• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stu's ADA Mini M nano - updated pics, page 12

Re: Stu's ADA Mini M nano - Step by step on page 5

Cheers Andy. Good to see you again at TGM the other day :) Planting starts tonight as ive been prepping the bolbitus onto stones tonight and im about to pinch some java and moss from the 90cm :)

cant wait to see this planted! looking forward to more pictures

Well, i finally found the time to get this planted and filled the other night.

tank sprayed flooded with water up to the lower aquasoil level to aid planting
5864409648_ee8222d9ea_b.jpg
mini-m-22 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Some hydropiper planted in the front
5863856217_d5cb94325b_b.jpg
mini-m-23 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

and a little more... Small pinsette type tweezers are great for planting this. I used to try this with HC and big tweezers which just ends up crushing the roots.
5863856365_4562a0c9f7_b.jpg
mini-m-24 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Hydropiper done, some HC on the left and fern on the right
5864410046_a3c069f197_b.jpg
mini-m-26 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Now in go some tennelus at the bottom left and right plus a pot of HM
5863856629_3c5327b710_b.jpg
mini-m-27 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

more ferns
5863856791_a644b10095_b.jpg
mini-m-28 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

The bolbitus starts to go in. I got small slate/yamaya pieces and tied the bolbitus to them with either tie wrap/ cotton or bonsai waire depending on how the roots were placed. (Bolbitus doesnt like its roots buried). I didnt attach it to any wood as I wanted as much freedom to move it as possible if needed :)
5863856931_15281f2740_b.jpg
mini-m-29 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

All in
5864410586_99ae5173cd_b.jpg
mini-m-30 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Scrunched paper in to keep the substrate in place when I fill with water.
5863857271_fdbd2d0481_b.jpg
mini-m-31 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Filling up...
5864410888_826a404ab3_b.jpg
mini-m-32 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Filled :)
5864411018_0b591363d0_b.jpg
mini-m-33 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

I was really impressed with the Africana as there was no dust whatsoever when I filled with water and it was as clear as a bell from straight off and has been since.

Since I took this the front ferns have been moved down a touch so they look more natural. I also havent got around to tying any new fissidens moss stones so about 10 of these will be going in at random places on the front. Ive also had from hydrocytl SP Japan from b7fec today which has gone in at the front. Cheers Ben :thumbup:

The bad news is that the hydropiper hasnt converted very well as it started turning to mush as soon as it went underwater. I may try some newer pots of it or if not im going to go with glosso for the foreground as Ive not used that before.

Its moved to its location in front of the TV now and had three water changes since due to it being a new tank and also getting some tanins in the water from the wood. The very good news was that the ada hornwood sank straight away due to its density :D result!

It looks great already. Really looking forward to see this mature. And I agree with George, the step-by-step i fantastic. Amano class. :thumbup:

thanks both :oops:

Got to say that nano tanks are a LOT easier to photograph than the bigger stuff.

I forgot to say that in this image below i tried a different wrapping technique for the moss on wood. On the far right top spike you should see a wrap of wire. This is 1mm bonsai wire which i used to wrap some moss instead of cotton as I can never get it tight/secured with cotton. The beauty of it is that it moulds to the wood and when the moss adheres I can just snip the wire and it will fall off :)

5863856629_3c5327b710_b.jpg
mini-m-27 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Quality Stu.

image quality is second to none mate.

I also find the smaller the tank, the easier it is to photograph, but harder to get 'arty' images.

Very nice guide Stu! Congratulations on the new tank :thumbup:

Africana is very good. Crystal clear water is just one gift, but you will be amazed how easy to maintain this. We have it in our gallery in a 90P tank and there was not any algae at all in the past 4 months. And just as crystal clear as it was from the start.

Lovely nano mate! :angelic:

Stunning dude! Photography and scape

You really are spoiling us with this !

Keep up the good work.

the photography is wild!! skills to pay the bills stu!! haha i can see why tgm sponserd it, some really quality shots :D

as far as the he layout and planting ect, i think your onto a winner mate, looks really good.....infact.....

certified

REEEEEEEEM!!!
haha(feel free to burn me Garuf haha)

Mark Evans said:
Quality Stu.

image quality is second to none mate.

