• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fixing/Joining Wood Pieces

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

Quick question. I'm trying to scape with a large collection of wood pieces that I would like to secure to each other to form something more solid as a type of "claw".

Suggestions on methods of joining the branches?

Cable ties
Silicon (will this be strong enough?)
Hot glue gun?

Thanks,
John

I have used A Hot glue gun and it is quick and easy. not need to wait overnight for drying time. glued and in the tank in 1/2hr.

Thanks for the replies guys,

very useful.

John

Also i should add with Hot Glue. When you want to take apart the wood, you can. The Glue Snaps off the wood, I do this when re-arranging glued on anubias and moss, the glue snaps off.

Gill said:
Also i should add with Hot Glue. When you want to take apart the wood, you can. The Glue Snaps off the wood, I do this when re-arranging glued on anubias and moss, the glue snaps off.

I have a hot glue gun from when I was trying to DIY the pipework together. I think i might do this option as Bonsai Wire will take some time to arrive.

In regard to the wire. I'm presuming peeps use the anodised aluminium version not the copper. :D

Gill said:
thanks Gill, good to know that :thumbup:

hijac said:
Gill said:

I have a hot glue gun from when I was trying to DIY the pipework together. I think i might do this option as Bonsai Wire will take some time to arrive.

In regard to the wire. I'm presuming peeps use the anodised aluminium version not the copper. :D

ooh yes! NOT the copper (it costs more anyway :) ), especially if you have shrimp. Just the alum stuff which you can get in 250g rolls

Hi all,
You can use wooden dowels if the wood is dry and you don't want glue or wire in the tank. Just drill 2 holes so they are a snug fit with you dowel, and then cut the dowel to the length you want, and place the joined wood pieces in water, the dowel will swell and lock them together. This is a really good technique for substantial branches etc.

I used to always use a wooden dowel peg, but I usually now use super-glue and a cable tie. For a while I used a marine grade stainless steel screw and super-glue, but actually super-glue and a cable tie seems pretty good and is a lot cheaper.

cheers Darrel

I've purely used marine grade SS screws, but I was securing some quite chunky pieces of wood so wanted very secure, hidden fixing. I pilot-holed the screws first as I discovered (to my cost) that they're not very strong so when the wood bites the head tends to snap off.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
You can use wooden dowels if the wood is dry and you don't want glue or wire in the tank. Just drill 2 holes so they are a snug fit with you dowel, and then cut the dowel to the length you want, and place the joined wood pieces in water, the dowel will swell and lock them together. This is a really good technique for substantial branches etc.

I used to always use a wooden dowel peg, but I usually now use super-glue and a cable tie. For a while I used a marine grade stainless steel screw and super-glue, but actually super-glue and a cable tie seems pretty good and is a lot cheaper.

cheers Darrel

Very good. I've got some 5mm dowels downstairs i could try.

Back