• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech and plants

I will be starting the tank rescape in the new year. I will post pics as it progresses( with the new camera i am getting for xmas). I will be using John Innes no 3 as my substrate with a capping of approx 3cm of unipac limpopo black( which i already have). I am still researching the plants, but think i will go with, Riccia(now floating in the tank and growing very well), Java moss, Jave fern,sagittaria subbulata, Anubius barteri, Hygrophilia polysperma, Microanthemum umbrosum, vallis and Crypt wendtii. If any of these plants fail, then i will try something else, but i am determined to have a nice planted tank in the near future. The fish will include approx 30 corries, Venuzuelans, Jullii, Sterbaii and Peppered. 5 B/N plecs( which may go depending on how the plants cope with them. Approx 20 neons and 6 Torpedo barbs, + 1 indian whisker shrimp. This is going to be a learn as it happens experience, so i am aware that not everything will work together, so i am prepared to make changes as neccessary. I will keep you all informed as to how i am progressing. Chris.

Troi said:
Chris...sounds like an exciting project. Please do keep us up to date, looking forward to some photos.

Hi Troi,

I know you posted this some time ago, but I have a quick question.

I have some Peat Moss from J Arthur Bowers which is 100% peat apparently and I also have some grit from the garden centre. Not sure if it's lime free - I'll have to check when I get home.

Just wondering where you can get sterlised lome from? I've searched everwhere and cannot find it. Is it some sort of 'top soil' ?

Just in the process of setting up a low tech, low water change, soil based aquarium! :eek:

Thanks very much

Will.

Hi Will, if you Google sterilized loam you get any number of propriety brands available from garden centers etc. However, I have taken to mixing 50% peat moss with 50% aquatic soil - Westland do a version that is OK as do B&Q - and other garden centers do their own brands as well, most seem to be fairly generic, that is very similar in composition, so take your pick.

It works for me, in that you get a substrate with a good nutrient balance and a high organic matter content which gradually gives off CO2 as it decomposes, all to the benefit of plant growth.

Back