• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kodama (??) - Wabi - Choosing Fish??

Re: Kodama (??) - Wabi - Vid - Grass ID'd :)

Did my 1st trim this morning on some of the weed stems on the left hand side.
Found a few hitch hikers - A white Slug and a few woodlouse. Disposed of them.
Not seen my 2 year old Amano shrimp for a few days, so it might have passed away.
Still thinking about other livestock. Missus wants me to add some fish or something else for the little one to look at.

Going to go and see Angie in Northants when feeling better and see what Pico fish/shrimp/gobies she has in ATM

Re: Kodama (??) - Wabi - Vid - Grass ID'd :)

ghostsword said:
Why not add a frog? They are cute and would do good on such a small space. Fish I am not so sure.

Cheers for the idea, something to think about.
How About Newts, sometimes see them in the LFS'.
I was thinking about Crabs, Either Thai Micros - Love them.
Sulawesi Crabs - Not sure as good Escape Artists.
Hermits - Nowhere for them to dig and could drown as water is deep for a hermit.

There are a Few, very few fish that would love this tank with all its nooks and crannies and slow flow. Just finding them is going to be the Hard Part.

Paedocypris progenetica
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2006/jan/news_7501.html

Gobiopterus panayensis
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1o4nA8QfCStYEWx0ftGKEMKIi65mqkKWwsoT9lYCmz1ZziMQC.jpg

Indostomus crocodilus

Indostomus paradoxus

Neostethus bicornis
ikan-neostheB0907.jpg

:arghh: Ivy Leaf Floaters Arrived, but Totally Crushed in the Post. No Bouyancy Left in them, Have been tweezing the clumps apart but not found any good plants as yet.
Other Plants sent to me by Forumites also Sadly Crushed, I'm trying to save what I can. :arghh:
:twisted: Stupid RM :twisted:

Forgot to say, My LED Light Bulb Arrived this morning. And I Love it - Very Very White Light. And Only Cost 99p from Hong Kong
Just using it in an Old Desk Lamp.

Emitting Colour: White
LED Color: 6000K~7500K, cold white - Is this good
Light Source: 38 LEDs
Dispersion Angle: 180°

Felt Good this morning so took a walk to the Garden centre.
Got a Palm Plant, Lucky Bamboo, and a Lovely Fern. All for under £5.
Not found the Screening I want, but thinking i might not use it and have some nice potted plants around the edges. As Hydrphyte does with his pico's and Wabi's.

And Yes Finally have some money coming in After waiting over a Month for JSA to decide whether or not I am British. :crazy: :twisted: :silent:

Hi,
just being out, going around the fish shops, to research the best small fish for our wabi kusa projects:

Apart of the shrimps a solution might be the Heterandria formosa - the smallest live-bearer aka Least Killifish. I saw them in on of the LFS and they are small and cute. Should be ok with lower temperatures and small volume of water. They reach about 0,8 inches.

I cant recognise what species of killyfish Amano uses /see the link/- http://www.wabikusa.jp/howto/plant_glass.html hope someone can help :)

It looks like guppy to me....

Here I found a list of some really small fishes:

Boraras micros

Boraras merah

Microdevario kubotai

Hara jerdoni - Asian Stone Catfish

Freshwater bumblebee goby, Brachygobius xanthomelas

Danio erythromicron

I would probably go for the Heterandria formosa, but havent decided yet! I hope this will be helpful for you :thumbup:

No fish whatsoever are suitable for this set up, the volume is simply too small. Crabs would die because they're need an air temperature of 25c and a very high humidity. I think adding them would be tantamount to neglect.

Thanks Antoni, I have Kept all those fish before and they are Lovely. Wanting something different for this one.
I Currently have a few Heterandria Formosa (Gold) Females outdoors and they are doing Great. The females are alot bigger than the males and are too big for this.
I am Still looking for a bigger bowl, as this is becoming swamped with plants - Got loads of Floating plants in it and some others waiting to be planted.
Going to a Larger Car Boot in the morning near home to have a look around. I did see a few tanks this morning but they were all the wrong size.

While I was in the garden centre this morning I was looking at some Salad Bowls, sometimes you can find some nice large and deep ones.

I am really liking the LED Bulb, and should have changed over to them last year.

Almost done with my Little write up(another project) and should be ready soon.

Garuf said:
No fish whatsoever are suitable for this set up, the volume is simply too small. Crabs would die because they're need an air temperature of 25c and a very high humidity. I think adding them would be tantamount to neglect.

Yes you are right in some respects. As this is not the final Kusa, it is still in transition. And will change and get bigger As I find larger tanks/bowls to use.
And No, Not all Crabs would Die. Thai + Amber Micro Crabs would work very well, as they are fully Aquatic.

Ideally Looking for something like the 1st one on the left
cylinder-vase-bowl-set-of--clear-glass__0106640_PE254893_S4.JPG

I could also a Biorb type Bowl tank and Simply Raise the Planted level up, and still take advantage of the Biorb Filtration.

I was making reference to sulawesi crabs, I've looked into them exhaustively, their requirements make them quiet an undertaking with regards to water quality, temperatures and humidity, they're certainly not the survivors chinese mittens are.

Garuf said:
I was making reference to sulawesi crabs, I've looked into them exhaustively, their requirements make them quiet an undertaking with regards to water quality, temperatures and humidity, they're certainly not the survivors chinese mittens are.

No worries, I would love to do a Vampire tank at some point.

Me too, they need more land than water 60/40 and a very high humidity, a lot of people are reporting them to be arboreal too which only complicates things further, such interesting things, My issue is purely an aesthetic thing, I know how I'd keep them roughly, the thing is with such high humidities you get mist/condensation and I hate the stuff, Why have a beautiful viv/terrarium when you can't see anything in there?!

Garuf said:
Me too, they need more land than water 60/40 and a very high humidity, a lot of people are reporting them to be arboreal too which only complicates things further, such interesting things, My issue is purely an aesthetic thing, I know how I'd keep them roughly, the thing is with such high humidities you get mist/condensation and I hate the stuff, Why have a beautiful viv/terrarium when you can't see anything in there?!

Exactly, I have been watching alot of the Vids on Youtube, and there is a clear difference. Between those who are keeping the crabs and those who have setup a species tank for them. Pity the Species tanks look a mess as, as you said humidity and misting/condensation makes it look messy.

I did the search with the presumption that we are looking at minimum of 2 l of water.This is how much I have at the moment in mine.

So the Formosa would not do well in 2 l of water? :(

Maybe the killies are the best, as they are used to small puddles.. as long as they do not jump, but which one...

Or maybe shrimps and crabs...

No fish would do very good in 2l. Killi's aren't actually from puddles as a general rule, they're from ditches, killi is dutch for ditches, the over all volume of which will be much much larger than 2l and I suspect much greater than most peoples big tanks.

Another Bad Today today, Fallen over a few times while making Breakfast. So that is a No-No from the Wife to going anywhere.
The More I think about it, the more I like the Idea of Using a Biorb type tank or Bowl. Now New Would not buy, but seconhand they are quite cheap. Haved Saved a few searches on Ebay, If I cannot find one within what I am willing to spend. I will buy a 30Bowl from Range as they Do them on their own.
Filtration - Mod a Powerhead using Tubing and feed the Outlet onto the Wabi to feed it.
For the Submerged Section will Just plant the K.Grass as it is is Aquatic and some Hairgrass.

Hi Gill,i din't mean to pry,but do you suffer from some sort of illness :?: ,as you say you have fallen over a few time's,

john.

Back