• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree

i haven't seen such a minimal iwagumi since long time! like to see when it's mature at your eyes!

Thanks guys.

I recently added 15 new fish; Hemigrammus erythrozonus or Glowlight tetra.

I didn't go for the glassfish in the end, as the stock in the shop didn't look too good. The Glowlights are another subtle addition and they shoal really nicely. They're out in the open and eating dry food readily so I'm happy with my choice.

Also added 12 Amano shrimp that have already made the tank look spotless.

The hairgrass is sending out new runners and is growing in height nicely.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

One of the most overlooked tetras garnering the highlight, a good choice I'm sure. How are the fish taking to it being so "bright", if they're eating I'd assume well?

Garuf said:
One of the most overlooked tetras garnering the highlight, a good choice I'm sure. How are the fish taking to it being so "bright", if they're eating I'd assume well?
Yes, definitely an underrated tetra IMO. I've hardly seen them used in aquascaping.

The fish look secure in their surroundings. They're not hiding at all, and already anticipate feeding as soon as I approach the tank. They're display their orange colouration nicely too. Bolder than in many images I've seen online, anyway.

CO2 is around 20ppm by my calculations, which I think helps too. Nearer 30ppm CO2 and most fish, IME, seem to be less active. Does anyone else notice this?

I suppose the water quality helps, added to the fact no doubt they'll be used to bare tanks? I'm pretty certain glowlights are farmed rather than wild harvested.

I've noticed a lethargy at around 40-50ppm but not really as low as 30ppm, it's dependant on the fish and the scape, I found that my tetras were always active in the flow and ate very well, when I moved the hardscape about it created a pocket of dead water between a rock and some ferns I found that the fish soon started to linger in this position where the flow was minimal and started to eat much less, maybe it's something similar you're noticing unless of course you've actually initiated the change in behaviour by upping or lowering the co2?

Garuf said:
I suppose the water quality helps, added to the fact no doubt they'll be used to bare tanks? I'm pretty certain glowlights are farmed rather than wild harvested.
Yes, these were farmed in big tropical ponds in the Far East, and the tank in my LFS was almost bare.

The CO2 points are interesting. Of course, there's no really accurate way of measuring our CO2 levels either, unless you have a pH computer attached to your drop checker solution.

When you read some of Amano's older literature his tanks are rarely quoted having over 20ppm CO2. This combined with the quantity of light and low nitrates, however, does bring into question the accuracy of the parameters stated.

Not much to report, really.

The hairgrass is showing an interesting growth pattern in the low light and inert substrate. It's growing upwards and not sending out many runners at all, which is perfect for this tank! :D

This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago, and the tallest parts of the hairgrass are now almost to the spray bar.

4897230476_6e41c9e10e_b.jpg

The Glowlight tetras are proving to be a great fish and have coloured up brilliantly. Another underrated fish in my view, and one you rarely see at their full potential in the shop.

4896635449_6c02c54e26_b.jpg

Long-term I'm considering filling out the open substrate to the sides with a smaller plant that complements the hairgrass.

Utricularia graminifolia is tempting but notoriously difficult. There's different views on whether it needs low or high nutrients, low or high light etc. etc. Experiences and opinions welcome, of course!

Another option could be Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

I have the option to add up to 4 x 24w, but would rather stay with 1 x 24w as it's so trouble-free. No hint of algae, after 5 weeks now. Although the 12 Amano shrimp are constantly grazing the substrate and rocks for something...

Regarding UG if you have PH<6.5 and very soft water you are fine, it's a carnivorous plant in fact.

Nice tetras btw :D

If it's like other carnivorous plants, then UG should prefer an inert substrate. However I've seen it in ADA soil and Flourite. Some say it doesnt like liquid carbon, whereas others report that dosing Excel hasnt caused problems.

Utricularia graminifolia is tempting but notoriously difficult. There's different views on whether it needs low or high nutrients, low or high light etc. etc. Experiences and opinions welcome, of course!

Looks like the perfect challenge then ;) Of which I'm sure you could pull it off.

I've been tempted by UG but I would go for my traditional dry-start - I don't think your fishes would appreciate that though :lol:

The tank looks excellent too btw.

Cheers,
Neil

the best UG carpet what i've seen was in a Japanese tank. Placed 43 this year on IAPLC. that's my all time fav UG.

43.jpg

everything else just attepts ;)

they keep it in soft water. i also trying in soft water which seems to work well. however because of the changing hardness from RO water and Seiryu stones my GH/KH is like a roller coaster. that's why it's probably not growing to a decent carpet. but the plant looks healthy.

i also realized if you trim regulary the UG stays down. otherwise this grows large enough to pull out itself or the whole carpet from the soil.

clonitza said:
Just for the history of this plant in aquascape I've wanted to share with you Oliver's setup: http://www.pbase.com/plantella/hc60

yup this was great the UG health is awesome this is also my fav, but the scape was pretty unorganized :D

here are some other stunning examples.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/435 ... bcbc_b.jpg

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank- ... ion-5.html

http://colectivo-cae.blogspot.com/1998/ ... quino.html

Back