• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nice pond!

PhilBen said:
PM me when you have some new pics
Just click "Subscribe topic" at the bottom of the page and then you will get an email every time it gets updated ;)

That's a stunning pond.. I have a mate that builds them for a living. Not quite seen anything as good as that in the portfolio tho.

Stunning Build, and love the coping stones you made. Any more details on how you made these please and the mix you used.

Thanks, the capping stones were one of my trademarks, I have never published pics of how I build them in the past but as I have retired now .....
I used fiber mix cement, a 3-1 mix with added plastic fibers but, the empty moulds have to be lined with a fine sand mix without the fibers first to achieve a nice finish. i personally hand finish the top of the capping with a pointing tool & 25mm paint brush.
The really big stones have steel reinforcing too, the mould are stuck in place with polyurethane foam via a gun & broken off once the mix has cured - that really makes a mess!
Finally the capping stones are painted with a cement mix made from fine sand unibond glue & a colour dye before being pointed with the same mix without the dye.
A lot of work but most folk are happy with the result.
Here is pic just after pointing ...
P1040904.jpg

Thanks mate, I have never been back to the pond so I guesse the customer was happy.
I spent some time this summer working on a pond I built 25 years ago, the pond still has the same stocking of koi & two sturgeon.
Some of them are really big.....

Thanks guys - I have not completely retired its just that I don't employ anybody anymore & I don't take on any big projects anymore. However I do still maintain some of the bigger ponds that I built & the last couple of springs have been busy, there are always UV tubes to replace & filters to service etc.
In fact one of my hobbies has taken off big time & I am now building spear guns as fast as I want - a bit of a bazaar twist :wideyed:

BigTom said:
If you ever fancy being someone's boss again then give me a shout :lol:

Would quite happily give up my PhD for building ponds in the Channel Islands...

I second that.......plumbers alwyas come in handy winkwink, lol

Back