• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 now with 300w of metal halide

George Farmer said:
Can you elaborate how exactly you determine better growth, please? Just growth rate, or more compact growth, or better colour (we know the green will be more vivid due to the ADA-NAG, but is it visibly noticeable with just your T5s?), or leaf condition/shape... etc. etc...

S mentioned earlier, when the nag green is off, and it's just with 54wt5, it's notable that the greens are much nicer than previous. A little more vibrant.

Parvula and hc looked 'OK' not great with just t5, these past 3 days or so have seriously kicked them into touch.

Sure, dosing is still low, and once/if i notice things getting out of control, i'll add more ferts. I may even switch back to t5 on a full time basis.

I think what i may do is, a week or so closer to 'shooting' the tank i'll add the extra lighting just to spruce things up a bit.

I'm no scientist, far from it, this is just me trying to 'work things out' I blame Amano...he's running his tanks in a similar manner, and i'm just trying to work out hows he's doing it. I'm slowly getting there. :D

here's a littole clip that i've just taken. Again, during a water change. Watch in 720p

just watched that in 1080 fullscreen, and it looked breathtaking

Cheers Gill. to be honest 720 windowed is best. Youtube compress the bones out of the videos i think.

I've played these videos, uncompressed, at highest res on my TV, which is a Panasonic VT30 series plasma....now it has to be seen to be believed. It's kinda my party piece when people come to the house.

There's not much difference between these vids and a blu ray disc.

When Lars and Troles from Tropica came to my house a while back, i showed them these vids on the tele, and i could see Lars' mouth drop to the floor :lol:

I wont harras you all unril the new year now. :oops:

Happy new year, over and out :thumbup:

awesome vid Mark! I'm gonna have to get over to see this in real life.

ianho said:
awesome vid Mark! I'm gonna have to get over to see this in real life.

I think a LOT of us would like the opportunity to see it in the flesh :) When's the open house Mark ? You could have a "bring a plate" day. Everyone brings a plate of food and gets the chance to look at your wonderful setup and enjoy a natter with you and other UKAPS enthusiasts :)

why would you watch it on a screen? I mean.... The tank is right there in the room! ;)

darren636 said:
why would you watch it on a screen? I mean....

To show fully edited videos with titles and credits. For business use. ;)

Piece-of-fish said:
I quit the hobby now...

Ahhh...the master plan worked :lol:

Tony Swinney said:
Superb vid Mark - the combination of the 5dmk2, the uber-crystal clear water, and the hyper-healthy plants is sparkling

Cheers T!

I have riccia issues. It's getting 'floaty' No big deal though. I'll just re tie riccia stones and put them back. I've added 4 cherry barbs for a bit of colour.

With the added lighting, the E Tenellus has turned a real nice crimson colour. Against all the green, it's quite noticeable.

I'm just adding 4 cherry barbs and 12 ottos which i got for the fab price of £20 :p

I feel a riccia session coming on to.

120 x 55 x 55 now with 300w of metal halide

George Farmer said:
Thanks for the replies, Mark. And great shots (again!)

I'm really interested in how you think the higher lighting levels have improved plant health. Can you elaborate how exactly you determine better growth, please? Just growth rate, or more compact growth, or better colour (we know the green will be more vivid due to the ADA-NAG, but is it visibly noticeable with just your T5s?), or leaf condition/shape... etc. etc...

How long will you be running the extra lighting for, and can you remind us what ferts and qtys. you're dosing, please?

I would be a little concerned that the extra light may eventually lead to potential nutrient defs, especially as you're dosing the same qtys. with more light and more biomass as the plants grow and their nutrient requirement increase.

Perhaps the ADA-NAG has actually relatively low PAR, so in fact isn't actually driving much more growth, but is only much brighter to the eye due its green spectral peak, which our eyes are most sensitive to. Although you do mention much more pearling, so that counters that line of thought...

My own thoughts are that the ADA substrate system is acting as a huge nutrient store and buffer. Your set-up is certainly a great advert for it! I guess the question is how long will it last and will you run the 'scape long enough to know...

Please excuse the rambling but I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the success you're having with your methodology, as it's flying in the face of some advice given on UKAPS, especially with the PO4 removers etc.

I guess you're not really that interesting as long as it works, and for you at least, it sure does!

George, i guess the low par issue is only right if you're using the solar with the regular ballasts. So the unit is the one which is not that poweful not the bulb. With the giesemann unit Mark may have different par levels. Probably much higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viktorlantos said:
George, i guess the low par issue is only right if you're using the solar with the regular ballasts. So the unit is the one which is not that poweful not the bulb. With the giesemann unit Mark may have different par levels. Probably much higher.

That's what i'm thinking. Also, with both systems running in the same room, it's clear the ADA rig throws out less light.

Westyggx said:
How did you get the deal on all those ottos!

Barter :angelic:

I had an hour or so making the tank tidy. It was fun actually. I removed large portions of riccia, retied them and put them back.

I must maintain riccia on a much more frequent basis.

The HC gets mullered tonight.

tidy-1.jpg

Stunning scape Mark :thumbup: , that's some super dense HC for 8 weeks.

I like the tweak, a small change can make a big difference.

Cheers,
james

Cheers James.

It looks like I've got to back in tonight. The biggest piece of riccia has pulled alway. So a transplant is in order. Hopefully, this should be the last major plant maintenance until photo time.

Since using halides, the tank has transformed majorly.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 Oooops....

Here's the nightmare...There's just too much riccia.

The pearling isnt helping much either

riccia-1.jpg

Back