• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Topping up the tank?

tko187

I used to have the tank covered but i have now got a new light which sits on top of the tank so no need for hood any more. Was just wondering if it is ok to just keep topping up the water as it seems to evaporate pretty quickly. Would the water going low to the point where the flow from the filter is causing to much water movement on the surface affect the water chemisrty? Any help appreciated.

Anybody? I take it that was a stupid question?

Hi,
Yes you will change the water chemistry as the water evaporating from your tank is pure water,everything else will remain dissolved minerals, ferts etc. if you keep topping up the tank without regular water changes at least the water hardness will rise.

Hi, I am topping back with RO water. Always having some in bottles. As stated above salts remains in aquarium.

TKO187

I have a similar problem as mine's open top too - just top it up as required that's all i do. I add fertz as per my normal regime and nothing else.

Regards
paul.

Back