• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp dramatic change of colour

JamesD

I went to my LFS and they had a tank with some shrimp in labeled as "Orange Shrimp". I purchased 7 of them as there were 30 dead ones so I felt I would rescue them from this shrimp hell hole.

Anyway, they were indeed orange, a pastel shade of carrot orange. Since I have had them in the tank for over a month many of them have changed colour. Some have become incredibly dark, a very deep terracotta orange with almost black markings. Others have become very red. One is a very dark brown.

I have also noticed the crystal red red shrimp bands have also become an incredibly rich dark red in colour.

Anyone know why this might occur?

Here are some pics

From this

To this

can't find my macro lense so 2nd photo a bit poo. Some epic green spot algae on that wood too, get to work you dumb shrimp :)

Looks like a saddled female, in which case she could be displaying breeding plumage as do the Cherries when ready to drop.

Those shrimp are Caridina cf. propinqua I got them like are in the first pic and a few moultings they are pic 2. I thought they were like cherries but they aren't the young need a larval stage.
But these guys are a great clean up crew.

Hi, I'm not sure if shrimp can be artificially dyed like fish can. It could be that maybe. Just a thought

Back