• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

a little off topic but still plants?

mattyc

Hello guys,

I know there are some green fingered people on here and i have an odd question that might be applicable a little to tanks.

I am doing an engineering dissertation on alternative fuels and materials that can be used to build and fuel cars, I am trying to find how much Co2 is absorbed by a plant to compare to the amount that is produced by the engine does anyone have any info on calculating the amount that will be absorbed?

Hi all,
Come on Matt, you are not trying very hard, there are whole journals devoted to this.
Try Google Scholar - I searched on "biofuels CO2" .
This brings up 31,000 hits. First one up is "Biodiesel CO2 emissions: A comparison with the main fuels in the Brazilian market".
Abstract: The use of biodiesel is increasing as an attractive fuel due to the depleting fossil fuel resources and environmental degradation. This paper presents results of an investigation on the potentials of biodiesel as an alternative fuel and main substitute of diesel oil, comparing the CO2 emissions of the main fuels in the Brazilian market with those of biodiesel, in pure form or blended in different proportions with diesel oil (2%, 5%, and 20%, called B2, B5, and B20, respectively). The results of the study are shown in ton CO2 per m3 and ton CO2 per year of fuel. The fuels were analyzed considering their chemical composition, stoichiometric combustion parameters and mean consumption for a single vehicle. The fuels studied were: gasoline, diesel oil, anhydrous ethyl alcohol (anhydrous ethanol), and biodiesel from used frying oil and from soybean oil. For the case of biodiesel, its complete life cycle and the closed carbon cycle (photosynthesis) were considered. With data provided by the Brazilian Association of Automotive Vehicle Manufacturers (ANFAVEA) for the number of vehicles produced in Brazil, the emissions of CO2 for the national fleet in 2007 were obtained per type of fuel. With data provided by the Brazilian Department of Transit (DENATRAN) concerning the number of diesel vehicles in the last five years in Brazil, the total CO2 emissions and the percentage that they would decrease in the case of use of pure biodiesel, B100, or several mixtures, B2, B5 and B20, were calculated. Estimates of CO2 emissions for a future scenario considering the mixtures B5 and B20 are also included in this article." Your search for "biofuels CO2 " would return 5650 results on ScienceDirect."

cheers Darrel

Back