• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Blue Sky' Iwagumi ...overgrown

Re: New journal, coming soon!

I just Pm-ed him with hopes that he might include it in the Articles Section of UKAPS. Love to read the more detailed version of that post.

nice hardscape, Mark. What are the ideas on the planting??? It does remind me a lot of Georges hardscape in 'project scree'. Now, i know thats far from a bad thing. What are your thoughts?

I'm going to be much more emmersed growing, for future setups. especially mosses.

Here's the other thing I've trialled. Hydrocotyle sp. Japan.

I planted 4 little cuttings and the runners have developed in 1 week. This is ridiculously easy to grow.

hydro-sp-japan.jpg

My reasoning for this, was try and see how easy it was. Then over the summer, I'll grow loads on and send it out, in the knowledge it'll be algae free.

I sent some out recently, and royal mail trashed it.

ianho said:
nice hardscape, Mark. What are the ideas on the planting??? It does remind me a lot of Georges hardscape in 'project scree'. Now, i know thats far from a bad thing. What are your thoughts?

sand and mini landscape rock will always look similar. no matter what you do.

As mentioned, there wont be any hardscape. More along the lines of dutch :D

I'll be using all Tropica plants in this tank to, with a new one previously unreleased.

absolutely Stunning As Always.
The way you are growing your cuttings is interesting and will def give you great growth :)

interesting mate, i will hopefully get to pop over in the summer and see it in real life. I reckon you'll nail a dutch scape.

Gill said:
absolutely Stunning As Always.
The way you are growing your cuttings is interesting and will def give you great growth

i've tried a few planst like this. (cling film over the top) never fails.

ianho said:
i will hopefully get to pop over in the summer and see it in real life. I reckon you'll nail a dutch scape.

you know where i am.

here's the excact same plant, planted in full sun, outdoors, no water.

It grows tiny, and with a red stalk. perfect for wabi kusa, as it withstands low humidity.

hydro-1.jpg

I've got some Hydro. sibthorpioides on the go in an old Bonsai pot in plain soil (but very moist). It's started putting out new leaves now, and looks like it will start growing really well :) I've not had as much success with the mosses though - so far for me, BGA has been the issue.

Great hardscape - I'm assuming it won't be a straight-forward Iwagumi due to the tank's height and open space above the rocks? I absolutely love that layout so far though :D [EDIT] just seen you said no hardscape!!

Tom

Wow, that emmersed growth went ape! Haha

I'm going to give it a try, good for a wabi as you said mate. I didn't mean to compare this to George's, just mentioned the word scree for its actual definition, 'rock pile' ( I think) looks a bunch different to George's.

As you say no hardscape, I'm sure you have the skill to pull it out the bag, hardscape makes and breaks a scape, so when you don't use it your trimming planting and general 'skills' as a aquascaper are really put to the test...as I said sure yourll be fione though :)

Argghhhh... A bit of playing around with hardscape, and the wife wants wood!!!

She's such a fan of my wood, and every time i get it out, she loves it.

So maybe the 120, will be stem tastic!

nayr88 said:
I didn't mean to compare this to George's,

It's not a bad thing mate. ;)

Tom said:
Great hardscape - I'm assuming it won't be a straight-forward Iwagumi due to the tank's height and open space above the rocks? I absolutely love that layout so far though

Tom said:
[EDIT] just seen you said no hardscape!!

:lol: This is why i need several tanks.

I've done about 10 stone layouts, which i'd love to do, and about 7 wood scapes...all will never see the light of UKAPS forum!

Mark Evans said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

What ever you do it'll be great I'm sure.

Mark Evans said:
I'm going to be much more emmersed growing, for future setups. especially mosses.

Here's the other thing I've trialled. Hydrocotyle sp. Japan.

I planted 4 little cuttings and the runners have developed in 1 week. This is ridiculously easy to grow.
Hi Mark
Any chance of a few cuttings :?: to place in my little Nano set-up.
Will make a donation and pay postage.
hoggie

bigmatt said:
Me too! That's why i posted it up again - i've suggested it gets addded as a sticky thread but nothing yet...

Consider it stuck :)

Looks like you've got a moss factory going there Mark! What stones are you tying them with, slate chips or something?

The old 'wood' Gags eh Garuf...get's em everytime

SteveUK said:
What stones are you tying them with, slate chips or something?

Just bits of slate Steve. Garden centers stock them these days, loose. :thumbup:

hogan53 said:
Any chance of a few cuttings to place in my little Nano set-up.

2 weeks and I'll send some mate. :thumbup:

A little like the last, but with mainly stems?

wood-1.jpg

When ever i do something random with the wood, the wife just doesn't get it.

When some more wood arrives, this should change the overall look.

I really like it, to my eyes the forked wood on the left should break the surface too to balance the much taller right hand piece. It'll be brilliant no matter what, I've always preferred your wood scapes, they always have so much more "life".

hogan53 said:
Looking forward to both the new Scape and the cuttings

no probs :D

Garuf said:
to my eyes the forked wood on the left should break the surface too to balance the much taller right hand piece

I've actually lowered the right piece, in consideration of the trimming line of the stems. So yeah, it's more balanced.

Although it's fun placing wood, i'm actually starting to think more about the plant placement, and where stems should be trimmed etc.

I'm now preparing the plant list. :D

Mark Evans said:

Proof it's not the size but how you use it that counts. Liking the layout already

Back