• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Over and out.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 'Ruby' @ almost 2 weeks

Bobtastic said:
Are you still running with two filters Mark? or did you remove one after setup?

I'm running 2, adding the second recently :)

viper3770 said:
Great tank Mark, really like those Barb's too.

Thanks viper. They're a great fish.

I decided to clean the foreground gravel this morning. So i set about my usual routine of getting the hose pipe that i use to siphon out water.

I set to work sucking up the crap which the fish and shrimp had deposited over the last 2 weeks. At first, i thought i was doing a great job but discovered the pipe getting clogged with the odd stone and flow became average to say the least.

I then decided to go and buy a gravel vac from P@H, one of those cheap ones, but good god, they're great!

The amount of fish poop that came up was unreal. I did the whole lot in water change! I also syphoned over parts of the substrate i could see. To make life easier, i attached it to my hose pipe, fed that outside, and syphoned until my heart was full of joy :lol:

Another benefit, is the fact that you can put the vac over the moss, and it cleans it all without sucking up the whole stone.

I know they're not new things, but for me, it's a revelation!

So, now that the gravel is free from crap, i then fed the fish.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 'Ruby' Gravel vacs and all things nice

you seem to do no wrong but it's nice to know to know you can teach a old dog new tricks regarding the gravel cleaner. Love the tank and fish choice

mrjackdempsey said:
nice to know to know you can teach a old dog new tricks regarding the gravel cleaner

There's still lots i need to learn Dave. Lots!

icepotato89 said:
it looks like there is no flow in the tank, or do you just turn off the filters for feeding

I always turn off the filters when feeding. I feed until i start to see stay bits of food get to the bottom. Then stop.

I just cant help myself with fish at the moment. What with having a mature filter, and a large tank, surely i can start to stock the tank? :D

Just 4 of these serpae tetras. Just to see how they look.

serpae.jpg

Just love Serpae tetras but can be prone to nipping fins of other fish if not kept in sufficient numbers. There is my latest jewel though they are tiny even Cardinals are big in comparison to them but been chasing them for awhile now
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Poec ... tzmani.php
The Black Morpho Tetra

Looking really really nice.

I personally prefer Red Phantoms to Serpaes. They look very similar just not as... bitie!

Could we see a vid of the filters in full flow and plant movement?

so, whta LPH is that doing now?

btw its looking really good mate.

ianho said:
so, whta LPH is that doing now?

2600LPH. I'm happy at that.

With 5 hours of the photo period being just 2 54w T5 (which is not a lot) suits the tank just fine. There's an additional 1 hour of 2 x 150MH just to boost the stems, and give a little extra to the crypts.

The only form of algae I've seen was fungus on the wood which the sae's cleared in a day.

I'm still over joyed with my gravel cleaner :lol:

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 'Ruby' A bit of red.

At last, there's a bit of red showing. The aponogeten crispus 'red' is throwing out new leaves.

This is a new plant to me, but what a beautiful plant it is. From the following images, you can just make out the older leaves next to the new ones.

Ruby begins :lol:

aponogeten-crispus-red-1.jpg

I've also planted a few bits of the stuff on the right side. just to accent the area.

aponogeten-crispus-red-2.jpg

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 Last of the pics for a while

Well, it's been a mad couple of weeks. I'm back to work tomorrow, so these will be the last pics for some time.

I'm glad to get back actually.

Here's a partial FTS @ water change and a detail shot.

See you in a couple of weeks or so :thumbup:

fts--waterchange.jpg

rubt--2-weeks.jpg

love that last shot of the Crispus! A really really nice plant.

Have a great time at work, lol.

Hi Mark,hope your feeling better,the setup look's stunning mate,

John.

john starkey said:
Hi Mark,hope your feeling better,the setup look's stunning mate,

Cheers John, i'm good to go again! :thumbup:

ianho said:
love that last shot of the Crispus! A really really nice plant.

It's a lovely plant isnt it. I really need to start growing new plants...well new to me at least. :D

Photo shoots should be fun.

Photos look really good especially the picture of the Aponogeten, great looking plant.At what rate is it growing? I have a few different types from Dennerle that grew quite fast but look the biz.Glad you're back to full health

Back