• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spezial N - Nitrogen Fertilizer

Hi Mark or Tobi
Where are these on sale? Would they be any good for a non Co2 set-up?
I'm setting up a 30 litre Dennerle non Co2 for a pal with a hang on filter and small heater installed.
Will be using Dragon/Blue Stone or some wood....plants will be mostly crypts.
C/Flora base will be the substrate.
I'm concerned that there is urea/ammonia in the product......if I want to add some live stock later
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Hi Mark or Tobi
Where are these on sale? Would they be any good for a non Co2 set-up?
I'm setting up a 30 litre Dennerle non Co2 for a pal with a hang on filter and small heater installed.
Will be using Dragon/Blue Stone or some wood....plants will be mostly crypts.
C/Flora base will be the substrate.
I'm concerned that there is urea/ammonia in the product......if I want to add some live stock later
hoggie
Found the products here http://www.aquasabi.de/Fertilisers/Aqua ... 43_60.html Seems to be no Urea in the product sold.

But this is the recipe that Tobi gave earlier in the Topic.

for one liter water add :

25,9 g potassiumnitrate
29,5 g calciumnitrate
17,6 g magnesiumnitrate
5 g urea So is there or isnt there that is the question :?:
Cheers
hoggie

Hi,

as I'm the manufacturer of the Aqua Rebell fertilizers I can say that Urea is included in the Spezial N :).
For better understanding the amount of Urea is converted to NO3 in the dosing regime. 0,2 ppm of the NO3 come from the urea part.
On the bottle you will see that urea is in the ingredient list with the right concentration.

In some weeks the bottles will have English dosing instructions etc. too.

best regards
Tobi

thanks for sharing this tobi. seems to get the thumbs up. im going to give it a go my question is if i mix as your recipe. how much do i need to add to a 760l tank, is 45ml per day about right. will that give me 20ppm a week EI levels? don't want to get it wrong and poison my fish or starve my plants thanks for your help.

Hi

after reading most of this post I want to try make my own mix of this ferts if I can

I just need some help how can I mix this

25,9 g potassiumnitrate
29,5 g calciumnitrate
17,6 g magnesiumnitrate
5 g urea

just buy all this and add it to 1liter of water ?? is that simple or there some catch ??

all this will supply my tank with all needed ferts??

I'm just going to replace my kn03 with this and dose potassium phosphate and trace as before. then see what happens I've mixed it in one litre as the recipe definitely says to. still not 100% I'm adding the right amount but i re did my calculations and 45ml seems about right.

Hi all
Just mixed up my first batch of special N
Am I right in thinking that you only add 1ml per 50l ?
So for my 500l I would just add 10ml?
seems rather lean
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

you add as much "Spezial N" as your tank needs. 1 ml per 50 l only adds "1 ppm NO3".

And please remember => Spezial N is only a nitrogen fertilizer. It does not add any micronutrients and no phosphate. You need to add it additionally. If your tank needs more potassium => add more potassium too ;).

One small snapshot of one of my showtanks using the Spezial N, Mikro Spezial Flowgrow and Mikro Spezial Eisen and some additional Mikro Basic Phosphat:

360er-aktuell_resize2.jpg

Best regards
Tobi

Hi tobi thanks for the reply
So how many ml would you recommend for a 500l? I'm hopeless at working out ppm and have just been adding 2 teaspoons of kno3 and 1 teaspoon kh2po4 as ei
I did add some po4 to my mix and dose trace as well
Many thanks
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I would add around 1-4 ppm of NO3 depending on plants/light etc.

The tank seen in my last post gets ~3 ppm daily (3 ml per 50 Liter).

Best regards
Tobi

Tobi said:
Hi,

you add as much "Spezial N" as your tank needs. 1 ml per 50 l only adds "1 ppm NO3".

And please remember => Spezial N is only a nitrogen fertilizer. It does not add any micronutrients and no phosphate. You need to add it additionally. If your tank needs more potassium => add more potassium too ;).

