• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

clive tell us about Mazzei injectors,

mdhardy01

in a previous post you said it was for another day
could you tell us about them ?
can they be converted for co2?
do they make them small enough for aquarium/tank use? :thumbup:

Well, Mazzei injectors are basically industrial gas/chemical injectors made by that company. There are other brands, but these were the first to be used on a large scale basis. They are basically a venturi and work the same way as a carburettor, lowering the pressure at the throat which pulls the gas into the flow stream, allowing a highly saturated mixture of water and gas at the exit. They are so effective that they can pull the pH down in a large tank by one unit in about 20 minutes, but there are several requirements;
1. You need a fairly strong water pump to push through the injectors to get sufficient pressure drop. External pumps, made by companies such as Iwaki or Magnum are commonplace here in the states but not so available in Europe.
2. The sizes of the injector and piping is critical for efficient operation.
3. Special fittings are necessary to connect to the the injectors.

None of these problems are insurmountable, but it's just that one has to do a lot of homework to figure out the schematic, to get the right pumping power and so forth.

Here is a typical connection scheme. The injector is that black pencil sized object at the very bottom middle. Water flows through the two horizontal white branches with a flow control valve at the top. In the middle of the injector you can see a connector for CO2, which fits at the throat of the venturi.
Mazzei001-1.jpg

Here is Mazzei's homepage => http://www.mazzei.net/products/typ_install.htm

Really, this system is serious, and it's only for large tanks, i.e. 100G and up because small errors can result in gangland style execution of the fish in no time flat baby. Mazzei is strictly for the unrepentant Don Corleone CO2 Mafioso (like me 8) ).

For more data check out The Barr Report and search using Mazzei. You'll find tons of info but it can be bewildering. Here is a good thread to start with: => http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... azzei-Plan?

Cheers,

my god a drop of 1 point in 30 mins thats crazy!!!
i thought there might be a way of connecting them to the outflow of an external but obviously not.
if the gas was being regulated via needle valve and bubble counter would you still get such a dramatic ph drop or is this not possible because of the vacuum that is being created by the water flow through the injector?
these would seem to be the most efficient method of getting co2 into a tank and im sure if one of our sponsors were to produce one for tanks they would be bought by most.
i know that you (clive) use cal aqua inlines would the mazzeis be something you would consider?
thanks
matt

Oh yes, I'd definitely consider this on the 150G. I've just been too lazy to do the planning. Outflow from typical filter pumps don't provide enough energy to run the system properly. Evidently, the minimum numbers are somewhere around 2000LPH. The needle valve on the CO2 regulator is still used, and the working gas pressures are the same. It's the pressure drop at the venturi throat combined with strong flow rates in larger diameter tubing that forces the gas into solution so effectively. Of course, because of the high flow rate, you get much better distribution.

This takes a lot of research and development so our sponsors and other vendors aren't going to invest resources unless there are clear marketing advantages. Large tank owners need to get the ball rolling in order to figure out what works and what doesn't. :geek:

Cheers,

Fancy playing with one of these on my 7ft tank. I am running 15000 ltrs per hour so flow would not be an issue. Looks like a nice project for the winter.

Simon

Yes, your tank is a perfect candidate mate. You also seem to be very handy, so this project is right up your alley. :thumbup:

Cheers,

If you go aheadut us know would be really interested
Thanks
Matt

Back