few times as many in the US pushed he and I together at a couple of the conferences. He's a funny guy. Not serious. But he's no Plant Physiologist either. I do not think he speculates and makes most of the stuff up in the mags and journals, I think other folks add such embellishments, it's just not him nor his style.

What I do find interesting is even though I've fought asnd been skeptical, over time many of the same conclusions he arrived at, I and most folks who have tested and tried in this hobby a fair amount all come to very similar conclusions.

In otherwords, we are FAR more ALIKE, than we are different about this hobby. This is true for people worldwide IME.

hogan53 said:
Hi Tom
That's what I call a calculator :D
This one has Magnesium Nitrate :thumbup:
hoggie

I've worked with Wet on this and there's no forum or ads on his cal or link. something I'm strongly for.
He's talked to me about a few of the issues and we have spread the cal to include as many languages as possible, not the typical irony that's often said in the USA:

"Speak *American* dammit!"

Hi Tom
You've both done a good job on that calculator.Nice work. :thumbup:
Now am gonna check Toby's dosing regime for 50 litres :woot: :lol: and mine.
Love the Dutch 120....great colours.
Cheers
hoggie

Back