One small snapshot of one of my showtanks using the Spezial N, Mikro Spezial Flowgrow and Mikro Spezial Eisen and some additional Mikro Basic Phosphat:

360er-aktuell_resize2.jpg

Best regards
Tobi

Hi, Could you please tell us how much and how many times at week do you dose each one of the ferts in this tank? (Spezial N, Mikro Spetial Flowgrow, Mikro Spezial Eisen and Mikro Basic Phosphat)

Thank you for your answer

Best Regards

Hi,

this was the daily routine:

Makro Spezial N - 22 ml
Mikro Spezial Flowgrow - 6 ml
Mikro Spezial Eisen - 3 ml
Makro Basic Phosphat - 10 ml

at the moment I'm experimenting at this tank with some other ferts:

Spezial GH Boost N (adds no Urea. Only CaNO3, MgNO3 and KNO3 - 2 ppm NO3 per 1 ml to 50 Litre tank water) - 15 ml
Mikro Spezial Hybrid (combination of my stronger stabilized Eisenvolldünger and the Flowgrow, has the chelators EDTA, DTPA, HEEDTA, Gluconat, Citrate and Ascorbat) - 5-10 ml
Spezial Eisen - 3 ml
Makro Basic Phosphat - 10 ml
After waterchange - 8 ppm potassium, 5 ppm magnesium.

Best regards
Tobi

Hi Tobi
Can I add Phosphate and extra Potassium to the diy recipe :arrow:
25,9 g potassium nitrate
29,5 g calcium nitrate
17,6 g magnesium nitrate
5 g urea
.....or will both react will the other ingredients.
Regards
hoggie

Hi Hoggie,

I have no problems with that mixture. I do test an All-in-one fert with those ingredients at the moment. But logically the calcium can precipitate with the phosphate. One DIY guy at flowgrow had some probs with it. You need to heat the solution...

One other quick shot of one of my Showtanks, no real scape... more a planted tank with some rare species:

aquasabi_240.JPG

Hi Tobi
Thanks for the quick response.
Nice tank love the colours....Ive noticed that you don't keep many fish in some tanks.
Is that because of the dosing regime or its because of choice or other factors :?:

Cheers
hoggie

Hi,

at the moment I do not have that many fish in some of my tanks. Mostly because I'm to lazy at the moment to get some new fish and decide what to get ;).
And to tell the truth I love plants more than fish :D. So no need to rush..., but especially the last shown tank needs some more fish. I want some pseudomogil gertrudae for that one but had no time to pick them up/order them.

Best regards
Tobi

Tobi
Can you give us a run down off your lighting durations and the wattage you used and how you prevented algae issues.
Also any other factors tips on keeping a fresh and vibrant looking clean tank.
hoggie

Hi,

i have very powerful light fixtures above my tanks (Easy Life Paradiso) but they are all dimmable and I only run them on 100% 1 hour per day. The rest is around 50% (which is still ~0,65 Watt per liter) at my 240 liter tanks., The 360 liter tank has less light due to it's bigger dimensions.

The light is on for 10 hours.

Regarding a fresh and vibrant looking tank I use a normal dosing regime and in time of problems with algae I use some Easy Carbo. So I think I'm doing excactly what everyone is doing ;). I think it's essential to find out what your tank needs regarding fertilization. Try around with different nitrogen sources and keep a "higher" nitrogen level. I run my tanks at 25+ ppm NO3. I do not dose that much trace elements but more iron/manganese. But especially phosphate, iron and trace dosings depends on your filtration. The more you filter the more you need to add. If you have a very high bioload in your filter you have to dose more. If your filter is only stuffed with filter foam you maybe need to dose less.
Those are things everyone has to find out individually. There is no "one fits all solution" out there. You have to tweak the fertilization, regardless of the fert system you are using (EI, PMDD or whatever). Those systems are a good starting point and with some tweaking you'll find the right dosage for your tank.

Of course... never forget to change water :D. I'm a big fan of 50% waterchanges once per week. If I have problems I change the water 2-3 times a week.

Best regards
Tobi

Cheers Tobi
Excellent reply.A few last questions do you use high lighting initially on a new set-up tank?
Is the tank fully planted? Do you use surface/floating plants.Do you use mature filter media from another filter?
Thanks again :thumbup:
hoggie

Back