• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock' THE BIG STRIP

Mark Evans

Expert
After ripping down the old tank, i soon went out and bought some river stones. cheap as chips too.

gravels etc i already had. half an hour of placement and I'm done. I really didn't want to get too deep into thinking about the scape so went with gut instinct. There's no height neither, I simply didn't want it. :D very random, made life easier

plants shall be roughly....vallis, crypts and maybe something else. All in the back. hopefully it shall resemble a stream or something similar. Low lighting too :shh:

i've worked on the grading since this image.

fragle-rock.jpg

Re: Saintly's 120cm' Fraggle rock'

cheers nelson. :thumbup: i'm stepping outside my comfort zone.

here's a front view showing no height :D

front-view.jpg

that looks cool this is what i was trying to get but my tank was just too high but looks really good

cant wait to get a new tank now and start something new :)

Looking good Mark, was looking for similar stones for my tank but never found them :( was trying to setup a tank for Sulawesi shrimp and those would look cool ;)

That's a very natural and original looking hardscape layout, and river stones are tricky to work with.
I find the lack of suface texture on these types of stone makes it difficult to acheive a good sense of scale.
I can't wait to see it planted :thumbup:

Cheers,
James

samc said:
i set up a 80cm the other day using them big stones in a similar way.

lets see it mate :thumbup:

James Marshall said:
hat's a very natural and original looking hardscape layout, and river stones are tricky to work with.
I find the lack of suface texture on these types of stone makes it difficult to acheive a good sense of scale.
I can't wait to see it planted :thumbup:

cheers James. Yeah, there tough stones. I was leaning towards iwagumi style with these rocks, but then thought that rivers and streams are a lot less 'organised' so placed everything randomly.

LondonDragon said:
was looking for similar stones for my tank but never found them

these cost me a fiver :thumbup:

alan_uk said:
cant wait to get a new tank now and start something new :)

happy days mate. nothing like the hardscape process :D

Here's the full frontal. I've blackened the background, but when it comes to planting and live view, it'll be white background.

fraggle-full.jpg

Cracking job mark, i will be interested to see how you plant it?

andyh said:
i will be interested to see how you plant it?

initially, i thought it'd be easy, but the more i think about it the more ideas pop in my head. A half and half idea is floating around my brain at the moment. a little like that public scape in Japan. o_O

Very very nice. The scale of it, the ADA style equipment, lighting, and minimalism makes the whole scape 'pop'. Its funny how context completely changes how we see see things; a collection of 'randomly' placed rocks with immaculate presentation can be stunning. I'm guessing this is a lot of what makes up a lot of Amanos thinking in that all the attention is on the 'scape because of the minimal equipment. Great work!

Neil, thanks mate. truly. :angelic:

I've been playing around with an old scape of mine, which was full of vallis. Now this isn't how it's going to go, but it gives an indication of how it may look. Theres so many variations of planting schemes.

ignore the rough PS work

maybe-1.jpg

Very nice mate.

A similar concept to my next layout in terms of simplicity. Less is more and a complete contrast to your previous set up, which is a deliberate move I'm guessing... ;)

You're welcome to borrow my Cornwall rocks, as discussed. More texture and interest, but with the smooth river feel.

How to set up a White Cloud biotope | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

I have more rocks than are shown here. ;)

I love these simple river rock style layouts. Easy to plant up too.
Often looked at George's white cloud tank and imagined how easily it could be changed to a planted tank. Really very simple too, moss stones, some tennelus maybe, and hairgrass.

Nice! Has tranquil written all over it. Reminds me of the Amano's Niigata showroom's entrance tank.

I am still mourning the loss of your old scape. I am not sure I am ready for a new one :p I like the look of what your doing with this new scape.

FishBeast said:
am still mourning the loss of your old scape.

sadly it had to go mate :thumbdown:

flygja said:
Nice! Has tranquil written all over it.

thanks flygja :D

jay said:
Easy to plant up too.

the most simplest thing yet :lol:

just need the vallis to fill in now. Theres crypts, grass and a couple of lillys too.

Only time will tell if this works. Over all though I'm chuffed with the stones and placement. A shoal of tetras would really be the focal point in this tank. It's more like a fish tank rather than a planted tank.

planted-1.jpg

Here's the full tank shots. This is soooo different to anything i've done.

I've blanked out the lights with gaffer tape...red! that's all I had, but it looks cool. The rocks show a better colour.

fts-3.jpg

red-hue.jpg

Back