• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

English woodland Long overdue update

Re: English woodland FISH IDEA,S NEEDED PLSE

misscaretaker said:
I'm going to second the pencilfish. I have these in my 2' and although they are the only inhabitants other than shrimp they shoal together and have done for 3 years. I'm in the process of starting a 3' on the lines of a Yorkshire Dales beck for them and for a tank based on an English landscape I think pencilfish are perfect. Any of the really bright coloured fish, although beautiful, wouldn't look "English" if you follow my drift. That's my take on it anyway...

I think i could be agreeing with you young lady :thumbup: ,
cheers john.

Mark Evans said:
I forget what the real red one is called, but it's a type of pencil fish. when coloured up there stunning.

This was from early Autumn blush

pencil3.jpg

Yes they do look nice and not too colourful :thumbup: ,
cheers john.

I believe mine are the Beckford's or Golden Pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi) and although it says they prefer acidic conditions, they have been great in my Hampshire water which is as hard as it comes. I have to say that I absolutely love them!

Hi all,
Steve Chesters (Ste12000 on Ebay) had some Coral Red pencils for sale recently. They would be a lot cheaper than shop bought. I haven't kept them but I think the males tend to fight with one another, so it would be useful to buy them from some-one who knows a bit about them. I've had N. marginatus (Dwarf Pencil), and they are highly recommended.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for all the suggestions,i have plenty of time to make up my mind so i wont rush things,paul (flyfisherman) thanks to you too,
regards,
john.

samc said:
looking good john :thumbup: nice to see you back into scaping again.

i would never buy from ste1200 on ebay again!

i bought some killifish eggs and brineshrimp. never recieved a thing! and egnored all emails.

Thanks Sam,i must admit it is nice having a tank to look at again even though its a lot smaller than my last one,
regards,
john.

Hi All,pressurised co2 added today at 1500,by 1830 the drop checker had turned from blue to a nice limeade colour,i am running 4BPS as i dont have any live stock at the moment,i am using a diffuser placed directly under the filter out take pipe,i find this method has always worked well for me,
regards,
john.

It's nice to get the whole set up up and running eh john?.... :D

Looking forward to pic update.

Mark Evans said:
It's nice to get the whole set up up and running eh john?.... :D

Looking forward to pic update.

its amazing how the co2 gets the plants growing,its been going just over a week and plant growth is really good,i planted the marsilea on saturday and then cut it right down,its already throwing out new shoots,i dont have any algae problems at the moment but i do have a slight problem with surface scum,its like a thin film of fat but i just scoop it out each evening, i think its down to the new filter still maturing thats what me and a friend think anyway,i will try and get some pics up over the weekend of plant growth,
regards,
john.

Re: English woodland

IMG_0151.jpg

Not sure how I missed the planted pics mate!

It looks great already and will turn into a real stunner, I'm sure.

The fresh green and leaf shape of the Staurogyne contrasts nicely with the moss and ferns. Refreshing. :thumbup:

Any update pics? I'd never keep my L-glass and 7D away from the tank if I were you! :lol:

Hi John..The woodland scape is looking great and cant wait for the tank to fill in..

I've kept the Coral Red Pencil fish ' Nannostomus mortenthaleri ' Prefers dim lighting and will show its colours better over a dark substrate. It looks superb in a heavily planted setup decorated with pieces of bogwood and twisted roots, (sounds like your scape) with a layer of surface vegetation to dim the lighting a touch.

It's best kept in a group of at least 6 fish. Rival males are territorial with one another, but in a heavily-planted tank any serious damage can usually be avoided.

I've also kept Microrasbora Kubotai...These are great but I've found unless you have got your lighting positioned correctly you miss the effrerescent green markings... Mine look better from a side view in my 30cube nano...

Most small nano fish are jumpers and I've lost a few CPD's, Pygmy Corydoras, so it's a gamble whatever you stock, although some form of floating plant usually helps.

You should also look at Emerald Rasbora, shy at first but will come into colour within your stunning nano... :thumbup:

Anubia said:
Hi John..The woodland scape is looking great and cant wait for the tank to fill in..

I've kept the Coral Red Pencil fish ' Nannostomus mortenthaleri ' Prefers dim lighting and will show its colours better over a dark substrate. It looks superb in a heavily planted setup decorated with pieces of bogwood and twisted roots, (sounds like your scape) with a layer of surface vegetation to dim the lighting a touch.

It's best kept in a group of at least 6 fish. Rival males are territorial with one another, but in a heavily-planted tank any serious damage can usually be avoided.

I've also kept Microrasbora Kubotai...These are great but I've found unless you have got your lighting positioned correctly you miss the effrerescent green markings... Mine look better from a side view in my 30cube nano...

Most small nano fish are jumpers and I've lost a few CPD's, Pygmy Corydoras, so it's a gamble whatever you stock, although some form of floating plant usually helps.

You should also look at Emerald Rasbora, shy at first but will come into colour within your stunning nano... :thumbup:

Thanks Anubia,some very good advice and fish selection idea,s,Dan gave me five cherry shrimp on sunday,and they have all settled in very well,
IMG_0827.jpg

i will hopefully find time to post some pics up of plant growth on saturday/sunday

regards,
john.

Back