• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spezial N - Nitrogen Fertilizer

Hi,

in some tanks I dose additional K2SO4 or some KNO3 besides the Spezial N. But not much additonal K+ for the tanks. Around 5 ppm more for the week.

Micros I use the AR Flowgrow.

Best regards
Tobi

Hi George,

I dose it dependend of what the tank needs. In some tanks around 2-3 ml per 50l in others only 1 ml per 50l daily. I get bba when I dose to much of it. A good indicator in my tanks. CO2 optimization does not solve this completely. I need to dose a little bit less micronutrients and up the co2 a bit. Easy carbo for some days and bba is gone...

Best regards
Tobi

Tobi said:
Hi George,

I dose it dependend of what the tank needs. In some tanks around 2-3 ml per 50l in others only 1 ml per 50l daily. I get bba when I dose to much of it. A good indicator in my tanks. CO2 optimization does not solve this completely. I need to dose a little bit less micronutrients and up the co2 a bit. Easy carbo for some days and bba is gone...

Best regards
Tobi
That's interesting, Tobi. Sounds like I've been overdosing Micro relative to you. BBA thankfully isn't an issue though. I've stopped liquid carbon dosing altogether in all my tanks now.

Do you find folk need more micros with harder water? Or is that not relevant?

Thanks for being so patient with all your answers too. It's really appreciated - I understand how busy you must be...

I cut back on the mikro a week ago or so. It just didn't feel right to put that much in.

I've also been adding Kno3 and po4 in small amounts. My plants in the 60 have never looked better. C heferi looks wonderful.

Hi,

you have to dose as much as your tank needs :D. With good filtration it's possible that you need to dose alot more from the AR Flowgrow. It's an organic stabilized Micronutrientmix with Fe-gluconate and Fe-citrate and quite some ascorbate.

Some users at flowgrow experiment with the mixture without adding urea. They report back the same good growth. One recipe was:

1 Liter:

Mg(NO3)2x6H2O: 44 gr.
Ca(NO3)2x4H2O: 26 gr.
KNO3: 26 gr.

per 1ml/50l

NO3: 1,02 ppm
K: 0,20 ppm
Ca: 0,08 ppm
Mg: 0,09 ppm

Best regards
Tobi

Here's a simple idea.

Can we add KH2PO4 directly to a bottle of Spezial N, so we can dose N and P together?

I assume the Spezial N isn't already at maximum solubility...

One for the maths boffs...

How much KH2PO4 would we need to add to a 500ml bottle to obtain 0.1ppm per 1ml solution in a 50 litre tank?

George Farmer said:
Here's a simple idea.

Can we add KH2PO4 directly to a bottle of Spezial N, so we can dose N and P together?

I assume the Spezial N isn't already at maximum solubility...

One for the maths boffs...

How much KH2PO4 would we need to add to a 500ml bottle to obtain 0.1ppm per 1ml solution in a 50 litre tank?

James' calculator makes it 3.7g or so George. I will do this myself it it will work, and drop TPN+ on the cube

Hi,

you can add PO4 to a Spezial N bottle. But you have to be carefull regarding the calcium and potassium. It can "stick together". Due to that I would mix up the Spezial N part first and than get some KH2PO4 into it. The solution will stay clear. I have a "All in one Mix" at the moment in testing.

Best regards
Tobi

Very interesting guys.

I was just wondering if anyone knows. In a high tech heavily planted tank what would be the nominal uptake of no3, K, p04, ca and mg? I know fert regimes like EI are supposed to eliminate the need to know but I am intrigued.

Faijay said:
Very interesting guys.

I was just wondering if anyone knows. In a high tech heavily planted tank what would be the nominal uptake of no3, K, p04, ca and mg? I know fert regimes like EI are supposed to eliminate the need to know but I am intrigued.
Lighting, CO2, substrate, circulation, plant type, biomass, fish load etc. etc. all impact on nutrient load and uptake. Every tank will be different.

I've dosed 20ppm NO3 per day before now, to prevent BGA.... :woot:

Tom Barr will have done some tests. Hopefully he will reply here...

I have just had an hour whilst the little one was asleep and read the whole thing. What a great read, and it is very interesting to see the results in peoples tanks. I have seen people referring to 'Toby's ferts'. Now i know! lol.

I have been using this for a week now since I setup my Iwagumi and I must say that I have never seen plants grow so green before, they look so healthy that its totally amazing. Thumbs up from me.

Garuf said:
How much are you dosing, Paulo?
I am dosing 10 pumps of each per day, I am not sure if they are 1ml each, the pumps look small for 1ml. (have not measured) doing water changes every two days at the moment.

Here's my update with these ferts.

I do add KNO3 and PO4 but in small amounts. Boy, i cant wait for my next stem scape. :D

ferts-2.jpg

Back