• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm "quemador lenta"...tank finished.

Re: 60cm "quemador lenta" simple update

Tom said:
That nano looks lovely!!

Cheers Tom. I'm trying to speed things up a bit. The 11w lamp wasn't really cutting it. It's on go slow mode.

Tony Swinney said:
something about the juxtaposition

Just checking the Oxford English mate :lol:

A fishy pic...

female-cherry.jpg

Those barbs are looking great Mark! Such an unusual choice, but boy they look good! Great pic!

Is it Hydrocotyle sibthorpoides? http://acvaristica.wordpress.com/2008/1 ... plante-ii/. You'll need to scroll down a bit or do a word search. There's a scape in the Book of ADA 2011 that is carpeted with it. It's the iwagumi with jagged rocks sticking out of the soil in a radial formation. Don't have the book with me so I can't tell you which page right now.

I just noticed how your filter intakes/outlets are attached and you might wanna be careful with those. If the suction cups come off, you may just be filtering your water onto the floor :lol:

Also just wanted to say that I really admire your motivation for photography. Half the time I think about setting up all the equipment and getting crappy shots and just give up :lol:

LondonDragon said:
those mosses coming along nicely

not as nice as I've grown in the past. I really need the tank to settle down :?

In an attempt to boost the moss, i increased the light intensity for 2 days. The moss, and everything else, pearled at an intense rate....

click the image for a larger view, and see the moss pearling.

pearling-moss.jpg

flygja said:
Is it Hydrocotyle sibthorpoides?

That's the one mate :thumbup:

B7fec said:
Those barbs are looking great Mark! Such an unusual choice, but boy they look good! Great pic!

Cheers Ben...still trying to do your moss some justice

Antoni Dimitrov said:
I think you will face a strong competitiveness at home soon and most likely you will need another set of scissors and tanks at least

hopefully he'll get into the hobby :lol:

I hadnt realised it was Hydrocotyle Sibthorpoides ! I have that in "Triassic Hollow" - got it from TGM when I first scaped the tank. It struggled with the 24" depth at first, but is coming back stronger now. I also have it growing emmersed very well in my propagator.

Not the same as having the provenance of Amano himself though !

Tony

stuworrall said:
I dont think the stuff in marks tank is Hydrocotyle Sibthorpoides. ive got loads of it growing in my 90cm and its nothing like the stuff thats growing in marks

Tony Swinney said:
This "sp. Amano" version has a more clover like leaf with deeper splits in the leaf, whereas the Sibthorpoides is rounder.

Yeah,I reckon it's different stuff.In the link it did look similar, I must admit.

I've noticed, that the ares of high flow, the moss was not doing so good. In areas where there was no flow, it was fine.

I've adjusted the outlet of the filter, so it jets more around the back of the tank. In 24 hours there's an improvement already in the moss.It pearls intensely the last few days.

Everything else is 100% fine and looking great.

I think also, after about 5 weeks, the tank is starting to 'settle down'

Here's a random skewed view.

angle1-1.jpg

Trimming time soon for the Hydrocotyle sp. Japan so i'll send some cuttings out. :thumbup:

I thought I'd share a bit of info that I've discovered over the last few days.

My moss hasn't been doing great recently. It's OK, but not amazing. Looking a little under the weather in places.

There's one patch, in a 'no flow' area which looks faultless. I thought I'd change the position of he out let, so that the foreground does not get any flow. In the 24 hours I've done this, the moss looks 50% better.

I'm thinking moss doesn't like that much flow at it?

As i mentioned earlier, my hydrocotyle is ready for a small trim. Maybe enough for one portion. I've 2 members that I'll supply first, just as a thanks for one or 2 things they've done for me. then hopefully the chain of supply can spread from there.

A lot of new growth from each node.

hydro.jpg

Another bit of info...

Snail infestation?

Cherry barbs are great at eating snails eggs! 8) They love em.

I found the same with moss and flow, did not like the flow at all.

The hydrocotyle looks amazing I was sent some by Tobi also and it compliments any tank well.

Nice pics the tanks looking great.

Looks lovely, Mark. :thumbup:

The Cherry barbs are a nice addition, and a useful maintenance crew too. The perfect fish!

Interesting observation on the moss. In my nano my Java moss grows best in full flow, but that's where most of the CO2 bubbles are 'hitting'.

I've just transferred some Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' into my jungle to fill in some gaps in the foreground. I'm thinking of using it for an entire carpet at some point in the future. I think it would suit a large Iwagumi with it's delicate but relatively large (compared to HC, glosso, hairgrass etc.) leaves.

What have you learnt from this layout that you can take forward to your next 120cm project? Will you be using a similar layout, as originally intended, or going for something new... I think I know the answer... ;)

George Farmer said:
What have you learnt from this layout that you can take forward to your next 120cm project? Will you be using a similar layout, as originally intended, or going for something new... I think I know the answer...

You certainly do! :lol:

With new ferts, and new plants, this is challenging. Diatoms plague me for much longer periods than before, so i'm still learning how to eradicate them.

The new ferts regime, seems to bring the best out in some species...vivid green plants. Crypts show huge improvements to.

As for the next layout...well, Dutch maybe? ;)

I'd still like to see this out- 3 or 4 months maybe. It's now at the stage, where i need to 'shape' everything. Stems need care and trimming, C helferi need thinning. etc etc.

Back