• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing HC in Volcanit by Aqua Medic

mzm

Hi,

has anyone tried to grow HC in Volcanit substrate by Aqua Medic? Or maybe in similar sized grain substrate? I do not seem to be having luck with HC in Volcanit and am not certain whether part of the problem is the size of the grains (I think I have seen nice HC carpets in similar size substrates) or lack of nutrients in this substtrate....

Regards,
Michael

The grain size is good.
Do you dose any nutrients?
Most likely cause is lack of nutrients and/or lack of CO2. Look at distribution of both these factors.

Hi Fred, thank you for your post. I use EI fertilisation method and inject co2 keeping it at a ph of around 6.03. co2 comes on two hours before lights on and goes off one hour prior to lights off.... co2 is diffused by Green Leaf Atomic diffuser.

Distribution is via a bluemec external filter 1500l/hr, a juwel internal filter 1000l/hr, additional hailea pump for chiller 1000l/hr and a haquos power head.....

Well, something is telling you it needs more of something. Structural failure points toward not enough carbon (40% of dry weight is carbon). Lack of colour and stunted growth can be lack of nutrients. HC is very nitrate hungry.

Thanks again.

HC is nice and green for two to three days then it starts to come to pieces / disintegrate with yellowing of leaves. I am also adding liquid carbon so I dont know whether I should pump up co2 even more....

I have started to double dose CSM+B today so I hope that this might make a difference before it all wilts away....

Yeah, CO2 or nitrate and I'm leaning more towards CO2.
You might be pumping in enough, you just got to make sure it's bein blasted towards the HC

was reading an interesting post by George Farmer and some Nitrogen based ferts he was testing some time back. Apparently HC is quite Nitrogen hungry so I might try and give that a go for a couple of weeks to see whether i can mange to save it.....

mzm said:
was reading an interesting post by George Farmer and some Nitrogen based ferts he was testing some time back. Apparently HC is quite Nitrogen hungry so I might try and give that a go for a couple of weeks to see whether i can mange to save it.....

Fred Dulley said:
Well, something is telling you it needs more of something. Structural failure points toward not enough carbon (40% of dry weight is carbon). Lack of colour and stunted growth can be lack of nutrients. HC is very nitrate hungry.

Good luck

Hi Fred, looking at your post again i now see that you also recomended it :oops:

Back