• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temperature

gargamelcz

Seedling
Hi all,
I wondered about influence of temperature on plants and possibility of algae bloom. I found out, that during summer months it's much more difficult to avoid problems with algae.
What's the relationship between speed of plants grow, demand for nutrients, CO2 and oxygen with higher temperatures?

Generally warmer waters will have a positive effect on the metabollic rate of the plants. I think someone once said on here that a plant in 28degC will grow 10x as quick as a plant in 18degC (assuming CO2, nutrients etc are equal).
Higher metabolism demands more CO2 and nutrients.
Colder water has the ability to withhold more oxygen than warmer water.

gargamelcz said:
Does it mean, that increase of temperature from 25degC to 28degC will cause 3 times quicker plants grow?

Not sure if the growth of aquatic plants is a simple linear relationship. The growth of aquatic plants will increase as fred says due increase in temp up to a point, but extremes of temp will damage plant tissues. There is also the effect of gas solubility in water vs temp, vital gases such as O2 and CO2 will decrease in solubility with increasing temp see below link, the relationship is not linear for this:

http://www.dynamicscience.com.au/tester/solutions/chemistry/solutions/gsinsln.htm

Maybe some of the scientists on here will be able to shed more light and point us to a graph.

I had heard that too high a temperature (mid 20s and above) impeeds the plant's ability to take on nutrients and can actually make it harder for them to grow.

I could be wrong.

I knocked my thermostat during water change. Pushed temp up to 30 C for a week before I realised the evaporation was high and the water was really warm to touch. My plants suffered especially the staurogyne (old leaves yellowing) and some crypts started dropping leaves.

Much better since dropping back to 25C

But that's not neccasarily because its too hot but rather the nutrients and CO2 werent enough to cope with the increased plant metabolism.

I agree with Fred. The secondary effect of temperature increase is a decline in the solubility of the gasses which are most critical to plant growth. Checkc the thread
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15903

Lowering the temperature does help to deter algae as they respond more favorably at the higher values (which ought to be no surprise).

Cheers,

Never had any problems with growth in high temps, last year the water temperature reached 35 degrees and the plants were growing like crazy. Just make sure to increase CO2, etc.

Mike

Back