I also find the smaller the tank, the easier it is to photograph, but harder to get 'arty' images.
Cheers mark. I was determined to show the kit up well with some decent images. Planting under 300W continuous light is a bit daunting and speedy with the heat!

Ive taken a few videos of the scape with the 5d but finding a cheapish video converter that I dont want to spend hundreds on is quite frustrating. Im wishing someone would come up with a free converter so I can then do basic edits in windows movie maker or something :(

nayr88 said:
the photography is wild!! skills to pay the bills stu!! haha i can see why tgm sponserd it, some really quality shots :D

as far as the he layout and planting ect, i think your onto a winner mate, looks really good.....infact.....

certified

REEEEEEEEM!!!
haha(feel free to burn me Garuf haha)

andyh said:
Stunning dude! Photography and scape

You really are spoiling us with this !

Keep up the good work.
Cheers both :D glad you like it although I still havent got a clue what REEEEEMM is? :lol:

viktorlantos said:
Very nice guide Stu! Congratulations on the new tank :thumbup:

Africana is very good. Crystal clear water is just one gift, but you will be amazed how easy to maintain this. We have it in our gallery in a 90P tank and there was not any algae at all in the past 4 months. And just as crystal clear as it was from the start.

Lovely nano mate! :angelic:
Thanks Viktor, yup the Africana is doing well. still no cloudyness at all but the hydropiper isnt showing any signs of life so im still doing big water changes in case the leaves dying off attracts and algae blooms

The tank has moved to its new home now and has survived the short carry without dropping it :) Ive still to get some extra ferna dn fissidens from the big tank so will do that tomorrow probably at water change time.

5863857679_06b362832f_b.jpg
mini-m-34 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Looks great Stu :)

Was good to see you last weekend - I popped back into TGM again yesterday and picked up some nano-sized seiryu-type stones and Congo sand to go with my Old Iron Wood and Africana :) Maybe should have got a Music Glass too!!

Thanks Tom, good to see you too :) Sounds like a nice few purchases there :) Yup the music glass looks quite cool. The best thing for me is that it will be so easy to clean as there are no suckers to remove from the glass inside the tank

Wow Stu,it look's pretty nice to me mate,ADA bling certainly look's top notch,i love the plant choice mate and can't wait to see it mature :thumbup: ,the nice thing about these little tank's is the sense of scale that can be achieved from different image's taken from every possible angle,

John.

Looks amazing Stu! It's an interesting to see, that sometimes plants decrease the strength of the hardscape, sometimes adds a lot and create a different look and feel. In your tank plants added a lot to the aquascape at least for me. Love it! ;)

And the water is crystal clear ;)

thanks John and Viktor. yes still crystal :D

I got some glosso yesterday from the green machine so ill be planting that tonight to replace the hydropiper as they didnt have any in.

I agree with the rest, a lovely step-by-step with excellent images. Can't wait to see it grow in!

Do you tie off the bonsai wire into a knot or is it just wrapped around?

Damn I didn't realise that that was you, Tom, at TGM at the meet... Sorry I didn't get to speak to you. I was the one with my head in the tank attempting to enter the scaping competition. I was also wearing a bright blue t-shirt. :thumbup:

cheers Bob

The bonsai wire doesnt need tying. Its maleable aluminium so you just shape it to the wood and it stays in position, thats why its so much easier than cotton :)

Glosso is all planted now so I have a green lawn at the front :)

Great pictures. Love the scape. I am really considering getting a Mini. Just have to wait till I setup the 90P.

A couple of questions is you do not mind.
Is there a big difference in the Do aqua outflow pipe and the ADA Lily pipe mini?
Do you notice and differences in the Africana as a pose to Amazonia?
Asking because the Book of ADA says that plants grow slower and it also help to lower pH more than the others.
Just want a first hand account of it.

Best regards,
Cesar

Back