• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

190L Corner Tank

Noddy

Seedling
With the living all but finished and the new floor being laid this week I will be senting up my tank once more and I must admit I am really looking forward to it after seeing some really great tanks on this forum.
I can only hope mine will look half as good as some of them.
My Tank is a Fluval 190l corner tank. After reading and researching on this forum and with some advice from some other members I have changed the spec of the tank alittle'
I have upgraded the 205 filter that came with the tank to the 405 version and I have purchased a Hydro 900 powerhead to add extra flow.
Lights wise I have two new 24w Arcardia Plant Pro tubes and I have added two silver refelectors(old white plastic ones fell off ages ago)
I have also purchased all the bits and bobs to set up a DIY CO2 system using a FE. I am sure that I read that 2 and 50 was a good starting point on the gauges so will start with that. Cant remember if its par or what but will look that up
I have an old small powerhead which came with the Red Sea yeast system and that will send it around the tank nicely.
I have purchased some ready mixed dry ferts from Aquarium plant food (TFF Aquarium Plants Nutrition) and they advise 5ml per 50 litres.
I suspect that will all the substrate and bogwood etc my tank may be nearer 150-160 lt so I plan to start with 15ml.
I bought some Tetra substrate but once delivered I realised it will not be enough so I am waiting for some Columbia substrate from the planted box. i see they have closed there web page but as i ordered last week i'm sure it will come
A top layer of sand will be added for visual effect.
I plan to build the rear and sides up with Dragon stone leaving a sort of lower plain at the front.
On top of this raised area I have a nice piece of bogwood which I intend to plant up with Anubias Nana and Vesicularia Ferriei.
I think there will be a small space In front on the bogwood and plan to add a couple of Anubias Nana or Staurogyne repens and or pieces Ricca on stone .
Behind the bogwood are plan to plant, Heteranthera Zosterifolia,Hygrophila Corymbosa Siamensis,Ludwigia Glandulosa and Hygrophilla Difformis which I hope will give a nice mixture of colour and leaf texture.
To the sides I am thinking of Rotala Sp 'Green' and Echinoduras Aquartica.
In the very front I thought Pogostemon Helferi and as it will be lower I could let them grow up to the height of the Dragon Stone.
Space allowed I may well add something in the gaps in the Dragon Stone.
All this is of course subject to change once Ihave the hard scape up and running and I can see what space there actually is.
I was going to take some pictures but I cant find the camera, My nephew is staying and I guess the good lady is taking a million and one pictures
Before I finish can I just thank all those who answered my questions.
Updates to follow

Noddy

Plants order from TGM today

Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'green'
Echinodorus Aquartica
Echinodorus Bleheri
Heteranthera Zosterifolia
Hygrophila Difformis
Hygrophila Corymbosa siamensis
Junicus Repens
Ludwigia Glandulosa
Pogostemon Helferi
Staurogyne Repens
Vallisnernia Americana
Vesicularia Ferrieri
Anubias Barteri
Rotala sp 'green'

Hopefully these will look great

Good luck, Noddy!

Sounds like a nice set-up. I'm looking forward to the pics.

Noddy said:
I have also purchased all the bits and bobs to set up a DIY CO2 system using a FE. I am sure that I read that 2 and 50 was a good starting point on the gauges so will start with that. Cant remember if its par or what but will look that up
The first dial is the contents gauge, usually measured in Bar. At room temperature it's around 50 to 60 Bar when full.

The second gauge is the working pressure. This can be fixed or adjustable, depending on the type of regulator. 2 Bar is fine.

Bar is a unit of pressure. PAR is an acronym meaning photosynthetic active radiation, and is used to measure light intensity.

All the best,
George :)

Good luck with the corner, i look forward to seeing what you do with it.

I'm tearing mine down in the next month or so after using it for 4 years.

Best Regards,
John

The tank is almost planted completely planted now just waiting for a couple of pots which will hopfully arrive tomorrow.
Everything seems to be working although I did managed to smash one of my light tubes picking it up.
With the upgraded filter and powerhead there seems to be agood amount of flow with all plants swaying in the current.
The water is still a little cloudy and once clear I will add my pictures.

Noddy :thumbup:

Re: 190L Corner Tank One Week In

The tank has been set up for a week now and everything appears to be growing well.The only problem is a small amount of algae on the Hygrophila Difformis.
I have done a couple of water changes and it appears to be dying off but my water is still a little cloudy. In tanks gone by it has normally been crystal clear so i am finding this a little annoying.
I have managed to add some pictures but only as a link. I'll have to get one of the kids to show me what to do.
On another note is there a spell checker on this thing.

Noddy

Hopefully I have posted some pictures showing the differences between week one and week two.
As you can see everything is growing nicely

dscn4841u.jpg

dscn4845.jpg

dscn4847y.jpg

dscn4848e.jpg

dscn4850o.jpg

dscn4868a.jpg

dscn4869.jpg

dscn4870i.jpg

dscn4871b.jpg

dscn4872.

Looking very nice, the Pogostemon Helferi seems to be filling in nicely, and you've had some excellent growth judging by the pics, i'd be tempted to change the background to a plain or diffused one though (but thats just me!). Good luck and keep us posted.

Rowly ;)

:)

can you possibly use smaller image sizes next time (suggest 1024 or 800 pixels across) they take an age to load even on my broadband.

Back