• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Blue Sky' Iwagumi ...overgrown

Re: New journal, coming soon!

That'd work, is their much space behind the wood for stems?

Looks very nice, Mark. I'm looking forward to the stem-fest. :thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
Although it's fun placing wood, i'm actually starting to think more about the plant placement, and where stems should be trimmed etc.
That's how the real pros work. If you see some of their hardscape before planting you'll wonder what on earth is going on. Only 6 months down the line when the plants are matured and shaped etc. does it all come together.

Hardscape is an important aspect, of course, but shouldn't be overly relied upon in my opinion. The plants are the true paint on the canvas...

George Farmer said:
Looks very nice, Mark. I'm looking forward to the stem-fest. :thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
Although it's fun placing wood, i'm actually starting to think more about the plant placement, and where stems should be trimmed etc.
That's how the real pros work. If you see some of their hardscape before planting you'll wonder what on earth is going on. Only 6 months down the line when the plants are matured and shaped etc. does it all come together.

Hardscape is an important aspect, of course, but shouldn't be overly relied upon in my opinion. The plants are the true paint on the canvas...

Hi Mark,i like the design very much,but as George says,you are now thinking more about plant placement rather than too much on hard scape,if you take a real close look when you are walking in any wooded area,your rarely see the rocks or fallen branches,as these are covered in moss or hidden by plant growth,

john.

George Farmer said:
If you see some of their hardscape before planting you'll wonder what on earth is going on. Only 6 months down the line when the plants are matured and shaped etc. does it all come together.

so so true mate.

john starkey said:
your rarely see the rocks or fallen branches,as these are covered in moss or hidden by plant growth,

Again, so true.

I fall into traps. Trying to create what i think people want to see, rather than doing what i want to see.

I've reverted back to the original plan! NO HARDSCAPE.

Should be challenging, keeping everything in check.

Good to hear...read :/ I liked the no hardscape idea, should be good to watch and learn some trimming techniques and 'stuff'

Mark Evans said:
I've reverted back to the original plan! NO HARDSCAPE.
Good. Gotta try some different colors in there mate, this is your chance, you know fans tend to get bored seeing the same performance over and over again ... and you want to please the fans, don't you? :D

Cheers,
Mike

Mark Evans said:
I fall into traps. Trying to create what i think people want to see, rather than doing what i want to see.

It's good to remind ourselves of this sometimes :) As much as this "hobby" (I think it's more than that these days) is about trying to create something that others like - contests and all - I think at the end of the day we are the ones that have to look at the scape day in, day out and if it doesn't please us to look at then what's the point? :D

Mark Evans said:
Should be challenging, keeping everything in check.

I think you're more than qualified mate! 8)

Insightful comments! :idea:

Approval from others and how it may affect our own aquascaping path is an interesting discussion.

Mark has taken aquascaping and aquarium photography to great new heights in the UK, and I'd like to think this has been achieved with some help and encouragement from some UKAPS members. A real win-win scenerio.

However, I also think it's important to balance this with not losing one's sense of invidivuality and own creative path.

As one gets more experienced I think to attain the self-confidence to tread new ground becomes less challenging, and the perceived need for approval is reduced accordingly.

In summary, we know Mark's next creation is probably going to be great, but he doesn't need us to tell him so, or how to do it. However, I'm sure constructive comments are always welcome from all quarters... ;)

Keep up the great work mate! :thumbup:

clonitza said:
Gotta try some different colors in there mate, this is your chance, you know fans tend to get bored seeing the same performance over and over again ... and you want to please the fans, don't you?

Interesting mate. I didnt know i had fans :D , but yes, colour would be nice. Maybe i'll even try a few plants that i've never grown before. :thumbup:

SteveUK said:
I think at the end of the day we are the ones that have to look at the scape day in, day out and if it doesn't please us to look at then what's the point?

True steve. My 4 footer will be my baby, i think ;)

George Farmer said:
Approval from others and how it may affect our own aquascaping path is an interesting discussion.

Mark has taken aquascaping and aquarium photography to great new heights in the UK, and I'd like to think this has been achieved with some help and encouragement from some UKAPS members. A real win-win scenerio.

However, I also think it's important to balance this with not losing one's sense of invidivuality and own creative path.

As one gets more experienced I think to attain the self-confidence to tread new ground becomes less challenging, and the perceived need for approval is reduced accordingly.

In summary, we know Mark's next creation is probably going to be great, but he doesn't need us to tell him so, or how to do it. However, I'm sure constructive comments are always welcome from all quarters...

Keep up the great work mate!

Cheers George.

If i can help others, with short video's on trimming and things like that, i will. All for the benefit of the hobby

Tom said:
Yeah my trimming technique is awful, looking forward to some tips

I dont think it's 'tips' so much, but timing. You got the skills already mate :thumbup:

I'm just testing the new filter. An aquadistri Aquapro 600.

A nifty little thing, and considering it's smallish size, it's pretty good with flow.

I'm going to try a spray bar on this tank. It's running now, and the water movement is awesome.

I've now attached the in line diffuser.

Boy! incredible diffusion. The best I've had in a 60. The bubbles are being forced through the smaller holes and get even more obliterated.

Everything Is the wrong way around, but it's a simple check of 'things dont leak'

I'll now empty the tank and get everything tidy and ready for when it's planted. It should be just a case of filling, and switching on.

Unusually prepared for me o_O

_MG_3900new1.jpg

I think it's time now to start this as a journal.

So many pages in, and I've not done anything.

The substrate system is ADA powersand special (approx 3 litres) and capped with ADA amazonia. (9 litres.) Both from Aquajardin.

set-up-2.jpg

These were never intended to be 'Iwagumi' just layouts that use stone.

Boredom, gets the better of me sometimes, and having the tank sat empty really frustrates me.

random-3.jpg

random-2.jpg

random-1.jpg

I have the layout i intend to use, but i'll show that once i'm 100% happy :thumbup:

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those are the rejects, can't wait to see the one that you actually liked the most to keep.
I must say that hardscape no.3 is a winner for me, but i do not doubt your talent for rock placement.

Some nice Hardscapes - you could easily beat ADGs HArdscape only tanks :thumbup:

Gill said:
those are the rejects, can't wait to see the one that you actually liked the most to keep.

I'd actually like to scape them all. :( just not enough room for this many tanks. I'd be divorced otherwise.

Jur4ik said:
Some nice Hardscapes - you could easily beat ADGs HArdscape only tanks

Cheers Juri, but the senke bros. are awesome guys, and extremely skillful.

After much playing, I've gone full Iwagumi. It takes me back to 'The Henge' days, which is real exciting....high light, co2, ferts etc.

So, here's the layout, i may go with...

Layout-design-1.jpg

And here's an attempt at being creative :oops:

design-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. :thumbup:

Tom said:
are you sticking with the stems plan, or going for the proper low-growers look?

A bit of both Tom. hence the low substrate. I dont want the substrate to chew up all of the height, and the resort to trimming stems sooner than i should. ;)

Tom said:
How much of a substrate slope do you have?

2 inch to about 3 @ the back. the 135mm f2 flattens everything to death

Back