• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Barren [Oops little accident - Taken Down]

Re: The Barren

So CRS are doing Well, Also Found a Green Shrimp in the Main Tank. Caught and transferred to this as she has a Saddle.

Quick Video (excuse the noise, that is my Co2 Atomiser - I use the impeller in the Hob to atomise the Co2, find it works better than the Diffuser).

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/video/video.php?v=1655383746187

Moss Does not do well in here, Turns brown and dies.
HC is doing well, Has started to grow. Hoping it will send out runners when bigger. I am Planning on ditching the Hob, as I don't like looking at it.
I am going to make my own External, Have all the supplies lying around in the garage. Watching and reading How To vids and threads on forums/Youtube, the Snap lid Sandwich/Storage Tupperware looks best. Will be using a Pico Pump from an Old Water feature as the Pump.
I am still deciding what to use fot the Inlet/Outlet.
So Far Ideas are:
Inlet: Bic Pen, Acrylic Tubing, Syringe, Acrylic Test Tube, Dropper, Pippette, Baster, An Old Mettalic Highlighter Outer Casing & Cap for the Strainer.
Outlet: Again from same items as above or Mod a Peice of Tubing Using the heat from the Cooker to Create a Lilly outlet.

After a little reading on the experimentation with the above items, And past Modding.
An Old Mettalic Gel Pen is going to work the best. I can use the whole pen without any waste.
As the Cap is very tight fitting, to prevent the nib drying out it will work perfectly as the Inlet Strainer. I can also push some Sponge onto it to act as a Prefilter.
I will cut the Pen Barrell in Half and the End with the stopper will become a Spray Bar. I also have the Correct daimeter Acrylic Tubing that will push fit onto the barrel of the pen to create both Inlet/Outlet Tubing (have used before to mod an Azoo Mignon 60 Hob inlet and Fit a Tank Rim Better).

Going to start work on the Filter in The Afternoon After Some Clothes shopping for the little ones birthday. Gotta Love George Sales :)

Bought the Jar for the Filter Housing, And have decided to use Nylon Scouring Pads (round)as the Filter Medium. Had read that they are excellent Filter Mediums and provide a Vast Amount of Area for benefecial bacteria to Colonise.

Here are pix of the process
I Used Hot Glue to Glue All the Peices together and It Works Great.
The Inlet and Outlet Look Very Nice and The Flow from the Spray bar can Be Adjusted from a Dial on the Pump.
There is still a Bit of Air in the Canister, but that is to be expected with the way it is put together. And from the Videos I have Watched. Hopefully the air will clear on its own, But No Biggy if if does not.
When Waiting to fill it epmtied 1/4 of the total volume of the tank.
Having an external also means I can raise the level of the water to the rim, which i like.
I am Very Pleased with How this has turned out for only my 2nd Attempt at making an External.
Pump
001-4.jpg

Canister
006-1.jpg

005-1-1.jpg

Media
008-3.jpg

I am Most proud of Finding a Use for this Nozzle from a Tube of Sealant.
004-3-1.jpg

Inlet
011-1.jpg

Outlet
013-1.jpg

All Glued together and Dry.
014-1.jpg

In Situe
019-2-1.jpg

023-1-1.jpg

022-2.jpg

Re: The Barren [DIY External Made and Added 20/10/10]

Star Moss has been Fully Submerged this morning, and will monitor to see how it goes in transition. So Far being just under the water by a few mls has not affected it.

Nice job on External :thumbup: and lovely tank. Any idea whats the turnover? Beeing a shrimp tank the turnover probalbly isnt the main target though.

Looking great! couldn't quite tell, have you got something to cover the inlet with to stop the shrimplet's getting sucked up?

Turnover No Idea, But the Flow in Minimal. Just enough to keep the riccia spinning on the surface.

On the strainer, no Cover as yet. as above flow is minimal, If any get sucked up. no Worries there is plenty of room in the canister. But will obvously monitor this.

ianho said:
that external is great Gill!

Thanks, It is also Surprisingly quiet. Did not expect that. The one thing that annoyed me was that i had forgot to thread the plug cable thru the Lid before wiring it up. So Had to unwire it and feed it thru. Thankfully i had not yet glued the filter to the lid.
I am glad i made this, as I was going to buy one of the Resun Canister Filters. This way I was able to customise it to my exact needs. :D
Total Price for this was £2 quid. As i already had everything else, just needed the scrubbies and Jar.

Filtration is Excellent and water is Crystal Clear now. Flow has settled down alot and is pleasing.

got to be mentioned again. superb little external you have made there :)

hijac said:
got to be mentioned again. superb little external you have made there :)

Thanks.
I forgot to state that Having A Dremmel Multi is invaluable when buidling this, made it alot easier.

LondonDragon said:
I am liking that mini external hehe great DIYing skills :)

Thanks, I have changed it slightly. Found that debris was accumulating just before the Piping starts. So Cut the inlet off and pushed on some filter foam. Will adjust the Piping and reattach when I get a chance.

Have Decided to Add Some Micro Crabs, Found some and Price is Ok.

Back