• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Prairie Lands"... job done

Re: "Prairie Lands"... blue or white?

The old 'marmite' thing :lol:

chilled84 said:
white, As the blue brings the backround close and makes the overall image flat.

A good point mate.

I think with the blue, or this particular blue, it doesn't lend it's self very well at the moment. Maybe a little more subtle would work better.

Thanks for the input guys :thumbup:

I'm going with the white too Mark :) The blue looks darker than you've used before, or is that just the photo? The lighter blue from the video looks nice as well, but the white gives it that "ADA" look to me.

guess i'm the odd one out :rolleyes: ,blue for me :lol: .
is it still the card or the proper background you were going to get ?.

Hard choice... I love white backgrounds and it looks great in most scapes, but I think the blue works very well in this 'scape...
Actually, I think it looks very natural, like a meadow on a summers day. http://www.naturefocused.com/photograph ... eadow.html
But you might be right, that a more subtle blue will work even better..
It would be nice to see a full shot with white and blue background, and not just a close-up...

IMO the white gives more infinity look! If the blue is lighter it could give a similar look, but I think it will depend on the back light too!

Antoni Dimitrov said:
but I think it will depend on the back light too!

I'm struggling here, but i will get there.

The trouble is 2 x 200w flash isn't enough to the job properly. I'm trying to use the tank lighting and flash.

This is an experimental pic. I'm going through many variations of this set up.This particular one didn't work very well.

lighting.jpg

I'll need to nail it in the next 6 weeks or so.

JEK said:
Actually, I think it looks very natural, like a meadow on a summers day. http://www.naturefocused.com/photograph ... eadow.html

great link jek, thanks.

nelson said:
guess i'm the odd one out ,blue for me .

SteveUK said:
I'm going with the white too Mark

Marmite anyone? :lol:

Tricky stuff Mark - I really think you need three 200w lights, 2 to light the tank and one for the background, and I reckon you need at least a couple of feet between the tank and the background so you can nicely light the background.

For me its definitely the white one, though a paler blue, lit with a subtle central glow would work well.

Good luck with it, tank looks the nuts :)

Tony

Tony Swinney said:
Tricky stuff Mark

with just 2 lights, yes. I've just installed another 54t5 to the rear. It's quite bright now.

Tony Swinney said:
tank looks the nuts

Cheers Tony. If only the rocks were the same colour :? ...next time.

We need some quality stone in the UK @ good prices.

Tony Swinney said:
Indeed ! I'm about to do a scape with rockery slate from the local garden centre - £2.50 each, no matter what size weight, and they've some 10kg+ bits

Awesome mate. look forward to it.

The above stones were 13p per kilo. It was my Bad for scaping the tank a second time, knowing the stones were a different colour.

Mini landscape rock scape next for me :thumbup:

Mark

Have you ever tried a grey to white gradient as a background? I think it could look kinda of cool?

What do you reckon?

A

andyh said:
Have you ever tried a grey to white gradient as a background?

No mate. I dont think it would work to be honest...It'd look a little un natural i think. maybe wrong though.

It's been a couple of weeks since the trim, and as usual, tenellus runs circles around you.

Here's how it is at the moment. You can just make out the (bah humbug) christmas tree to the4 right of the shot.

after-trim-2.jpg

Not long now, and i'll be taking the final shots.

Re: "Prairie Lands"... after trim

George Farmer said:
Maturing nicely mate.

It's getting there mate :thumbup:

oliverar said:
Looking good

cheers oliver. :D

Tom said:
I really wasn't sure about this at first, but looking at this latest few shots it's showing real quality

Cheers Tom, I find iwagumi, or stone layouts are much easier to see further down the road. I wouldn't mind if every scape i did was an iwagumi.

Back