• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My top tip for trimming moss

JamesM

Get yourselves one or two of these:

hairclip001.jpg
hairclip002.jpg

Simple hairdressing clips. I'm lucky as most of my family are hairdressers, but there's lots of places you can get them, very cheap too... like: http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/pack-of ... 0-009.html

Simply attach to the moss you want to remove, then snip underneath with some sharp scissors. Instead of bits of moss falling away and eventually getting blown about by your filters, caught up in stems, rockwork, gravel, etc. all the cuttings are contained within the clip for easy removal :)

Simplesâ„¢ :thumbup:

with you i never know if you're joking or not :D .

got any pics of you in action ;) .

Sounds like a great idea. I've had to trim moss while doing a water change with a gravel cleaner just to make sure it all gets sucked up.

A good tip, i shall keep my eyes open for some. :thumbup:

Up to now, whats worked best for me is switch all off, then prune, and at the same time have the wife hold the syphon tube above and catch most of the bits. Some always escape, only to regrow were its not wanted.

Any other top tips on moss pruning out there ?

Nice tip from James.
I do similar, but use my fingers as the clip (like a hairdresser does). I think his way looks easier.

bogwood said:
Any other top tips on moss pruning out there ?

- Cut it really short (it encourages it to grow denser,and in some mosses it also encourages it to creep\anchor).
- Always cut it, never pull it.
- Cut it regularly (too many layers and you risk the lower layers dying off).

nelson said:
with you i never know if you're joking or not :D .

got any pics of you in action ;) .
hahaha :p

No pics... was going to do some, but then I realised my cherry barbs have bred, and the young are hiding in the moss :thumbup:

Back