• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A different approach - Algae improvement with low light

Tom

Hoping for better luck this time around! A different approach.

Aquarium ADA Mini M
Lighting 18w PC
Filter Eheim Ecco Pro 300
CO2 FE, start at 1bps
Substrate ADA Aquasoil Africana, ADA Congo Sand mixed with P@H grey gravel to bulk out
Wood ADA Old Iron Wood
Rocks ADA Ryouh Stone
Ferts Undecided, but probably low dose EI. Will see how it goes
Plants Crypts mainly (wendtii "tropica", parva, willisii, balansae, undulata), Weeping moss (still to come), Xmas moss, leftover tenellus.

Quick start-up snap below - missing some plants still! I'm still awaiting the balansae, undulata and moss from TGM. Hopefully be here tomorrow. Anyone think I have enough plants?? :lol: The "tropica" variety was much taller than I expected. Hopefully it will hang a bit lower with time, and the Undulata and Balansae will give it the height it will need. I'm a little bit worried about shadowing the parva, but will see how we go.

IMG_3068.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

Re: A different approach.

nice re-scape tom. its got a rounded look with the plants and love how the wood is trying to get out! Isnt balanse the one that grows in a huge stem? brave man trying that in a nano but maybe regular clipping like with ferns will keep it sprouting and shorter?

When I read a different approach I thought it'd be low-tech...

Unusual plant list, not at all to my tastes but an interesting experiment regardless, I'll be watching keenly to see how you pull it off.

Tony Swinney said:
Nice layout Tom, it'll be interesting to follow this, as there are some plants in your list which are generally considered too big for a nano. I guess you'll manage them to keep their size down ?

Good luck with it :)

Tony

Cheers Tony - I am really going for the densely planted look with this one. Hopefully the Tropica variety will flatten down like I have found in my Do!aqua, which will make it look much less chaotic and neater. At the moment it all just looks chucked it, but there is a plan! Once it's settled, I'd like it to reach out over the wood at the front, with the Undulata as a large bush behind, and Balansae coming over the top.

stuworrall said:
nice re-scape tom. its got a rounded look with the plants and love how the wood is trying to get out! Isnt balanse the one that grows in a huge stem? brave man trying that in a nano but maybe regular clipping like with ferns will keep it sprouting and shorter?

Thanks Stu - Yeah Balansae can get pretty beastly. I used it years ago in the 25l, and managed to keep it more or less under control. I hope to do the same again. Might take some strategic leaf-trimming for many of the larger species though. I'd like the leaves to hit the surface and trail over slightly. Kind of like in Amano's "Globe Theatre" layout, but just not as many. Most plants I've used don't need too much light, so a bit of overshadowing shouldn't matter too much. I am a bit worried about the Parva and Willisii though, being so much smaller!

Garuf said:
When I read a different approach I thought it'd be low-tech...

Unusual plant list, not at all to my tastes but an interesting experiment regardless, I'll be watching keenly to see how you pull it off.

Low tech, what's that?? :rolleyes: I haven't set up the CO2 for it yet, but will need to before lights on. The glassware is still bleaching at the moment.

Thanks for the comments,
Tom

Mate the crypts are neat, they are like those little cute oscars you see in the pet shop the people buy and place them with guppies in their 30l tank, and those runners they spread all around the tank after a while ... lovely :)
Don't worry about shading, they are not particular in need of lots of light. I had all the crypts you have there so if any insight needed just ask.

I wouldn't use that wood now. I mean, you had bad luck last time.

Be sure to cut the emersed leaves after the submersed ones start growing so the plant use it's energy for them.

Best of luck!

Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike. How heavily can I trim the Crypts when I see new growth? As for the shading, Tropica said parva may need more light than others, so that's why I mentioned it. Will see how it goes. Am now looking forward to seeing what monsters I get from TGM! Wondering whether to lift the wood out to tie the moss, or use little moss stones again.

This isn't the same wood, this is now Old Iron Wood. The old stuff I had a good look at last night and it's gone a bit soft, and rotted down a bit :/

Cheers,
Tom

Not really concerned about it rotting but more about it blocking the flow and those crypts from developing in nice bushes. Regarding the crypts you can cut the old leaves that start decaying/yellowing, don't know when it happens, it's different every time. When they settle down they grow fast (excepting parva) 1 new leaf every 2-3 days and they will look totally different in submersed form, then you can cut all the old ones.

Tom said:
Moss added

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

gonna quote it as it seems a shame to have the pics at the bottom of the last page.

This is going to be a stunner Tom :thumbup:

Quick shot at day 1.5 weeks. Has anyone got any ideas for improving the flow to the bottom right hand corner? A spray bar along the back isn't an option as it will blow the crypts to oblivion. I currently just have a jet going across the front to hit the diffuser, but the right hand side is quite dead at the moment.

IMG_3308.jpg

Re: A different approach - 1.5 weeks - flow?

move your outflow pipe next to the intake, that way the water makes a nice circular journey behind the wood from left to right passed the co2, around the front and down to the bottom where the intake is, instead of right to left passed the co2 and round the back, missing the front bottom altogether..

wearsbunnyslippers said:
move your outflow pipe next to the intake, that way the water makes a nice circular journey behind the wood from left to right passed the co2, around the front and down to the bottom where the intake is, instead of right to left passed the co2 and round the back, missing the front bottom altogether..

+1 that idea....would help the flow disperse move evenly....i have nightmare of a job trying to alter the flow on my corner tank....i have come to the conclsion i will never get it absolutely spot on but tiny adjustments make all the difference.

Also love the scape...wish i could have a mini M.....instead i have a mini B coming aka baby, haha

Thanks - yeah I had it like that originally, but when I saw how little flow was in the back right, I moved the intake there in the hope of drawing water through that area. Maybe it doesn't work like that!??!

I'm in the process of finally finishing the light unit I started before the last scape. Making it look like the Mini Solar style lights using some drainpipe and acrylic. Painting it now :D Hopefully by tomorrow night it'll be fitted, and no longer look so bare.

Tom

Back