• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's 110 Ltr Opti-White - New Journal

skeletonw00t said:
When taking photo's of tanks do you guys use your flash? I am rubbish at Photography but these shots are taken using a DSLR (Nikon D70s) so i am sure I can get better quality photo's than I am currently getting with my cam. My photo's just seem almost grainy and not smooth or of good quality.

Assume you're using manual settings? If so, depends on your camera, but don't use an ISO of more than 400 unless it's a very good DSLR. I don't know Nikons, but a Canon 60D can go a bit faster than this.

Are you using a tripod? Essential! If you don't have one, just balance the camera on a chair or pile of something, and use a timer - so you don't get camera shake.

Turn off the filter pump: moving plants will blur a little more.

I know other people use remote flashes above the tank to get even higher light. This seems pretty essential for sharp pictures of fish.... Especially tetras and anything quick.

Play about with aperture settings. You want the widest aperture (lowest number) that still gives you a clear depth of field across the tank depth.

Are you using a good lens? If you're using a telephoto it will be cutting out a lot of light unless it's very good. Maybe try using a 50 without a zoom to get more light in.

Love the scale though! Some really good pictures would be great. Also - you don't need to load them up on the site at such high resolution - they take ages to load. Just export them at 720px wide and 72 dpi resolution from your image software. If it's a mac I'd use Aperture - not sure about pcs!

Think you can get even better shots - your camera is a good one. It's still looking a bit blurry. Look at Mark Evan's journal for the clarity of shot you're aiming for. (Or mine shows the difference between a decent slr and a crappy camera).

Try turning off all lights in the room apart from the tank, and using a makeshift tripod. That way you'll avoid reflections. Also force your camera to auto bracket (taking three photos at a time, with one underexposed and one overexposed). Also try narrowing the metering to a small spot, as your background is quite bright and you'll be losing detail. Slightly underexposed shots are easier to bring detail up than overexposed ones.

When you look at the histogram for the photo, you're aiming for there to be no 'spikes' that go off the chart - this is where you're losing detail. If you have a good photo editing programme, also look at hot and cold areas - which will tell you whether you've got the exposure right.

great tank! i just read through the whole thread, the cardinals in the video look so calm and relaxed, my experience i had with my old two feet and tetras had them dashing around like really irritating insects... not peaceful to look at... :(
yours is nice though... :D

Back