• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 15-07-12

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 26-11

nayr88 said:
2 words
Well jel
Haha looks brilliant Andy mate! Very very cool.

Is Jel a real word? LOL
Thanks mate

gillo45 said:
I can't wait I have just picked up a 75x45x45 and it looks amazing hope it turns out like your tank Andy, great scape by the way !
Nice size tank, thanks for your comments
Andy

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 26-11

DAY 13

I added a shoal of Cardinal Tetras a few days ago, plus a few crystal red shrimp. I then had a good prune of the hair grass, Hc, glosso etc. Cant believe how much growth i already had experienced. I want really compact growth around the front of the tank so i will be keeping this well pruned :geek:

The water is crystal clear since adding both Carbon and the Purigen. :geek:

Started dosing ferts this week for the first time.

Here's a couple of pictures:

6479119959_fcef0a761a_b.jpg
ADA60P 08/12/11 full tank shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6479119453_75fa27dc07_b.jpg
ADA60P 08/12/11 by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6479120611_b8e9577601_b.jpg
ADA60P 08/12/11 HC close up by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Andyh

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 08-12

very nice andy :) will be good when your stems bush up in the middle. what end height are you going for there\

Nice rock work with the HC growing over too, always looks so natural when its grown like this.

stuworrall said:
very nice andy :) will be good when your stems bush up in the middle. what end height are you going for there\
Nice rock work with the HC growing over too, always looks so natural when its grown like this.
Cheers Stu :D
Ideally I want the stems to be about to grow to about 2" from the surface and a lot more dense and bush like (trying to resist obvious innuendo's!). I have cut some of the taller stems already and replanted them.

I am getting some ADA ECA from santa and i hope this will help my rotala and tennelus show their red side :geek:

The Hc is throwing our runners over the rocks and really hides the joins between the rocks well, the HC seems to be doing well but have had it better before i have lowered the light a little more to see if that helps it some.

Mark Evans was round today and i couldn't resist getting some advice he suggested that i could prune my hair grass much closer than i had done and it will improve things. So thats what i am doing this evening, well once i have eaten my pizza!

I hacked mine right back, leaving a mm's showing and it grew back and spread really wel.

Dominos I hope Andy! Texas BBQ thin base ...ahhh time to order a pizza i think

So as planned i gave my Hairgrass, Glosso & Tennelus a really close prune its probably about 10mm or less in most places now.

Its looks brutal but i hope this grows back well, or Mark will be in trouble :lol:

6495315917_645cffa771_b.jpg
Untitled by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6495314047_e48ae9b1bd_b.jpg
Close Prune by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6495315065_45f516674c_b.jpg
Untitled by andyh_2011, on Flickr

be interesting to see how quick it grows back?
Thanks for looking
Andyh

bogwood said:
Looking good.
Certainly gone for a "close shave"
Lets hope its recovered for my visit at christmas, better not forget your "glass ware"

You better not forget the glassware, since you have made me wait since Aquatics Live!
The tank is starting to show signs of good growth after the harsh prune, so should be good for your visit.

Tony Swinney said:
Good stuff Andy, just keep everything clean and healthy otherwise algae may be attracted to the cut stems of the hairgrass :wideyed:
Tony

Yeah thanks Tony! Keeping a close eye on that!! :geek: :lol:

So Santa has been and i got some nice things

I have a nice new CalAqua 13mm inlet to replace the ehiem one.

I also got some ADA ECA additive (basically an Iron based product, which claims to make your red plants redder and help generally with plant health. By way of a log i added the first dose today 24 drops as per instructions. Lets see what happens

I also got some Fissidens Fontanus which i have superglued to the wood.

Pics to follow shortly.

Andy

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 29-12

DAY 45

Things going well, tank is a lot more stable now. Only problem being a little BBA on the hardscape which is loosing the battle :lol: .

The Rotala Stems had reached the surface and so i have cut them back down to about 5cm tall. i also trimmed the gloss and HC in parts. You will notice that i have added some fissisndens to the wood and onto a couple of the stones. I simply superglued it on, left it for 10days till it showed signs of growth and the pruned it back hard.

I chosen a background for these pics as i always seem to prefer the darker backgrounds.
Firstly DAY ONE

6407335111_5c3fd1e3a3_b.jpg
Full Setup Shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

DAY 45
6680426815_e1b0953215_b.jpg
Full Tank Shot 2 by andyh_2011, on Flickr

More pics:

6680428495_36349a51ef_b.jpg
HC Carpet by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6680429365_dc0eaa81cc_b.jpg
Crypts, FIssindens and HC by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6680431037_279ee9f8ed_b.jpg
Apistogramma Agassizii 'fire red' by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6680427609_9d681206d7_b.jpg
Full Tank Shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

I am spending most time at the moment with pruning and dosing.

The tank has reached the point were its a lot more stable, and i am able to make observations about the changes i am making. Mark mentioned that HC loved easycarbo, and he is right. I have dosed 2ml every other day for the last 7 days and the HC has really lept into life. :geek:

The ADA ECA has a impact on the Rotala its defo looking a lot more pink, well it did before i pruned it all.

Thanks for looking

Andyh

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 11-01-12

Looking nice Andy!

andyh said:
The ADA ECA has a impact on the Rotala its defo looking a lot more pink

This is good news mate. I dont have enough ECA for my bigger tanks, but i do have a really strong concentration of ELOS iron. I may start adding this to the 90cm, which has many red and pink hue plants. Currently, they're growing GREEN!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

bogwood said:
Looking good Andy. :thumbup:
Nice to see my Fissindens survived the move back to Derby.
The HC has responded well, and is looking very vibrant.
Any sign of the apistos spawning, the male certainly looks stunning.

Cheers! I forgot that i originally gave you the fissindens, so it gone full circle!
The Apistos are defo up to something, but what is the real question!

Mark Evans said:
Looking nice Andy!
andyh said:
The ADA ECA has a impact on the Rotala its defo looking a lot more pink
This is good news mate. I dont have enough ECA for my bigger tanks, but i do have a really strong concentration of ELOS iron. I may start adding this to the 90cm, which has many red and pink hue plants. Currently, they're growing GREEN!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Thanks Mark, and thanks for the EC advice with HC really working.

Yes the ECA is working the tennelus has started to go pink and the and the rotalas defo did. The amount you dose with the ECA is significant (24 drops per day on 60L) i may switch back to easy life Ferro after this runs out as its far more cost effective. Let me know about the ELOS iron, if its any good?

Andy

Update 12th Feb

Its been a month since my last update so here is a few pics. Everything growing well, just a little BBA on the hardscape, but i have reduced light levels by increasing the height of my light and concentrated on my CO2.

Here you go:

6866018651_e3d697a2ec_b.jpg
Full Tank Shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6866015481_8ae80232fb_b.jpg
Corner Shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6866017617_54dd32b219_b.jpg
Full tank shot 2 by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6866016397_36bc1388e3_b.jpg
Otto by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6866014531_8fa7b4a0e7_b.jpg
Close up by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6866012981_16c5328450_b.jpg
Full tank shot 3 by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Sorry a little picture heavy, but as you can see things growing well, need to keep it looking good as Stu and Graeme will be popping by in a couple of weeks time, looks like i need to get my toothbrush out and starting scrubbing the rocks! :lol:

Thanks for looking

Andyh

Back